1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

PLAYED A CAROL ANN OD2 100 watt

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

VERY VERY nice amp! I was expecting a marshally/Dumbley tone. Not to my ear, Dumble all the way! :AOK The amp sounded EXTREMELY similar to my Old TwoRock low gain E.Pro, but with more gain available. LOTS more gain. :eek:

Cleans are total Dumble, and not nearly as fendery to my ear as I have read others say they are. I played it alongside a Bruno Cowtipper 35, tweedy pie 18, Louis electrics, fender tweed twin, Victoria victorilux (something like that) and a few BF and tweed Fenders. The overdrive channel was fantastic, and had that nice tubey, straining sound I love. Again, VERY similar to the E.Pro I owned. The switchable mid boost worked great in both channels, and the amp just felt right. Just lots of fun to play, and that tubey sound makes you want to bend notes and just listen to it! So this is added to my list of amps that I am looking into for my Dumble tone. Great job with this one!! :AOK

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Great to hear. I have a 50 watt standard head coming in a month or so.

Was this a standard version? He now makes a low gain (Texas) and a high gain one. Is this the one at Lart Street?

3. Tag

Yea the one at Lark, and I would think it HAD to be the high gain one. (Do you know?) It would go into total saturation even with single coils. I loved it, but I may like the low gain one even more. I would LOVE to hear one of those!!

( For anyone wanting a used Bruno Cowtipper 35 1/12 combo, the one at Lark street sounds INCREDIBLE. I did notice that one tube was not lit in the back which is strange, but it sounds AWESOME. It easily had the best cleans of any amp I played today.)

4. scottl

scottl Member

From what Alan told me, there are three versions. Texas - low gain, standard gain (most likely what you played), and crazy ubergain like Matte's.

5. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

I am pretty sure that the one at Lark is a standard gain one... then again what the hell do I know.

Cant wait to get mine in April!!!

6. Tag

LOL!!!!!!!! :D

Man I would LOVE to try a low gainer!!!!!!!!! I bet its even smoother than the one I played. :AOK

Buzz must have thought I was crazy today. I plugged in, bent a note, and said "Hey Buzz, check it out...It sounds like its being played in a cylinder!!! Its TUBEY!!" :D

:BEER

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Nice to a hear another great review.
    I've never played one but am dying to.

Kinda funny how I'm hearing people say its Dumble...
    But,
    I also hear certain people say its not Dumble at all and quite labeling it that.

IIRC, even Alan chimes in on here about how he didn't designed this voiced after Dumbles.
    I also think Lance aka Wichita @ G25 says its not Dumble.

I guess I have to play it for my self but then again, I've never played a "real" Dumble to really compare.

8. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

The cleans are absolutely Dumble. The OD can be Dumbly but to my ear and compared to my Glaswerks and Dumble the OD is like a Dumble, wreck, marshall combo.

9. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Wow, that's quite an OD combo!!! Does anyone know how long of a wait there is for a standard model?

10. rick13

rick13 Member

not to confuse things..but there is also a hybrid version available(that's what I am getting)

Here are the three voicings according to Alan.

1. Standard voicing. Most of the clips have been done with this voicing. It has a wide range of gain with a little bass cut and mor mid-range suitable for anything from Jazz to heavy rock.Joe B's amp uses this voicing.

2. High Gain Voicing. This is the highest gain level for the OD-2 and is suitable for more modern rock styles. Dr Knows amp uses this voicing.

3. Texas Voicing. This is the voicing Eric Johnson liked. It is a lower gain voicing with more bass response. It is like a higher gain version of the clean channel. This voicing works really well if the amp is used at higher volume levels. It still has a reasonable amount of gain and is the most touch sensitive of all the voicings, as one would expect.

I am getting a hybrid which is basically between the standard and the Texas. Tons of gain, but it's fat.
    It will be coming.....very soon.
    Rick

11. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

The hybrid sounds like it would be my choice if I ever get one. The few ODS type amps I have tried, I can never seem to get the bigger lows w/o the woofiness.

12. Tag

I have to disagree. I hear ZERO, and I mean 100% ZERO Trainwreck or Marshall tones. It is 100% Dumble through and through. The overdrive channel was instant Dumble, even with the gain way up, and it has LOTS of gain, like a real Dumble. It is WAY WAY to smooth and dark for Trainwreck. Not even CLOSE to my ear, and yes I have played original Trainwrecks and hated them. This amp is as smooth as butter, with no buzzing or harsh tones, even with the beautifully voiced bright switch on. The MV also works as good as any I have tried, and I could get great tones at very low volumes. It is a GREAT amp. We need to know which version Lark street has in the head. It was a 100 watt into a 2/12 Bogner cab.

13. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

My standard 50 will float into total saturation and beautiful feedback that makes you want to just hold the note and go grab a beer while you're enjoying it. You may very well find out that it is the standard, not the high-gain version.

14. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

How are the lower to medium gain tones out of the standard? If you are playing fairly gainy, does it clean up pretty well?

15. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

Funy I'm not a big wreck fan either, heard several and eh .. not my thing, I am a friend of Alan's (disclaimer Im biased) would guess it the regular version, the texas version rocks, sounds incredible BUT you gotta be able to play it at Texas volumes (like master at 8.) But if you can its beyond good.

I have never heard a real Dumble HRM but to my ears it has a marshall vibe but super warm, almost like you have 2 guitars playing when there is one. I recently play tested one for Alan that was the inbetween regular gain and high gain and it was killer, takes pedals well too, glad you dug it !
    Jim

16. gregc

gregc Member

Nice review, Tag. I think I'm gonna like it!

17. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

No worries Tag. As I said it can be dialed into sound like a Dumble but it also has the touch responsiveness of my trainwreck. I did forget to mention mine is the only other one that is set up like the JB amp if I remember correctly. Perhaps that acounts for the differences in what I hear and what you hear. On a final note I would never describe a trainwreck (at least a real one) as buzzy or bright. Mine nor the other two I have played sound like that description.

18. Tag

Umm...the one I played was a real one, and the Dumbles, fender HR Deville, PV classic 30, Bogner shiva, (6L6and EL84) twoRock Emerald Pro, Mesa Tremoverb, twoRock Opal, Bruno Cowtipper, Bruno UG30, Maven Peal, Allesandro English, Victoria bassman clone and other amps were every bit as touch sensitive, and all cleaned up with the volume knob every bit as good as each other and the Express. We SPECIFICALLY tested for this with all amps. Ultrasound now has 6-7 REAL Trainwrecks that anyone can go in and A/B with the Dumbles and all other amps there like I did. It really puts the hype into perspective. Especially seeing the PV classic 50 and fender HR Devill having cleans that hung with or surpassed any of the most expensive boutiques. The trainwreck works for you like the brunos work for me, and thats all that really matters. The Hype has to be left at the door.

19. scottl

scottl Member

Later Dumbles had both the post OD stack and a much more Marshall/Bassman inspired power amp. They do have the sensitivity that VoodooSound describes.

From what Alan has told me, the Carol Ann is most certainly based around this late model Dumble topography with some of his years of experience thrown into the design. Anyone who says this amp is not Dumble related is feeding misinformation. No matter what Alan does in the voicing, it is still a Dumble based toppgraphy. He has said so much, many times in public.

It is cool that he has melded his own voicing ideas to create a special amp.

Sounds like a great amp and I am looking forward to trying one.

20. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Sounds like a wonderful build.Thanks for the review and thread Tag.