1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Plans for TGP for the coming year

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Brian Scherzer, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

This is my chance each year to give our members an idea of any plans we have for TGP in the coming year and to address problems from the past year. I'll start with the latter..........I need your help! All large forums are subject to change as new members come in. Although we still have a large core of members who have been here for years, we also have a whole new generation of members who do not seem to understand the behavior I expect of all of us. Yes, it may be naive to believe that people can post on a forum WITHOUT getting personally nasty with other members.........but that's what I expect.

I have no problem if you disagree with what another member has posted. Feel free to state your case, but do NOT make it personal! Lots of our more established members have noted that there are more and more people who seem to want to turn many conversations into negatives. It's time for our more established members to set the tone (pun fully intended) for the membership. There was a time here when most threads engaged in respectful discussion, including when disagreements broke out. Set good examples.

Some have asked what we do when members get nasty with each other. Flat out, we have suspended and banned more people in the past two years that we have at any time in our existence. We plan to continue to crack down on the anger we see. Leave it behind please! On the other end of the spectrum, many of you would laugh at some of the reported posts we get. Please don't report posts just because you disagree with what someone else wrote. We're not here to "fact check". If the post doesn't clearly break one of our rules, please don't report it!

Changes for the coming year? We do have some. We gave the international emporiums a chance this past year and found that they are used infrequently. Those will be going away this month. We are also going to make changes that involve our business members. Last year we reacted to the complaints of members that dealers had too many ads in the emporiums. This was a good thing in many ways but has led to some problems for businesses. The feedback is that our business members have noted a dramatic reduction of views of their ads.

TGP was set up to help musicians AND music businesses. I'm proud of the fact that we have helped so many startup businesses to become successful. A number of our early members went on to create new gear. At the same time, I realize that most of our members would prefer to look at ads from regular musicians and not from businesses. There has to be a compromise that works for everyone. My decision this year is to begin a new member classification for businesses. Maybe we'll call it a commercial member, but that hasn't been decided. The major change that members will see in the emporiums is as follows.....and I think that it's the fairest possibility for both sides......

Let's say that a guitar dealer becomes a commercial member. They will be expected to place their ads in the Commercial Guitar Emporium. The only change is that we will allow the business to place ONE ad in the regular guitar emporium that shows what they are offering in their ads in the commercial emporium. The same would be true if the business had ads in the Pedals or amps emporiums. The problem before was that some businesses would place a number of ads in the regular emporiums. Being allowed one ad as a means of showing what they are offering in the commercial emporium seems fair to me, does not overload the regular emporiums with dealer ads and allows them more exposure.

Another change being strongly considered is starting vintage gear sections for amps, guitars and effects. In a sense, vintage gear has been receiving increased interest from musicians as a niche. We'll see if such topic areas pick up sufficient interest to continue.

Most of all, I am asking the moderators to step up enforcement of respectful posting between members. Quite honestly, some people still need to go. If you come onto TGP and make the experience unpleasant for others, you can expect at least a suspension if you don't stop. YOU are responsible for not retaliating if someone else starts something. Most of all, don't report a problem and then make retaliatory posts with the person you are reporting. We'll probably decide that you're part of the problem too and you may end up with a warning or suspension for continuing the problem.

It just comes down to being respectful of each other. Our world seems to be becoming a less respectful place where anger and insults are becoming far too common. If you bring your hostility to TGP, it makes all of us a bit less happy. Feel free to disagree with others.....in a respectful fashion (and stop the passive-aggressive stuff!) and TGP has a lot more benefit to its members!

One last thought. We have never raised our supporting membership fees since we started them and that continues for the coming year. Please have a wonderful holiday season and I thank you for being part of our musician community. Let's really try to make TGP a more pleasant experience!

2. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Reasonable. All of it.

But can we please please please consider a subforum for discussing synths, drum machines and other electronic instruments? I can go to other forums to discuss those instruments, but there are more people here that I know and trust, so I'd really value a subforum here. I think there are others who would support that idea as well.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Plus 1 on a vintage gear section!!

