Plate Reverb

Tung-Sol Tube

The thing about the RV-5's plate mode is that I find I need to keep the tone knob super low, so it doesn't have much usable range for me. All the modes are bright, but the plate is the brightest.

OP, I consider the BigSky to be way better than the Blue Sky. I think things like the RV-5 and RV-6 are a good choice over the smaller Blue Sky. The Strymon has arguably better spring, though. RV-5 for modulate (I like it better than the RV-6's), RV-6 for shimmer (keep that tone knob low for best results), plate on either (RV-6 has better range).

It's worth mentioning that the Plate Reverbs in the Helix, HX FX and HX Stomp are excellent. The HX Stomp is about the size of a Big Sky.
I really like the plate from the Verbzilla/M-series. This is what is known as Legacy plate on the HX products. It gets crazy long decay, with lush harmonic midrange complexity.

I like the Hardwire RV-7/Digitech Polara and Neunaber Immerse plates a lot. The Strymon BigSky's plate sounds great for rack-type plate tones. The Source Audio Ventris and Catalinbread Talisman claim accuracy to EMT 140 plates.

Rusty Dutch

Supporting Member
The Talisman is still the best plate reverb I’ve heard, the Ventris is very good as well. The Immerse is good, I think the Flint and Big Sky’s plate are probably on par with the Immerse. After that I think you drop a level with Helix, Empress, Boss sounding artificial to me; usually too bright and seem to sit on top of the dry signal.

Another option is the H9 which has a good plate reverb and is very tweakable. I find this to be fine if you do wet/dry, but very hard to dial in a mix that doesn’t swamp the original signal otherwise.

jrockbridge

If builders make spring reverbs with real springs, why don't they make plate reverbs with real plates? I'm sure my family would LOVE my bringing a footswitch-activated gong-sized pedal into my house...
Agreed. Real plates or go home!

Also, someone should make a room reverb pedal using a real room. Just because shipping would be darn near impossible does not mean it should not be attempted. Some assembly required.

earwax

It's worth mentioning that the Plate Reverbs in the Helix, HX FX and HX Stomp are excellent. The HX Stomp is about the size of a Big Sky.

I like the size and simplicity of the Catalinbread Talisman (have GAS). I don't know where the Talisman sits in the hierarchy of plate reverb simulation. But, I did run across this video...

Unfortunately I believe that’s a comparison to the Big Sky’s Spring Reverb. I think Shnobel thinks the talisman is a spring reverb considering the stand alone demo he did of that pedal.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
One of the (many, many) cool things about the PolyExpressive Digit is that it will load convolution IR reverbs. Load op one of the excellent Lexicon, EMT, or Bricasti IRs (or if you want a stone cathedral, there are some of those out there as well ;) ) and you can have some truly amazing reverbs on tap. I really like a number of the named pedals above, but the EMT Dark Plate IRs I have found kill them all.

KingsXJJ

One of the (many, many) cool things about the PolyExpressive Digit is that it will load convolution IR reverbs. Load op one of the excellent Lexicon, EMT, or Bricasti IRs (or if you want a stone cathedral, there are some of those out there as well ;) ) and you can have some truly amazing reverbs on tap. I really like a number of the named pedals above, but the EMT Dark Plate IRs I have found kill them all.
Would you like to but a cavern? It’s priced to move.

MogwaiBoy

RV-5 is a fine choice. I have both but the Blue Sky is forever on the pedalboard, though, while the RV-5 mostly sits on the shelf.

kjamesc

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Talisman and I really liked it, but I grabbed a red panda context V1 and it will never leave my board. You can get em used for around the same price as the Talisman (I think). You also get a cool gated reverb, the cathedral algorithm that can get massive, and a great delay/reverb setting. They all sound amazing to my ears and it’s really straightforward to use. One of my favorite pedals of all time.

Warkli

You are definetely not wrong. RV-5 is a solid pedal and Plate setting is really good.
So is the Polara.
So is the Supernatural.
So is the Big Sky.

I don't get the "one is better then another" thing. People unconsciously think more money means better sound but that is not the case. It's true on cheap pedals you are more likely to have issues or end up with a pedal you don't really admire, but this is just a general thing. There are very very good affordable pedals.
If you are good with an affordable pedal, just be happy. If it sounds good and you like it, cheap is better.

lv

Supporting Member
Tell us moar. Stereo?
yes, feeds a bassman Ltd and an ac-30. I a/b'd the collider with the talisman in mono first and found that I could dial the collider to sound almost identical, but the collider has more sounds and more control, but then I ran the collider stereo and at that point there is no comparison to the mono talisman.

Canard

I just bought a cavern.
My wife's gonna be pissed when she finds out what the new addition we're planning is really for....A room reverb where I can keep a plate and a spring tank.

Anyways, still liking the RV5 on the plate setting, although it does help to notch the tone down a bit, as other have noted. Traded the Blue Sky for a Nocturne Mystery Brain.

Last edited:

Trending Topics