Plans for TGP for the coming year

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Brian Scherzer, Nov 5, 2016.

1. rsm

rsm Member

:rolleyes:

Reported.

All of youse guys.

:p

Thanks for everything :) TGP is working fine for me; my ignore list is empty as always.

Keep up the good work!

2. lizardking

lizardking Supporting Member

Tried that. Didn't work for me. Anyone else?

Thanks.

3. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I just did it and it worked. I went to the Amp emporium, entered "WTB" as the search term and 14 threads showed up.

4. lizardking

lizardking Supporting Member

I could be wrong, but it seems that only works if someone puts the FS,FT,WTB, etc. in the actual title? For example I searched FS in the amp emporium and only 10 items came up. I seconded a suggestion that there could be a sort feature done by the new FS,FT, etc "prefix" color boxes. Just agreed that would be useful, but either way thanks for all your work here. Happy holidays.

5. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

Earlier this year, a member reported me because I posted that my favorite sports team was better than his favorite sports team. :rolleyes:

aynirar27 and tedm like this.
  6. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

The mods made a post in the thread, telling folks that reporting a sports argument was silly.

7. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Supporting Member

Sounds like someone else also has GAS for modular synths...

tapeup and Astronaut FX like this.
  8. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

YES!

9. soundchaser59

Why do you need to detail every individual item in the title? It's not enough to say "Several Guitars For Sale" and then post a pic of each one in the body of the thread? I have nothing against dealers wanting to move gear, but it really sux when a dealer posts multiple threads, each one for just one individual guitar or amp or pedal. I end up searching for "Strat" and I get 20 or 30 threads all from the same guy selling new guitars at new prices. I don't need that, I'm not looking for that, esp when it all could have been in one thread.

EDIT: I see in a later post you found an explanation of their intent.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  10. soundchaser59

I used to get them, but haven't received one yet since the forum upgrade.

None of that explains my situation, but I haven't yet checked when mine actually expires.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  11. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

Interesting. I need to check to see when mine comes due - and watch for the notices (or the lack thereof).

12. soundchaser59

If I could request one and only one change in the emporiums, this would be it. Question for me then is how do you prevent "bait and switch"......put a deliciously low price in the title but different price in the body? How do you keep the title price and the body price the same?

korby likes this.
  13. soundchaser59

My view is that the link to a separate p&w forum is the best idea. That topic area is so diverse and relatively esoteric and so ripe for abuse, intended or not intended, that it's best to leave it as a separate forum and people who really want to be there will click and go there for the info.

jb4674 likes this.
  14. CaptainLou426

CaptainLou426 Member

How about showing how many likes a member has under how many messages they have next to their post. I can't associate with someone who doesn't have a high message-to-like ratio.

aynirar27 likes this.
  15. neteraser

neteraser Member

I freakin' love Brian's approach to TGP. Whatever you say... is golden. God bless this place.

I think the spirit of TGP I grasped in 2011, still goes on. Partly for that reason I just find it hard to hit the report button yet. I think a big part of a solution is to always get more positive votes in each case than negative ones, and this is where I try to help when I feel people are wrongfully going into bitching. My heart breaks when someone says "I apologize, it was a mistake to share my thoughts". TGP should keep being a good place to share something you thought or realized, in my opinion. But honestly such cases are rare. I think that's because of the general level of American people and culture, which I adore.

That said, I wasn't always right myself. Hahaha :) I'm happy I somehow managed to not get banned. I think the admins & moderators patience is the reason. I'm in dept. I will support TGP whenever I can.

16. wikur

wikur Member

This is a great site!
    I`ve been a longtime lurker and haven`t posted a lot.
    When I´ve been GASsing for a new pedal....
    TGP is where I go first.
    Thank You! Brian and all who contributes to this great site!
    I´ve learnt a lot.
    Cheers!

Picarón likes this.
  17. soundchaser59

Happy to report that I received my notification in my pm box, and have made the leap for another year. THANKS!

I was asking myself if a 1 week notice was enough. It should be enough most of the time, but if the timing was different it could be 2 or 3 weeks before I would have the money available, esp since I was weighing the option of going up a level.

18. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

To @Brian Scherzer and the mod team, a HUGE thanks for all that you do to keep TGP running as smoothly as it does. I'm sure it gets tiresome having to deal with some of the issues that y'all do, but you've created a space which is, IMO, one of the best internet gear communities around - and for that, I'm very thankful!

19. tommc

tommc Supporting Member

You can also just click on the FS, FSOT, WTB at the beginning of any thread in the list and it will filter by that.

20. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I wanted to note that I just changed the emporium rule for commercial posting. The problem we have faced is that people are basically reporting anyone who has a lot of ads in the emporiums as being a business. Staff then starts to research, can't find a business license and no proof that the individual is selling anything that's new. How do we define a real business versus someone who is an active collector and buys and sells as an individual? The definition is now very clear and I'll paste the revised rule below:

2. Private individual sellers may list items for sale in the regular Emporiums. Commercial sellers must list items in the Commercial subsections, which appear directly under the main section (Amps, Guitars, Effects, etc.) in the forum hierarchy. This area is exclusively for businesses to post items in. However, we will allow each commercial seller to have one ad in the regular emporiums that highlights what is being sold in the commercial emporiums. This ad may NOT be for a separate item.....it MUST be an advertisement that shows what you are selling in the commercial emporiums. Here is an example: Commercial seller has 4 ads in the Commercial Guitar emporium. That seller is then allowed to have one ad in the regular emporium that shows what he/she is selling in the commercial area. We have 3 basic areas where there is a commercial emporium (Amps & Cabs, Guitars, and Pedals). Commercial sellers may have one ad in each of the regular emporiums to highlight their ads in the commercial emporiums. Please remember that our members overwhelmingly chose to separate our commercial sellers from private sellers. Intentionally violating this request is disrespectful to your potential customers.

WHO IS A BUSINESS? Our criteria for determining that a member is a business includes that they either have a business license for selling musical instruments or that they sell brand new items.