Play Authentic's Impact on Sales Trends?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jm9239, Jul 9, 2019.

1. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

Retailers or anyone in the know, what impacts, if any, are you seeing to sales trends following the "play authentic" situation? Are Gibson sales up or down? How about sales for PRS, Dean, Collings, etc.?

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Not sure, but I understand Gibson themed threads on TGP are slightly up.

3. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

More like significantly higher.

jvin248 likes this.
  4. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I highly doubt it’s having any effect on sales. Most people don’t give a sh*t about all this geekery.

5. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Gold Supporting Member

My LP on Reverb hasn't budged in a couple months. May be related. May be coz I won't lower my price to the rock bottom a lot of other people are at. I'd prefer to blame Agnessi over my own stupidity though.

worxforme, Codyyy, SDR and 7 others like this.
  6. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

One sale at least, that I know of...I was going to pull the trigger on a new 50's Standard, but between the shortage of nice flame tops, 10 plus pound weights and Gibson's corporate tomfoolery, I decided to purchase a "copy" instead.

SamPaoli, dahctor, Voxshall and 4 others like this.
  7. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

My predictions, based on exhaustive TGP research:

[​IMG]

The above references an opinion and is for information purposes only. It is not intended to be investment advice. Seek a duly licensed professional for investment advice.

8. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Who knows, who cares. Its really hard to measure this early on. IMO the Gibson 'haters' weren't going to be buying a Gibson before the video came out, and they won't be buying one now either. As far as I'm concerned nothing has really changed and the guitars themselves will still sell to people who like the brand. All the kids who browse YouTube barely play guitar as it is and no matter what Gibson did they would still complain about the prices or the QC boogieman or whatever else. Its just another bandwagon and the wheels will fall off, just like the robo tuners and other BS thats happened in the past few years that a lot of people have mostly forgotten since its gone now. People have very short memories/attention spans these days and I highly doubt this will do much more than anything else that has gone on.

dalezjc, sub rosa, Schafrocks and 7 others like this.
  9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

New Gibson sales have to have taken a dive, because instead people are buying all the LPs on the Emporium that all the TGP members swore they were going to sell.

sub rosa, SDR, Surgeon and 6 others like this.
  10. USMarine75

USMarine75 Member

I played a 2019 mahogany SG and it was fantastic. And it was $999 IIRC... about $500 less that MII Ibanez are apparently getting these days.

Baconjerky and Tomo El Gato like this.
  11. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

I care. As a marketer and guitar player I'm curious to know what impact, if any, it's having.

dahctor, egregion and coldstare like this.
  12. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Well no one here can truly tell you that. We don't have access to sales numbers or anything that really provides any legit evidence. Its all speculation. My opinion it will have way less impact than people think, Gibson has done worse than this.

Tomo El Gato and MusicalMan like this.
  13. 27sauce

27sauce Member

One thing it did was made me aware that Dean was still making guitars. I don’t know why, but, I thought the brand was defunct.

Kdsmith, zach715, dahctor and 3 others like this.
  14. bluescast

bluescast Member

Saw the video. Didn't think the video was offensive at all but I come from a different era. Being kicked in the teeth was considered offensive. Agnesi or whatever his name is telling folks to experience the real deal instead of buying a knock off is fine with me. But in the end, buy whatever you want. I prefer Gibson, but that die was cast for me in the 70's. For you young bucks it might be something else.

Hell, for a time I only played RG550's! you know, hair metal era and all.
    I eventually came back home.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    sub rosa, YYZ, Tomo El Gato and 3 others like this.
  15. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

People buy on price, first and foremost. TGPs readership -- us -- is not anything close to a typical group of buyers/players. If a nice guitar is in the rack at a good price, no one gives a hoot what some Gibson exec mouthed off about. What's the last thing you heard from Fender's directors? A few of us sort of care; most do not.

16. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Doesn’t affect me. I have all the Gibson guitars I will ever need or can justify owning at my age.

If I acquire any more instruments from here on out it’s likely to be an upgraded violin at some point (when I can play well enough to discern the difference).

Jabberwocky likes this.
  17. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

For every 1 of us gear fanatics, who spend time on message boards being active in the happenings of the guitar community, there are 100 guitar players who don't

Collings went up for me personally :) Sold my LP Classic to fund a 290. Not because of Play Authentic, but because it's a better guitar

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  18. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

I wouldn't be so sure. I recently heard a salesman in a big Nashville store share that they saw an impact from that ridiculous video

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  19. Raygun Gothic

Raygun Gothic Member

I thought it was interesting that so many people got outraged over the Gibson vs. Dean lawsuit, but no one was vowing to support Dean. Most of them said they'd buy PRS instead of Gibson.

27sauce likes this.
  20. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to thank everyone in all the Gibson threads of the past few weeks for their 'impact' on my decisions about this whole fiasco.

I got a Goldtop Standard! :banana

Surgeon, Oriondk, Imerkat and 5 others like this.