Played a D'Angelico EX-SS Today...

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
The GC I played it at had it priced at double the street price. Idk what they're smoking, but I'm sure it would fetch a nice wad of cash on the streets.

It was a gorgeous guitar. Well-made, incredibly resonant acoustically, and sounded SO good plugged in. The real winning points were all of the top-notch components. Grover Imperial tuners, Switchcraft jack, real MOP inlays, ebony knobs, etc.

Where it fell short, for me at least, was how it felt. It felt no better than an Epiphone Dot. Very plasticky feeling. I was actually quite shocked at how "cheap" the guitar felt.

Here's the kicker! No matter how much I hated the way it felt, I couldn't stop playing it. The TONE was there. More jazzy and airy than a 335 or 339, but it still had that bite and growl if you wanted it.

The GC I played it at had it priced at double the street price.
Two GCs near me have had them at the price for 5 or 6 months. My guess is that something got goofed up in the GC system (like they entered List Price instead of MAP).

I agree with the other comments- the guitar sounds and plays decently, but the finish and hardware makes it feels like a cheaper import.

Last edited:

axe4me

I've played real ones made by John.

The recent batch doesn't float my boat.

In fact, they're garbage compared to what John made.

Given the recent price and construction, they're not on the same planet as the originals.

I don't think many will understand this, unless you've played the real thing, those re-issues, or rather regurgitations, are a joke made by individuals who obtain a once glorious name and try to make a $ on past greatness by manufacturing in a cheaper part of the world.

John and his Kenmare St shop are in shock of the stone ears that are around these days.

It's today's biz and it'll only get worse.

xrcdan

lets see here,an original sells on reverb.com ,depending on model from 11000 to 48000 dollars. one poster here says there not"on the same planet as the originals". ya think.

let me tell ya, i have this model in natural and paid 1500 for it new. a hell of a guitar for that price, well made, no problems nothing for me to adjust,played great strait out of the box.

so you can pay 48000 for a 1938 new yorker or take that money buy one for 1500,then buy a 2016 bmw 3 gt for cash(39497.00) and have 6000 left over for incidentals.

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
lets see here,an original sells on reverb.com ,depending on model from 11000 to 48000 dollars. one poster here says there not"on the same planet as the originals". ya think.

let me tell ya, i have this model in natural and paid 1500 for it new. a hell of a guitar for that price, well made, no problems nothing for me to adjust,played great strait out of the box.

so you can pay 48000 for a 1938 new yorker or take that money buy one for 1500,then buy a 2016 bmw 3 gt for cash(39497.00) and have 6000 left over for incidentals.
Yes, big difference in cost/quality, but, that BMW and guitar will deappreciate from day 1 and become at some point nearly recycle money. Vintage guirar will hold value, maybe go up slightly.

That said, I'll take the BMW, 1,500 guitar, etc instead....with no hesitation.

Martin82

I don't know what you're all smoking. I bought one in grey/black last year. There's nothing cheap sounding/feeling about the guitar. I would put it on a par with my Gibson 335s and 339.

axe4me

Buy what you want.

McDonalds with keep you from starving too.

Maybe I'm not on the same planet.

Junk is junk

The real thing is still better.

Bob's Discount Furniture is functional.

I worked for Baker Furniture way back.

Their furniture was impeccable.

A wooden box will function too

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
The current brand intrigues me, but that is about $1,000 to $1,200 overpriced; maybe more.

Martin82

They have four ranges - Master Builder, Premier, Excel and Deluxe, all with their own SS model. Although the picture is of an Excel SS, maybe GC confused it with one of the other ranges.

SoundsGood

I have an EX-DC.... (Bought it used for 800 on Reverb.)

My only complaint is that the neck, having a poly finish, can get sticky and I have to change how I move up and down it. But the tone, both plugged in and unplugged is amazing.

And I found out what the buzzing was. Took it to my luthier, Barrett Coughlin, and he did a check.... only to find the truss rod was loose, causing the buzzing. He tightened it and the sympathetic buzzing stopped. I think the seller loosened it for shipment.

Barrett stated that I had gotten very lucky and got an amazing guitar for 800.

It is an excellent guitar. Only weak point, besides the poly neck, are the armstrong pickups... which aren't too bad. I replaced them with some antiquity buckers. I am going to sand the neck down too. Then, it will be almost perfect.

Last edited:

LoopyBullet

Silver Supporting Member
I have to agree with OP on this one.

Went to GC and played an EX-SS and 2 EXL-1's, and they all had the same plastic feel, for the most part. The EX-SS had a slightly better feel to it, but overall I didn't waste my money.

I want to like the new D'Angelico brand so much. They're great designs visually, but I didn't like the feel, at all! The EXL-1's felt damn heavy. Also, I noticed that the finish around the fretboard extensions were pretty rough on the EXL-1's. I was also not impressed by the purely acoustic sounds from the guitars. Kind of dulled and soft acoustically.

If they could shoot those guitars CLEANLY, with a THIN finish, and not overbuild them (light archtops feel so great!), then I'd buy in to the brand.

axe4me

I don't know what you're all smoking. I bought one in grey/black last year. There's nothing cheap sounding/feeling about the guitar. I would put it on a par with my Gibson 335s and 339.

IMO, current Gibson guitars are not on par with what the McCarty era produced.

Just my opinion

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
I was recently visiting NYC for a couple shows and went to one of the famous music shops and chatted with owner for a long while, played vintage guitars, which were mostly two (2) vintage D'Angelico's and he mentioned in so many words that new production units are **** and that Eastman would be a better choice for $1,500.00 range. So, I never played a new production unit, but units from 30's were great, felt great, sounded great, etc. At this cost price range save up another $500-$700.00, what's the rush, and get find a great playing Gibson 335 or Heritage H535. You're so close to something special that you'll appreciate much more and never have GAS for again, check box checked. Silly, actually embarrassing to be so close and settle for less so you can buy a boutique pedal or two or a crap amp.

SoundsGood

I don't know. I think at 1300, including set up- new pickups and a fret level crown polish, my Ex-DC is an amazing deal.

But new? I would have to agree that saving up another 5-700 would be worth it.

Last edited:

xrcdan

the ex -ss is a different animal then gibson 335 or heritage 535.mine a lefty has block under the bridge that does not touch the back of guitar. i'll also say that i own both a heritage prospect and 535 and these have center block that contact both front and back of instrument. imo the ex-ss has a much "woodier " tone the the others.
'

had an eastman t186,nitro finish,solid wood not laminate(mahog. back maple top) duncan p/u's. this would be a better comparison (did not have center block, if i remember correctly) think it was thinner then the ss also.it was quite a looker(violin finish).sold it because it tended to feedback rather easily.

Martin82

IMO, current Gibson guitars are not on par with what the McCarty era produced.

Just my opinion
What does that have to do with the comparison I made? I have a Gibson 335 produced in 2011. It's a great guitar. What I was stating is that my EX-SS is as good as my 335.

Last edited:

Trending Topics