Played a 2015 Gibson and...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by megaboogie, May 11, 2015.

1. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

I thought I was going to hate it, but I actually enjoyed playing it.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cutaway.aspx

This was the guitar I tried at GC but in vintage sunburst for $1099 new. Fwik gibsons usually come stock with 10's, but this guitar felt like it had 9's(maybe it actually did?), very easy to bend and play and I rather liked the playability on wide spacing board. The build quality was great too, glossy nitro finish was flawless all over the gutar, and it just felt solid and looked great all around in surpringly light weight.

The tone was very happening plugged into a Marshall, classic p90's tone, it sounded clear and articulate without any mud. I actually I like this one more than a '12 LP jr. special I 've owned.
    The only downside was the autotuner, it was cool as it did tune very fast by itself, but then it kept going out of tune a bit after playing for a while, maybe it was just the guitar? I really would be fine without the lespaul100 logo too.

This guitar sells for $1099 street, and GC had it for $799 on sale. I was tempted to walk out with it, but I thought I should wait as there might be another price break later this year and I really don't need another guitar right now. I can see the purists might not gel with with its modern changes, and honestly I am not sure where I stand, but I can easily say it was a great guitar. I would definitely play this out and have tons of fun with it.

2. Neo

Neo Member

About the guitar's tuning instability, I'm beginning to think it's the genuine mahogany that's causing the tuning to go out of whack.

Most of my Gibsons are custom shop historics purchased from all the reputable boutique shops that do amazing jobs with setups (Dave's Guitar, Wildwood, Eddie's, etc.).

But their ability to stay in tune for even one song fluctuates wildly, seemingly dependent on how the weather is that day. Sometimes they'll stay in tune for weeks at a time, other times I'll be constantly retuning after every bend.

The reason that I'm thinking the tuning instability is due to the Honduran mahogany is that my Epiphone LPs and MIJ low end Tokai LP are made with either faux Asian "mahogany" or Khaya for the Tokai and these stay in tune better than my Gibsons and my custom shop ESP Navigator LPs made with genuine mahogany.

3. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I have played several of these less expensive 2015 Gibsons. All of them played and sounded great. i can take or leave the autotune feature, but that is easy to replace. Hate the LP signature on the face of the headstock. Maybe they will do away with these "features" for 2016 and we will have a great Gibson for around a grand.

4. ajeffcote

ajeffcote Member

"About the guitar's tuning instability, I'm beginning to think it's the genuine mahogany that's causing the tuning to go out of whack."

Oh come on man! It ain't the wood, it's how the wood is treated before it becomes a guitar. If it's rushed, it won't be as stable as well aged wood. Construction differences too maybe. But I have guitars with mahogany bodies and necks that stay in tune very well after the strings are stretched. My Martin , I swear will stay in tune for weeks unless I get carried away with bends. Hog neck, single truss rod, kinda slim too.

5. blues

blues Supporting Member

Its not uncommon for some Gibson's needing some work coming straight out of the box.

Nut work is one of them. This could cause tuning issues. I dont think too many stores go over a guitar before it goes on the hook.

6. megaboogie

I've owned number of gibsons myself, still have a CS and three USA gibsons.
    Tuning stability was mostly due to the badly cut nuts, once I used the nut sauce, and it would improve whole alot. But you are right unlike my PRS or Anderson which I rarely touch the tuning pegs, with Gibsons I have to keep tuning them.

7. megaboogie

I heard unlike the min-etune, this new tuner is easy to detatch and grover will fit perfectly, just gotta drill little holes for the screws, but that's extra money I have to spend oh well...
    I like the idea of autotune feature tough, and hope they can develop it even further so it works better.

8. sonicmayhem

sonicmayhem Member

I have the 2015 double cut and love it. I do not have difficulty with the tuning on my guitar. The auto tuners are not bad. I do expect them to crap out and then I will replace them with locking tuner.

9. megaboogie

True that! but with this new brass nut, I thought it would stay in tune better but it kept going out of tune. Maybe it was just one guitar? Whenever it went out of tune I would just press the switch and strum and it tuned itself tough, pretty neat.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  10. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

There is no Honduran mahogany in any Gibson Standard made in the last 40 years. Just another example of "don't believe everything someone pulls out of the air on a board".

11. megaboogie

Nice, I think the new tuner does work better than the min-etune, so yours stay in tune? that's good to hear. I would probably get one when I see a great deal on one.

12. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

:agree Word. Soon after getting my two Les Pauls in recent years they would go to my tech for a bone nut.

13. Flugel

Flugel Member

My Gibson acoustics stay in tune perfectly, the Les Pauls even the reissue don't.

Nothing like a Telecaster.

14. stratcpo

stratcpo Member

I have a 2015 LP Studio and once the strings are stretched it's as stable as the other guitars I own. The G-Force works perfectly all the time. ENJOY!!!

15. nastynasdaq

nastynasdaq Member

My experience wasn't as good. Played 3-4 2015's LP standards and trads and neither sounded too stellar through a rockerverb or a twin. Also the rosewood was very light and looked like something off a lower end Gibson. They played decent but honestly not what I'd expect from guitars listed at $4000.... my '11 61 Reissue and '13 Traditional blow them out of the water to be honest.

16. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Mahogany doesn't cause tuning issues. Poorly cut nuts and improperly stretched strings, loose tuners, etc, do.

Wrong.

So much bunk, so little time...........

17. Evan_R

Evan_R Member

My 2015 LP Special stays in tune perfectly but not at first. The strings these things ship with are crap. I put on a fresh set and lubed the nut and it's been great ever since. I had planned to take it off but so far I'm leaving it. I really like mine but I just scored a Historic Junior so this Special has to go. It's a great guitar, but the Historic blows it away.

18. maniac

maniac Member

You need to play a Suhr with mahogany body and neck, or a Tom Anderson Cobra, or some other boutique guitars. You will appreciate these genuine mahogany guitars' ability to stay in tune.

19. lugnut111

lugnut111 Member

I wish Gibson would offer this guitar in a color similar to the old Epiphone Silver Fox or Collings Doghair finish.

20. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

I only have one Gibson, a Vintage Mohagany Studio. It was in a similar price range when I bought it around 2009. It didn't stay in tune well for the first year or two. The wood seems to have settled and it stays in tune just fine now. I believe its due to the unfinished nature of the wood on these models, and possibly, the wood not given enough time to settle in the factory. I am in the process of upgrading the electronics now. But the guitar itself is very nice. If you like it, be ready to upgrade the electronics and possible fretwork. I think that's where Gibson cuts corners on these cheaper models.