Played a 65 Amps Monterey HP yesterday........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, Jul 5, 2008.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Holy Shnitzel...

Hands down THE 6v6 tone that I have heard in my head for years. Chime with just a hint of grit, pure chime, KILLER OD tones, whatever...

HUGE sonic footprint

I went to bed and could not sleep due to thinking about that tone. That has not happened in years..

I was so blown out and I only played it in the 1/2 power mode.

I think the mid boost switch is a brilliant move as well. This is a GREAT gigging amp. You can tell that it was made by professional musicians. They hit the mark dead on.

I am going to be gearing up for a couple of purchases in the next month or two. I am going to keep my idea of the finest examples of certain amps.
    So far, I have-
    Reinhardt Sentinel for the JTM45/KT66 thing
    Early '64 Bassman for the uh...Bassman thing
    Vox Brian May AC30 for the AC30 thing

Incomming is..
    '72 Marshall JMP50 Combo for that "50 watt Marshall" thing

I am looking for a pre-'70 100 Watt Super Trem for that "Pre-'70 100 Watt Super Trem" thing

The Monterey HP is what I WILL have for that 6v6 thing. It does that 35 watt 6v6 thing better than anything else that I have heard, but it does SO much more...

Brilliant amp.

Emee

2. Richards

Richards Member

Sounds like a great amp, another of many amps I am gassing to have. And I haven;t seen much chatter here about this particular 65amp model.

65 amps, states that the Monterey and the Soho cover both American and British tones. I know the Soho uses el 84's, did the Monterey cover both grounds , in terms of , tone? (American and British)
    Do you know how the Soho compares or differs tonal wise from the Monterey? (That is if you (anyone else) have played the Soho as well?)

Happy to hear your review! Cheers, Richards

3. Griz

Griz Member

Every once in a while I'm reminded what an excellent age of amp design and build quality we are experiencing. Yes, there is cheese out there as well. But we are really quite inundated with brilliant stuff.

Sounds like yet another for the "want" list...

:D

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Tried the Monterey in a store...long enough to get my GAS going...not long enough to give it a review against my Soho, which BTW is a killer amp. And yes, the Soho can put out both British and American tones. Takes a bit of time to get used to the controls and the bump function to get the best out of it, but tonally (or totally) worth it.

5. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

You should add a Cornell 45/50 to both the Marshall JTM-45 and 50 watt thing. I've owned a Germino 45, Lead 55, Lovo 55 and Mojave Plexi 45. All great amps, but this one is something special.