Planet Waves Tuner Pedal Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rhythmisnothing, Mar 12, 2006.

1. rhythmisnothing

rhythmisnothing Member

So I got this pedal in the mail yesterday from LongJohnny. BTW, thanks for the GREAT service like always:thu:

The first thing I noticed is the small footprint compared to the boss tu-2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(These pic's are stolen from a thread LongJohnny posted in)

I got to play with it at home last night, and I had a gig this afternoon (just got home from it) that I used it in.

Pros.
    1. There is a "strobe mode" tuning, where the LED spins in circles either direction telling you that you are off. In Normal mode, after tuning with the TU-2, this pedal showed the same results. In strobe mode, I could fine tune my guitar a little bit more.

2. Small footprint = more room on pedalboard for more GAS

3. standard 9v jack in AND out like the tu-2

4. Built like a monstertruck. It feels/looks bulletproof, those pic's don't do justice.

5. Quality footswitch. The footswitch feels like it would last a lot longer then the tu-2

6. Fast tracking -thats all that matters, right?

7. LESS TONE SUCKAGE then the boss. Some people say the boss sucks their tone, some people don't. On the amp I have right now (Traynor YCV50blue), the tu-2 dropped the volume a little bit, but its gone w/ this tuner.

Cons

1. No LED to show if the tuner is on/off, this was my only complaint because after one of the songs I didn't remember if I turned the pedal on, and struck my low e string and it ran out through the venue:cool:

2. Strobe mode might be a little hard to understand for some slow folks and new users

any other questions/comments I'll be glad to answer:eek:

2. rhythmisnothing

rhythmisnothing Member

3. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

Thanks for this review. I've ordered one, and I'll chime in with any thoughts after a few gigs. The only tricky part for me is whether or not the Planet Waves is really true bypass, because I definitely lose some attack with my TU2.

4. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I'm returning mine, either there is a design flaw or mine is a lemon. Using the bypass ouput there is a nasty distortion fizz after everynote and, when the lights lightup, an audible sound accompanies them. in the other output I don't hear the distortion but the lights bleed sound into my amp. Listen carefully guys . .I'd like to know whether this is an isolated insident.

5. rhythmisnothing

rhythmisnothing Member

seems like you got a bugger

6. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I may sound stupid here but what does "BUMP" translate to????

7. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Oooooh...shiny chrome... :D Any idea what different "modes" it has built in? I've scoured the net a bit, but couldn't find much info on these. Heck, it's almost worth buying for the chrome alone. :) ...well, maybe not.

gtr777: "bump" just means that they want to "bump" the thread back up to the top of the forum so it doesn't get lost amid the hubbub.

Edit: Ok, guess they have a description on their website of this unit. Looks pretty nice & they say it's "True Bypass":

http://www.planet-waves.com/ptoolsdetails.aspx?ID=11 (at the bottom)

8. g-nem

g-nem Member

What are the two outputs for?

9. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Did anyone ever find out if it is really "True-Bypass" ?

10. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

One out is muted while tuning the other isn't you decide which one you want to use.

11. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to hearing more reviews. I just can't warm up to $189 for the Peterson Strobe Tuner.

12. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

How much are they? They seem pretty cool. I don't have any problems with my TU-2 (plus it was free), but if it's true bypass maybe I'll consider it.

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

what is the rated sensitivity (cents)? That's important.

I've been using a Peterson Strobostomp for quite a while and find it a good value and totally gig worthy.

14. ABKB

ABKB Member

The rating sensitivity is the exact same as the TU (cant remember the exact figure right now), but supposedly it is TB.

15. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Don't hold me to it, but I think the accuracy on the following tuners are:

Peterson Strobostomp ($190): (+ or -) 0.1 cent
    Korg DT-10 ($90): (+ or - 1) cent
    Boss TU-2 ($100) and Planet Waves ($80): (+ or -) 3 cents

If true, then the Korg is 3X more accurate than the Boss or PW, and the Strobostomp is 10X more accurate than the Korg (which makes it 30 times more accurate than the Boss or PW!).

The PW site does not say "True Bypass", it says "True Hard Bypass". I don't know exactly what that means as I am not a tekkie, but usually when a company uses the words "true" and "bypass" and then adds another word or two, they are trying to fool you into thinking that something that is not actually TB is TB. Maybe this is the case with the PW, or maybe it is not. If it really is TB, then it should kick the Boss off of alot of pedalboards.

Like dougb415, I couldn't justify the price tag on the Peterson, so bought the Korg - not TB, but no tone suckage, and it works good...

16. CMB

CMB Member

It's +/- 3 cents, like the TU-2. Haven't used one myselft, but I'd like to know if it is TB.

17. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Can somebody with this pedal test it to see if it really is true bypass or not? thanks

18. theblueark

theblueark Member

It's not true bypass.

19. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

20. theblueark

theblueark Member

Because I build pedals.

The pedal has 2 outputs, one for Bypass and one for Mute, the same as the DT-10.

I believe it is impossible for a true bypassed pedal to do this without relays, which are expensive. Note also the pedal looks like it has FET switching, like the BOSS pedals.

The DT-10 was also claimed to be true bypassed when it first came out, and has since retracted that claim.

If the broschure says anything other than "True Bypass" (in that order, with no other words in between), assume that the switching is one of the other variants. Here PlanetWaves says it's True Hard Bypass. Why would they do that. If it is true bypass they would say it is.