Play An Explorer?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by maplebaby, Aug 7, 2019.

1. mr. moon

mr. moon Member

Thanks. Great guitar for the $400 I paid for it new!!!

Funny enough, that is a 2017 re-issue Hamer Standard, non-USA made. Everything about it is stellar from the factory with the exceptions of the pickups and wiring. I put a '57 Classic/Classic + set of pickups in it, new wiring/pots/switch, and it was like lifting a blanket off the tone ...really opened it up. They apparently went back to the older Hamer spec, and Gibson swooped in and forced them to stop production before 2018. I think Hamer got away with the XT series standards for so long due to the huge headstock that line had ...but that's just conjecture on my part. The dealer I spoke with about the 2017's was pretty candid about their feelings towards Gibson for that move.

Your new Explorer is very nice! Hope you bond with it. I really dig my explorer, especially the Ebony fretboard. Hope yours sounds as good as it looks!

maplebaby likes this.
  2. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

I had a made in Korea Hamer...can't remember the model, but it was a curly maple carved top. About 400.00 or so...damn fine guitar!
    I was being bad and looking at those things I might buy and forget to tell the wife about! I might not be done....81 standard that keeps calling to me. 81 Dean that is on my mind too.
    I will however wait and see if my new one satisfies my Explorer need first. I thought I was quite flush on guitars and here I am again...wtf?:facepalm

maplebaby likes this.
  3. mr. moon

mr. moon Member

The problem with an '81 standard to me, is that I would feel gutted if I caused irreparable harm to it, whereas the one I have is not a guitar that I have anywhere near the same level of concern about. Love those USA standards though!!

maplebaby and bluesoul like this.
  4. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Spot on! It took me awhile to suss out why I didn’t think my 120 anniversary Explorer looked as cool as the old ones. I had my builder friend strip it, round off the horns ever so slightly, and refinish the whole thing in pelham blue.

They should never have messed with the original body shape!

maplebaby likes this.
  5. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

No one will mind if you post a picture of that one (hint hint).

6. Daka3

Daka3 Member

I have all but given up on posting images here. I’d love to, but I just can’t seem to get myself to jump through the required hoops.

bluesoul likes this.
  7. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Use Imgur easy as pie takes seconds.

Thumpalumpacus and maplebaby like this.
  8. Fatboy666

Fatboy666 Member

just went to your blog site!

I think we will be besties :)

9. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub

You should see the posts I have pending! ;)

Fatboy666 likes this.
  10. stradazone

stradazone Member

Ibanez '76 Destroyer, had it refretted with stainless steel frets some years ago, unfortunately due to its weight it doesn't get much stage time haha

bluesoul and maplebaby like this.
  11. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

very cool guitar! trying to decide what kind of wood it's made of? I remember those tailpieces:)

12. stradazone

stradazone Member

otherwise know as 'ash' they were often mistaken as korina since Ibanez described these as having a Korina finish;)

maplebaby likes this.
  13. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

couple more pics just to keep things going:) Love all the pics that have been posted!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]