Play An Explorer?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by maplebaby, Aug 7, 2019.

1. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

just got this 2019 Explorer...wanted one for a long time and love it. I would love to see your explorer and any thing you'd be willing to share about these unique guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Member

I have nothing to contribute, but I ****ing love yours. That's it.

3. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

4. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Shape is awkward. But they are cool. I want a few more. But the design is a lot to get used too. Mine is a copy of a Ibanez and Schecter rolled into one. Basswood. Not sold by Rondo Music anymore. It was free as a Christmas Gift. And family got it for me. I will replace a few things on it. And keep the original parts. But it is not going no where. ;)

maplebaby and T Dizz like this.
  5. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

I love everything about explorers... except the case. It’s tough when you go to a gig and the case you have to find a place for is the size of the stage you’re playing on.

6. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I love them and a 2006 Faded is my main guitar. It's stock except for a brass nut and pickup cover . I also have an Epi goth that I converted to a Gold-Top and I used to have a Gibson Thunderhorse ( the Brenden Smalls Silver burst) but had to sell it to get a new washer dryer back when money was tight :(
    I'm tall so Explorers fit me great and I find them very comfortable to play. Plus, they look bad ass! If you see someone pull out an Explorer at a gig, you know they mean business!:dude
    [​IMG]

7. xzacx

xzacx Member

I love the look of Explorers—the one you just picked up is an exceptionally nice one IMO. I've always found them unwieldily though—and that's coming from someone who thinks Vs are the most comfortable guitars that exist. One of these days though I wanna grab an EII (or is it E/2? I can't ever remember which is which, but the one with the flame top and binding) when the right one pops up.

shallbe and maplebaby like this.
  8. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bad pics but Explorer E2 gold burst. It's a beast. Dirty Fingers pickups are pretty hot.
    Considering replacing black pickguard and rings with cream colored.

Mattbedrock, JPH118, shane8 and 8 others like this.
  9. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

CMT is the one with binding.

maplebaby likes this.
  10. Jignant

Jignant Member

I'll never pass up an opportunity to post pics of my Explorer...
    1977 Non LE in wine red. Purchased at my Dad's shop, I made the B/R/B guard to match the headstock veneer in the late 80s.
    I've had this guitar longer than anything else I own. It's a Rock n Roll machine...:cool: I still love it's chunky neck and monster mahogany tone!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

I've had a couple, but I ended up selling them. I played a club in NYC called Arlene's Grocery for a few years, and the stage was small and I couldn't move with the Explorer on without knocking something over. I was like Godzilla in Tokyo with that thing. o_O

I do dig the look, though.

12. Miracle Man

Miracle Man Member

Had one but sold it about six months ago. To be honest, I miss the darn thing. It was big and awkward, but it felt and sounded great. I tried to convince myself that a more compact guitar would suit me better... I dunno... I usually rock a Les Paul, but the Explorer is awesome.

I remember the first time I took it to band practice and a guy from another band that just happened to be there said "Oh yeah, Hetfield, Metallica!" and I simply replied "nah, more like Allen Collins, the Edge and Dave Grohl". In the end I only sold it because I prefer thinner necks. How's the neck on the 2019 models?

maplebaby and makeitstop like this.
  13. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

serious thanks for each of these great posts! Love the comments and the pictures are so nice to see! Love the variety in the Explorers posted and some of the comments made me seriously lol.

'It’s tough when you go to a gig and the case you have to find a place for is the size of the stage you’re playing on.' truth! cases are huge..i've thought i'll never be homeless as long as i have an explorer i can just live in the case.

'I played a club in NYC called Arlene's Grocery for a few years, and the stage was small and I couldn't move with the Explorer on without knocking something over. I was like Godzilla in Tokyo with that thing.' took me out!

'I remember the first time I took it to band practice and a guy from another band that just happened to be there said "Oh yeah, Hetfield, Metallica!" and I simply replied "nah, more like Allen Collins, the Edge and Dave Grohl". this is me too.

'How's the neck on the 2019 models?' It's pretty thin and feels kinda wide in a good way IMO. It's not chunky at all - i love it.

shane8, Miracle Man and makeitstop like this.
  14. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

I love mine and it's my go-to guitar.

[​IMG]

Currently it has a gibson P94 installed (super underrated pickup).

To me they are super comfortable, not as comfortable as a V standing up, but much better than a V when you sit down. The rawer tone compared to a Les Paul suits me just fine.

They are big, so it might not be comfortable for everyone, but to me it's a non issue. I love big guitars that have the strap button behind the neck heel: Vs, Explorers, 3XX, you name it.

15. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

That's awesome!

Rossi163, GiorgioV and maplebaby like this.
  16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Was in a band in the late 90s and one of the guitar players had one. Sounded great when he played it.

I strapped it on a couple of times. Wasn't for me.

Considering what Gibson mostly does, the Explorer and Vee represent some pretty cool creativity. Congrats, OP on yours.

shane8 and maplebaby like this.
  17. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

oh my...that is amazing!

Did you have that specially made for you?

18. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Member

Yess, made by Clive Brown in the UK under the "Dwight Guitars" brand. There's a couple on the forum. I have to say that yours might just be the nicest non-CS Gibson Explorer I've ever seen, and the ones they've been building for the last couple of years are very very good.

enharmonic and maplebaby like this.
  19. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

20. romiso

romiso Silver Supporting Member

LOL - that's the same reason I sold mine! All of those stages are too small for an Explorer. I'm thinking about getting a Steinberger.

T Dizz, maplebaby and makeitstop like this.