Mentat, Silenceborn, nichd and 8 others like this.
  4. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Thanks for all your efforts. For this is the opening for suggestions on forums
    1) modify the Live Sound forum to be more like a live gig forum. Like what BSWTB used to be at harmony central before they became unusable.
    2) Synths, new and old. A general keyboard forum should cover it.
    3) Drums. Though there are many full forums out there, they are often advanced and highly specialized. Most of TGP drum questions seem to come as drums as a second instrument perspectives and those questions are ignored in dedicated boards.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    pbmw, Dr. Tweedbucket and epo like this.
  5. Xfigio

Xfigio Member

I totally support this. Discussing gigging really has no natural sub-forum.

6. ddeand

ddeand Silver Supporting Member

7. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I posted a thread on this and none of the mods responded, but I really do think it would help a little bit if you went back to showing when people were suspended or banned.

guitrr, doctorx, Lucidology and 16 others like this.
  8. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. It would not only let people know in general, it would likely save some responses to members no longer able to respond.

9. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

Well said and well timed Brian... thanks for all you do.

10. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I respectfully disagree with the new commercial member posting rule of only having one ad to post everything in.

For instance....I currently have about ten guitars (new and used) for sale in the commercial guitars section.....how am I supposed to fit everything I have for sale into one thread title?

And, for what it's worth, I keep getting a hostile feelings vibe towards the dealers here...which I don't understand at all....every piece of gear for sale here originally came from a "dealer". Why are we suddenly the "bad guys"?

For the life of me I can't understand why in the world someone would complain about having "too many" dealer ads? It's like saying you have too many choices...is that even possible? It may very well be that the dealer has the guitar you're looking for...I can promise you that we have many more guitars for sale in our shop than any individual here has for sale.

Also...I recently upgraded our membership (read: paid more money annually) so that I can post more ads...how is that going to be affected?

11. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

looking forward to a vintage amps section. :aok

65DuoSonic likes this.
  12. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I hope this doesn't lead to a ban on constructive criticism. If so, it will lead to the inmates running the asylum. "Soft trolling", trolling that doesn't appear on its face to violate the rules, would then be allowed to flourish here.

Jamalot likes this.
  13. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I see quite a bit of that already. Pretty much all of the millennium and baby boomer threads falls into that category as their intent is usually just to stir up trouble and pit members against each other. It's unfortunate that so many are taken in by them.

muzishun, Hallogallo, pbmw and 6 others like this.
  14. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I would vote for a vintage section, too.

morlll likes this.
  15. markdub

markdub Supporting Member

Would it be hard to put a sticky at the top which would link to or show posts that generated a suspension or ban? It might pay off over time

gibs5000 likes this.
  16. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I think that the management would prefer not to broadcast or sensationalize infraction-worthy threads and/or posts. Sort of like TV networks not showing the drunk fan running around the field during a sporting event - don't publicize poor behavior.

muzishun, guitrr, BluesMan75 and 4 others like this.
  17. markdub

Perhaps. It would have some potential downside and risk for unintended consequences. However, it might also serve to stem posts violating forum rules as well. Tough to say how the two sides of the scales would tip without trying it out.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  18. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

Perhaps 'keep it broadly defined' is more effective. If you don't know exactly where the line is - and know the line itself can vary - you'll be more inclined to stay farther away from it.

pbmw, morlll, IAm MI and 1 other person like this.
  19. markdub

I think it all comes down to how much work the mods currently spend (I really don't know) on policing, warning, and suspending due to posts. If it's not a lot of work, then keeping it broad as-is must be working. If it is a lot of work, it's not working and perhaps another approach warrants testing. Ultimately it's up to them of course on how to provide oversight.

20. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Moving lines for authority have always created stability historically.

morlll, JCM 800 and A-Bone like this.