Play your Guitars !!!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edwarddavis, Jul 27, 2008.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I have a pretty great collection of stuff, for years i been playing out but mostly in crappy places so I would just take my worst guitars or not the great ones and use them for fear of dings, drunks or what ever . None of my guitars are junk mind you. Anyways I just got in another band after looking for quite a while ( thats another thread for another time) and I am playing with great people, fun places , getting paid , theres people there , really hit the jack pot on this band .We play out a lot for a part time band which is fine. Well after being a anal worrier about my guitars I started using them all to play out and its been great using great guitars .I am lucky that I have them and yes I am still careful but what a waste to have great guitars and not use them and let others see the guitars you have playing as well. ( No body gets to use them but me , I am not that crazy ) so the long and short is , you live once , play all the guitars you have and enjoy them. Be careful though but whats the sense of having great guitars that you dont play .

2. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I play mine. Most of my guitars are forty or fifty years old.

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

There's no sense in having any that you don't play.
    What are you saving them for?

IF one is afraid of playing it for fear of dings it should not have been bought.

4. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

:jo

I play my entire collection of 2 everyday.

5. bluesjuke

And I'll bet you know them very well.

6. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I play all of my guitars, but I would never play out with any vintage guitars. Anything else can easily be repaired/replaced.

7. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I'm not afraid of dings. I'm afraid of thieves...

I gig my player pieces. My clean vintage stuff stays at home.

8. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

I gig out regularly. And I used to play the good guitars, for the mere snob factor. But, am am pretty sure we play different music. Me being Metalcore, and you playing rock/blues. So I switched to Eclipse's from LesPauls. I may still play a LP on stage occasionally. But I like my wireless and getting in the pit with the crowd (and they eat it up if you do). So now I take one of each guitar and use what I think will work best.

And I am ALWAYS paranoid about theives! I play to a younger, Guitar-Hero playing, group. And am completely worried they are gonna walk of with a $3k LP!

9. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Yeah thievery is a real concern...I'm always amazed at all the stolen guitar stories going back as far as Buddy Holly days. Even in the quaint 50s guitars were lifted quite often it seems.

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

It's hard though. Originally, I bought my strats so that I could play them out and not worry about it. Bought my '66 in the early 90's, because I loved the sound and feel and hey, no theif in the know is gonna want a big headstock. But now, the value is crazy. It's good of course, but it makes you want to take something else out, even though it could be one of the best sounding strats ever, at least imo, and a few pro guitarists that have played it.

So I bought a Cunetto relic, actually I went through a bunch of them until I found one that sounded great. I bought it so I could mod it how I wanted and not worry about the '66. But the Cunettos have been sky rocketing in recent years, and now I want to keep it stock. Then I think I'll buy a cheap MIM or a parts guitar.. been there and done that and they never sound as good as those strats and I'm right back in the boat...

11. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

My buddy played a gig at a local fair, and he went to the bathroom and came back and his Wah pedal was stolen right off the stage. A Crybaby wah is replaceable, a 59 strat is not. :messedup

I believe in playing your gear, but if I had a guitar worth an obscene amount of money, I would have it strapped to my chest like a baby if I played it out...almost not worth it if you are not enjoying yourself because you are worried about your guitar all night.

12. bluesjuke

Well high priced vintage stuff is a different story.

I was talking about "the guitar is so nice I'm afraid to play it" stuff.

13. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

To me, it makes no sense to leave what I consider to be my best gear at home. Life is short...and anyone's life just might end at the hands of a drunk driver on the way home from a gig...and I want to go out with a bang knowing that I played my best gear on my final gig on planet Earth. Trouble is, we just don't know when that final gig will occur.

So why let the guy who your wife sells your equipment to after you're gone have all the fun?? Insure it if you must, but play the heck out of it while you can :jo.

14. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I don't play vintage anymore because it IS irreplaceable. And as a former history major, the historical loss is beyond price if the guitar gets ruined or stolen. It's not about the loss in value - it's the destruction of something with history and a story that tears me up.

But I do play booteek, and it wouldn't occur to me to bring a cheap Strat or LP Studio to a gig or jam or what-have-you. Guitars are for playing. Sure, be smart, take care of them, don't leave them lying around for the thieves to get easily, but bring 'em and use 'em.

You need to own your possessions (with all respect to JL's zen parable), don't let them own you. Sez me, IMHO, YMMV, TLA, etc.

15. woof*

woof* Member

my band sometimes plays in some very low rent places in town and ive taken my vintage and sometimes not. i base my decision of what i am taking on who is going with me that night. i have a friend that was the head bouncer/security guy for the biggest clubs in houston in the 80's/90's and he usually goes with us because he loves the band....if he's not gonna be there..im not takin my 64 strat.

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've never not played anything I've ever owned...that's why I got them...but I'm in no way a collector and my guitars aren't big bucks. If, however I saw any reason to buy a really expen$ive guitar, I'd be buying it to play it.

17. kayaktim

kayaktim Member

I used to take my '66 Strat to gigs until I found out how much it was worth, then I started to worry about it all the time. I figure I'll have to sell it some day so I can buy my daughter a good violin (can't think where else I'm gonna find $15,000 or so) so I bought a MIM and modded it up with custom pickups, wiring, etc.

Now I love playing that one so much I just think of the '66 as an investment that I take out and play at home only. It turns out that with all the mods the MIM is a more versatile guitar anyway (no way am I going to put a humbucker in the Vintage Strat).

18. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I play most of my stuff out - there's only a few I'm scared to gig with. Last night I brought my '08 R9, '79 Strat, '68 NR Firebird III and '00 EDS-1275. A few bucks worth of guitars. Played them through my Ceriatone 1986X Plexi clone. Life is too short to play crappy gear. Who knows how much longer I'll be able to do this.