Play like a mofo or look cool??????????

harry65

Silver Supporting Member
just curious what y'all think about this conundrum , i have always been more attracted to the acoustic guitar , nothing quite does it for me like a beautiful steel or nylon 6 string , 95% of my practice time comes on acoustic , because of that my arm angles are all messed up when i play electric , i have always struggled with wearing my electric high for maximum playing ability or slung lower to look cool , now i play in a jazz trio so when i do that gig i just sling high and nobody cares(at least i think they don't) but when i play with my country/southern rock band i sling lower , mind you not anywhere near jimmy page levels but my playing is compromised , just curious what y'all do and which path you have chosen , be cool.............;)

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Gold Supporting Member
I find where it's comfortable...then lower as much as I can without compromising much.
Images of Jimmy are forever in my mind lol

Unfortunately I don't have long arms

RockManDan

You just have to change how you practice. If all you do is sit down when you play, change that. Practice standing up, and put the guitar as low as you can stand it. Next time, try it an inch lower. After a while you will find a certain point beyond which you just can't play, and leave it at that. I find the best place is to have the backplate of the guitar just below my belt. Also, you can learn how to play with your left hand at that strange angle. Don't focus on putting your thumb directly on the back of the neck - classical style. Try wrapping it around the neck and then you can use it to fret notes on the E string like Jimi or SRV. Also getting a strap that isn't too leathery helps, that way you can choose to bring the neck higher or lower while playing to get better access. Some people have those straps that are so coarse that they have too much friction against the shirt and really inhibit movement in my opinion.

Also, watch video of yourself, and use that to help you find the best balance for you.

harry65

Silver Supporting Member
You just have to change how you practice. If all you do is sit down when you play, change that. Practice standing up, and put the guitar as low as you can stand it. Next time, try it an inch lower. After a while you will find a certain point beyond which you just can't play, and leave it at that. I find the best place is to have the backplate of the guitar just below my belt. Also, you can learn how to play with your left hand at that strange angle. Don't focus on putting your thumb directly on the back of the neck - classical style. Try wrapping it around the neck and then you can use it to fret notes on the E string like Jimi or SRV. Also getting a strap that isn't too leathery helps, that way you can choose to bring the neck higher or lower while playing to get better access. Some people have those straps that are so coarse that they have too much friction against the shirt and really inhibit movement in my opinion.

Also, watch video of yourself, and use that to help you find the best balance for you.

yup , i have started doing that(practicing on electric standing up) , hard to break 25+ years of habits good or bad , oy vey...............;)

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
How high do you play it?

Most people don't do the real low-slung thing the grungers did anymore - they have gotton back to more realistic heights. The main thing is where you get the best playing action, because after the audiences ponders your proportional stance for a millisecond what they are really interested in is how well you can play.

harry65

Silver Supporting Member
How high do you play it?

Most people don't do the real low-slung thing the grungers did anymore - they have gotton back to more realistic heights. The main thing is where you get the best playing action, because after the audiences ponders your proportional stance for a millisecond what they are really interested in is how well you can play.

fast forward to 4:25 for guitar height and a little shameless self promotion , that dude does eventually move his head so you can see me:p:p;)

buddatron

Tom Morello wears his guitar pretty high. I think he looks pretty cool. I think it is a cool as you let it be. Make it cool.

Brooks

nice playing as always, harry

wear it where you want, the non musicians don't care (and a lot of musicians, too).

harry65

Silver Supporting Member
nice playing as always, harry

wear it where you want, the non musicians don't care (and a lot of musicians, too).
thanks bro , gonna adjust my strap right now , just needed some reassurance from some playa's i guess....................;)

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
NIce playing! and I think your strap is lower than I have seen a lot of other guys do. Have no doubts.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I'd go for comfort first. Unless you have it right under your chin, I wouldn't worry about it. Guys that sling it down by their knees look just as silly, or sillier to me. I wouldn't have thought anything about it in that video if you hadn't said anything. Looks fine.

bsuite

Silver Supporting Member
Well, Chet Atkins wore his guitar pretty high.
Oh yea, & Chet was sooo koool looking. :p

Hate it when I see guitar players slung rediculously low & they can't play for s*&*. However, (they think), they look cool.

If you can play it low then ya, but if not, don't.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
i play with gtr-positioning that makes my own playing more transparent to me,
which's pretty high-up.
no matter the musical context.
"coolness" is...... whatever.
transient, at best, if it even exists.

do what feels right to ya.

dt / spltrcl

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
I would prefer to play like a cool mofo ("Lord, I apologize"). H/T to Larry The Cable guy

Trending Topics