Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hipfan, Aug 20, 2005.

1. hipfan

hipfan Member

I just installed some of these on a Robin Wrangler Tele-type. The guitar originally came with Grover mini-Roto's, which I first replaced with Sperzels. I'm a big locking tuner fan, and Sperzels always have seemed like the best option to me due their light weight and ease of use (IMO).

Well, these Planet Waves tuners may change that. These things are just as easy to use as the Sperzels. They're smooth as silk with excellent fine-tunability, and they cut the excess string automatically - brilliant!

The gear ratio is much better than the Sperzels, as is the feel. The Sperzels I have are very grainy feeling in comparison.

I used the old Grover screw holes for the PW's, and they fit fine, albeit at a bit of a lean back on the headstock - i.e. they arent't perfectly perpendicular with the headstock but rather lean back a bit. It actually looks kind of cool.

As long as the tone of the guitar does not suffer from having the heavier tuners at the headstock, I might be getting some more of these for other guitars. I'm impressed more than I thought I'd be. :AOK

2. blackburncustom

blackburncustom Member

Hi,
    I'm glad your experience has been good. Mine has been mixed. The durability of the plastic parts in ones I've used has not been good. They just"wear out" way too early.
    Peace,
    Dave
    P.S. I no longer offer these as options for my clients.

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

Uh-oh, that's not good news! Dave, which plastic parts are the ones wearing out? From the exterior, the only ones I see are the bushings between the buttons and the shaft. Everything else appears to be metal.

I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed with this set and not jump into more sets without giving these some duress to test their endurance. Thanks for the input; it might save me some trouble down the road. :BEER

Tony

4. blackburncustom

blackburncustom Member

Hi,
    Those shafts and buttons are one pied of plastic or nylon or something that wears out fairly quickly. There are any number of better pegs out there, most of them for less money. Toobad, because I really like the concept.
    Peace,
    Dave

5. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

I know it has only been a couple of months but, how are they holding up, hipfan? I'm going to be buying new tuners for a Strat soon and was thinking about maybe getting a set of PWs.

6. hour9

hour9 Member

I put some of these on a 3x3 peghead a couple of years ago. You have to be careful when tightening down the nut. I stripped one of mine. Don't overtighten!!! Other than that I thought they performed well and stayed in tune. I have since sold that guitar.

Kyle

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

So far, so good!

However, to be honest, the tuners have seen no duress so far. The Robin Tele I installed them on has been hanging on the wall waiting for a Harmonic Design Super 90 bridge pickup to arrive (it just did!). I've only even tuned it once since installing the tuners.

I can happily report that they haven't exploded, spontaneously combusted, or anything like that though, so that's good. :D

8. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've had a set on a prs se (project guitar) for 2-3 yrs and I like it a lot. I don't play that guitar a whole lot so I haven't had to change strings often enough to risk wearing out the mechanism.

jon

9. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I put a set on an acoustic once and it would never grip the high E. It would just snip the end of the string off and the just pop right out, ruining the string and making the owner very displeased. I replaced that tuner with the one that was on the guitar previously so I had the 5 and 1 thing going on. This was on a guitar that I used to pay my rent and the just didn't work out, so I could never reccomend them to anyone.

10. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

I didn't think they were designed for acoustics. Don't they have a higher string tension that the tuners weren't designed for?

11. johnmfer

johnmfer Supporting Member

I have a set of the Planet Waves on my Japanese Jazzmaster which has seen quite a bit of play time in the year and a half or so since I put them on it. They have been holding up fine, no problems. I have a set of Schaller locking tuners on another guitar, and Sperzels on another, and they're all pretty much the same. The differences are minimal. All three guitars hold their tune great.