Play Authentic's Impact on Sales Trends?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jm9239, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

And, some of you don’t realize that most guitarists/consumers have never heard of TGP, Mark Agnesi, or the YouTube celebrity “du jour.”

data_null and sub rosa like this.
  2. 61cygni

61cygni Member

Yeah, I mean, how many people watch YouTube?

Gevalt, Davy, coldstare and 5 others like this.
  3. Wrubird

Wrubird Member

Meanwhile in Warsaw, Poland, Gibson is selling like hot cakes. There is a quite a big store always stocked with at least 80-90 Gibsons, both electric and acoustic. Trads and Stds are the prime target for polish wannabe-Slashes and Pages, then Historics and few CUs. What’s funny - according to shop’s manager - entry level, and mid-priced Gibsons could be nonexistent at all. They just don’t sell. People here are still hungry for premium guitars.

Seemengly people who live in such strange places like Germany, Poland, France, Italy, Hungary, Chech Republic, Ukraine, Russia, Japan, CHINA or INDIA (yeah, they play guitars over there too) don’t give a damn about some esoteric guitar forums as TGP ;)
    Polan Stronk! :)
    Cheers

Jabby92 and bluescast like this.
  4. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Supporting Member

Seriously? What has it been, two or three weeks? It would be impossible to tell this early on.

Even in here, it’s the same people in every thread leading the charge in the threads relating to the lawsuits, video, quality, etc. while I’m still trying to figure out what the big deal is. I’ve played they’re entire line. They make decent guitars at all price levels. Do they probably have some duds? Most definitely, but I haven’t seen the horrendous quality issues on the guitars that I’ve played at...wait for it.....guitar center. No worse than some of the Fenders that I’ve played. And I love my Strat. For the most part, a few tweaks in setup and they would be great playing guitars. I have never bought a guitar that I didn’t adjust the action somewhat after I bought it.

Like I said earlier, Gibson is a polarizing company. Another company could do the same or similar thing and nobody would say a thing or it would have died out in a couple of days ago. They are held to a higher standard. It wasn’t a good move by any means but the reaction has been way more than I think it warrants.

I doubt very seriously it’ll have much effect on sales at all. I haven’t seen the fire sale on all those Les Pauls that people that were so offended and vowed to sell over this latest event.

sub rosa likes this.
  5. coldstare

coldstare Supporting Member

That is simply not true. I teach in one guitar shop and my best friend owns a large store as well. It’s the topic of discussion for 90% of players who come through the door who are not there to buy their first guitar.

jm9239 likes this.
  6. coldstare

Funny you can buy a used DGT for about 1/2 the price of a used Custom Shop Gibson, but yet it’s still “all the lawyers and Dr’s” playing PRS? Horseshit

superstratjunky, jm9239 and cutaway like this.
  7. OldHootOwl

OldHootOwl Member

Sales of the Schott Perfecto have tanked.

8. Bossanova

Oops, sorry I hit a nerve.

27sauce likes this.
  9. Schafrocks

I’m most instances, those declaring that when they went to buy a new guitar, didn’t even look or pick up a Gibson, weren’t going to buy a Gibson to begin with. It has nothing to do with the recent event.

I don’t get how people can get so worked up about not liking a brand. I just ignore the product and any discussion about it because it just isn’t for me. Doesn’t mean it isn’t for someone. I don’t join discussions about a certain brand or product to let people know how bad I think the said product is. I’d rather talk about things I like.

10. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Interesting, when I hear the “dr./lawyer” dig, I don’t think of price. I think of the aesthetic.

You could probably get a nice used Lexus for half the price of a Corvette.

11. coldstare

Drs and lawyers I know are all trying to be Bonamassa, not Santana. PRS players locally are working musicians and studio guys

12. coldstare

I’m not a lawyer or a dr, actually have been a Gibson artist. Just get sick of hearing the same thing thrown at PRS. They are actually great guys to deal with and I can assure you not all guitar companies are.

superstratjunky likes this.
  13. voggin

voggin Member

If lawyers make up such an important part of Gibson's market, wouldn't they be the people most sympathetic to a company protecting it's trademarks, patents and copyrights? Maybe it's some genius marketing.

The next video will be about how Gibson feels medical malpractice lawsuits have gotten out of control. Should shore up the other half of their market.

14. Bossanova

Seriously, congrats on that. This is all tongue-in-cheek, I’m a grown man and so are many of us here.

27sauce likes this.
  15. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Oh wow. I had to google him and this came up. Maybe you're right
    [​IMG]

16. coldstare

eh

17. coldstare

that took some work. congrats.

18. data_null

data_null Member

It’s anecdotal, but I’ve not had decreased Gibson sales in my shop. A few other shop owners I’m friends with haven’t noticed any changes either. Also, I still haven’t heard anyone discussing the Gibson video/lawsuits in person yet. I’ve mentioned it to a few customers and they knew nothing about it.

sub rosa and Bossanova like this.
  19. Bossanova

The public seems to be woefully out of the loop

20. Schafrocks

Out of the loop or not a big enough deal to care? I’m definitely in the later category. Lol