Played a Bruno Cow Tipper this past weekend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LordRiffenstein, Nov 8, 2005.

1. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

I picked up my new strat and the builder is also dealer for a bunch of highend stuff and just added Bruno to his amp-line. Now, I'm not the pedal-into-clean amp kinda guy BUT....

The Cowtipper I played was a combo but as there were no speakers in it, it was hooked up to a Matchless cab, speakers unknown. We added a MI Audio Blues Pro and Tube Zone to the chain and I started playing. I have played some nice Fenders but I'm not that big on all things Fender but the Cowtipper has an AMAZING tone all by itself. Not sure which version Cowtipper it was though. Anyway, sweet tone that sounded balssy when wound up, think blackface getting a beating. I think I never played a clean amp for this long [angelic] Then I started to check out the MI Audio pedals. The Blues Pro sounded very nice, adding a touch of crunch going into SRV-territory, it's not a TS though, sounded more even, less midhump. The Tube Zone has more gain and got me into rockier tones, sounded FAT, even on the split bridge of my new guitar. Both pedals worked well standalone, for rhythm and leads but add them together and you are greated with thick juicy lead tones. I played this rig for about an hour and a half and was having heaps of fun. I commented to my girlfriend that this would probably be my rig when I'm old and grey and no longer wanna schlep around rack/head/cab [crazy]

I think the Bruno-hype on TGP is well deserved, amazing amp.

2. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Yeah, Cowtippers are pretty sweet. It's a pity that Tag doesn't like his...

3. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Who??? :confused:

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

BRUNO BRUNO BRUNO!!!!!!!!! :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude

LOL!! Glad you dug the tipper! They are SOOO easy to play, and have that huge 3D sound! It makes playing clean a JOY! Who would have thunk it? :confused: ;)

Really glad you dug the amp. Try to find out which one it was you played. Also, give it a whirl with a Fulldrive II if you get a chance. It just LOVES that pedal for some reason. I always thought you were a real high gain lover, so this is a real surprise! Bruno really makes such great amps.

Now who the heck IS that Tag guy? :confused:

5. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Tag, have I ever told you that you look like a damned psycho? :-D

6. Tag

:cool:

7. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Like a moth drawn to flame.....:). Still digging my CT45 too.

FVB

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Tag,

Is the CT22 a lot quieter than the 45?

9. Tag

Yes. My Cow 22 is in heavy saturation before the 45 even starts to breakup. I love both amps equally. If I HAD to have just one, it would be the 45, because for some things, I just need the extra headroom. Tonewise, they are EXTREMELY similar. The 22 is slightly sweeter sounding, the 45 punchier. My two Favorite amps EVER. I will have to own the 35 and 90 someday.

10. haslar

haslar Member

Tag,

I thought your fave was the UG30?
    :confused:

11. Tag

I switch between the 3 Brunos on a weekly basis. :) If I could only have ONE, it would have to be the Cow 45, because it is the only one that offers me enough clean headroom for some of the things I do. However, that does not mean its my favorite. I love them all equally. :BEER

12. Richards

Richards Member

Tag , I am very interested in picking up a Bruno, can't decide between the UG 30 , or Cow Tipper 35, even the 45 interests me? Can the UG 30 get in Fender Blackface territory? Heading to New Yawk in 3 weeks so, Ultrasound here I come.

13. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I have a Cowtipper 90 and love it. Great amp!

14. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

I've owned both and can chime in if you want. I'm sure Tag will be glad to help out too. The UG 30 is a very unique sounding amp to me. I wouldn't call it's tone Blackface. It's an AC 30 power section coupled with a (if I remember correctly) tweed preamp. The combination is really cool. A super blues machine with AC 30 like shimmer....

If you want Blackface tones with some Bruno mojo added try the Tipper. Make sure if you buy used that it has the bright switch. That's a later enhancement that really seems to add chime to the overall sound, to my ear. Models that have the bright switch usually have the mid boost switch too. It's a very transparent sounding amp with a tight low end and soft silky highs.

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Anytime someone says Bruno, I picture Tag entering from side stage with his cane and tophat.....

:D

16. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Tag:

Aside from one mighty cool pink shirt, you have a mini-avalanche of fine gear. Thanks for the pics!

17. Richards

Richards Member

Thanks for the input Dave, like what you are describing, can't wait to hear one.

18. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

To be honest, when I saw the Bruno amps at the dealer (there were 3 or 4) I thought, Hey, Tag's amps are here :D

I'm going to try and find out which one it was but I guess the 45 because it was LOUD. Not sure if it had the bright and mid switches but it's good to know they are a valuable add-on.

Oh Tag, I have NEVER played a FDII so maybe this is another reason to try one :D

19. 65bfdr

65bfdr Member

I'm thinking I'll one day shoot for a Bruno CT-45 butI'm unsure of what speaker config to go for. 3x10 seems cool but the 1x12 seems a lot cooler for my back. Anyone compare most of those speaker options??

20. tubes4tone

tubes4tone Supporting Member

Tophat? Did somebody say Tophat? Where is it? King, club, Emplexador? It's gotta be around here somewhere.......

;)