Planet Waves Solderless Cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last Nerve, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Anyone using these on their board?

I switched from GL's awhile back, and have really liked these cables.
    You can't make a bad one, they are solid as can be and I noticed no signal loss compared to the GL's (they might actually carry a little bit better).

Some cables were tough to bend as needed, since they're alot bigger gauge, but I got it worked out.

Anyone else?

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Never used 'em. Based on hearsay, though, the PWs are of more reliability than the GLs, as well as comparable in tone. The PWs do have bigger plugs, though.

Glad you enjoy 'em!

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Love em. I was having issues with the George L's. Likely my own doing, but the PW's sound great, were easy, and seem much more durable.

Big thumbs up.:AOK

4. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

I'm surprised that people find the PWs comparable to the GLs, purely because GL cables have such a good reputation. I was looking into using PW cables for my pedals but didn't hear many opinions about them. I wish the plugs weren't so big though...

I do use the PW circuit breaker from my guitar to my pedals and it's a really handy feature to have when switching between guitars. Only thing I notice is that the PW plugs have these compression springs that seem to wear out my guitar jack faster. Anyone experienced this?

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Which is exactly why I stopped using them!
    Check this old thread... I mentioned this seemingly isolated phenomenon in the last post in the thread:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=103952&highlight=springs

BTW- if you like the idea and sound of GL's, but aren't a fan of perceived maintenance or right angle reliability, check out the Bill Lawrence cable. Straight plugs that take up only a hair more space than a rt. angle GL plug. Silly easy to make 100% reliable cable! I stopped using a cable tester after making about 5 of them.

-Ben

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

That is something to watch out for. Off my board I'm using Lava Cables for everything, which, in my experience, are the best cables I've tried so far.

7. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

what a bummer. initially, I thought I was imagining things but now I know others have probably encountered the same problem. Guess I'll have to give up that handy circuit breaker switch... it's not worth it if I have to replace my guitar jack more often...

8. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

Hey Nerve, where did you get your Lava instrument cables? The lava website isn't coming up for me :cry:

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

10. Lution

Lution Supporting Member