Played a Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teleking36, Jul 18, 2006.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

All I can say is....wow.

This amp is absolutely killer! A Boston-area shop just started carrying Fred's wonderful amps, so I took the opportunity to stop by and finally check em out firsthand before they were all bought up.

What an incredible amp. Probably the best Voxy cleans I've ever heard. Actually, it sounds better than most of the Vox amps I've heard! I played it through a matching 1x12 cab that had a G12H30 in it. I was concerned about the amp not having enough low end, but this guy delivered! Very tight and focused bass, and wonderful mids and highs that worked magic with the USA tele I played with.

And talk about versatility! The 6V6 side of the amp was equally impressive, and the EQ was simple, yet effective. What a loud amp for 9/15 watts.

That being said, this amp makes me think about selling my Dr. Z rig. I can't even BEGIN to imagine what the RSA 31 sounds like.

My main question is....to those of you who owned/own one. Is the JRT capable of keeping up with a band up to a medium sized venue?

[​IMG]

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

you may have a headroom issue in a band situation (i did through a single g12h30) ... but i think if you ran it through 2 blues or something you'd be in the general area. The amp is great at what it does and fills it's nitch in fred's line of amps.

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

This is my favorite of all of Freds' amps that I have played through. I would have to mic it, and angle the speaker towards my ears to use it live.

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I played one chord and practically cried. Then I ponied up the $$! Picking it up 8/1.

My next amp will probably be a JRT 9/15. However, unmic'd I don't know how it will fare live. You say medium venues...also what kind of band? I play in an indie rock band in medium venues (300-800) and anything below 30w is pretty much out of the question.

5. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

I finally got to play a RSA23 last weekend, it is a wonderful sounding amp. Didn't get to crank it up very much maybe 9-10 O'Clock on the click channel. Very Marshally but better (and I'm a Marshall nut) There was a RSA31 sitting right next to it but I didn't try it, now I wish I would have....

6. Timmo

Timmo Member

The short answer is....... NO.

7. teleking36

I'm the guitarist in a Country-Rock Americana band, like a cross between Gram Parsons and Wilco/Ryan Adams. I guess you could say that I'm in charge of putting the edge on some of our songs, which is where the "rock" half of our Country-Rock sound comes from. I'm also playing along side a pedal steel player, and we complement each other very well.

hw2nw, i'm not playing near the capacity of your shows on a regular basis. lots of NYC and Boston club gigs and some low-medium sized gigs, probably capping out at around 100 people at the most packed bigger venues.

i guess i feel that i'm not really using the RX ES to its potential, and that maybe going the lower wattage route is a better fit for me. I'm an EL84 guy all the way, but I love what I got out of the 6V6s in the JRT. This is one of the only amps, if not THE only amp that has made me rethink what's REALLY good. it's a lot to consider as well, seeing as college loans kinda get in the way, and a future move and job change to NYC will also hinder any big gear purchases. But it's something I am seriously going to consider within the next few months. In order to get the D13, I'd have to move my RX ES and ZBest, and probably throw about $800-900 in. It would take some time.

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I'd say then the 9/15 is up your alley for sure...everyone's got a different definition of "medium" venue I guess :D. What I would also do is match it with the club series 2x12 cab...the extra speaker will give you some more push (it looks like a 1x12 in the picture?). I'd be worried if you had a heavy-handed drummer, but the 9/15 is deceivingly loud.

P.S. If you or anyone reading this thread comes through LA, you're more than welcome to stop by my place to try out the RSA31!

9. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

If you love an overdriving Vox, it's truly a religious experience to turn up the RSA31. :D

10. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I went from a D/13 1x12 with a Celestion Blue to a 2x12D with Celestion Herritage reissue Greenbacks. The amp sounds so much better with the 2x12D. One Blue was overwhelmed and could not handle the low end from the 9/15.

I have also played the amp through a 1x12 with a G12H30 and that sounded great too. The G12H30 matched up with the amp much better than the Blue IMO. If you go with a 1x12, stick with the G12H30 (thats what Fred recommends but I didn't listen and went with the Blue). I have even played the amp through a friend's Alessandro 2x12 with Blues and I still liked the low end of the amp better with 1-G12H30 that I did with two Blues.

The 2x12D is closed back which also makes a difference in the way the amp sound spreads out on stage.

11. teleking36

Eric,

What kind of music are you playing thru the 9/15?

I'm in love with my ZBest. Easily my favorite 2x12. How does Fred's 2x12D compare to something like the ZBest? I think I'd be more inclined to stick with the 1x12 cab, and I'm not afraid of mic'ing if need be. In most situations, however, the mic'ing probably wouldn't be necessary. And if I need to push some more air on stage, couldn't I just plug in another 1x12 to complement the D13 1x12?

12. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Played a 9/15 with a 2X12 (blue/G12H30) sounded killer but it had no where near enough clean or headroom to play with a rock drummer in a live situation IMO. I really enjoyed the sound and feel of the amp but it wasn't going to cut it for my gigging needs. Records beautifully. Now the RSA31... that'll keep up just fine from what I've heard. Fred is the coolest and builds sick amps. Anything coming out of that shop is top shelf.

Good luck!

<M

13. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Because that 31 is G*ddamn LOUD!!! It'll put some hair on your chest!

14. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

The SJT 10/20 might be worth a consideration... more headroom than the JRT 9/15. More of a Fender tone with Fred's charm mixed in.

Since volume is not a concern for me, but flexibility is, the JRT 9/15 would sit nicely aside my RSA23 in my 'studio'.

15. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey there, thanks for the post. Which Boston -area shop carries them now? Eric

16. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I totally agree with your observations.A 2x12D is up my alley soon!
    Miking the amp is probably the best solution for stage work.
    A little something I came across the other day:for best clean up from the volume control when the hotter 5879 channel is dimmed or nearly dimmed,I keep the cleaner channel volume around 10 to 11 o'clock.It doesn't affect the overdriven sound that much but adds great chime to the cleans.
    I love the JRT!!!

Ted

17. teleking36

Boston Guitar Works in Brockton just got them in about 2 weeks ago. They've got the JRT I played (pictured), RSA 31, and the FTR 37.

I think I could get away with using this amp in a live setting. I like to have my cleans, but I'm always playing with a little breakup. If I need to mic it, I think I'd be all set. If it really doesn't happen in a live setting, I'd probably go to the RSA 31.

But who am I kidding?!? I dont have $3-4k to blow on an amp anyway. Someday....

18. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I stopped by Rock n' Roll Vintage in Chicago and heard a guy playing an FTR37 (he bought it) and I played an RSA 31. GREAT sounds. Lately I've had a really good streak when trying out amps (played a Bad Cat AB50 and Black Cat). Verdict: RSA31 has a great voxy sound to it. The click channel is insanely good. You won't get a traditional vox sound due to the huge bottom end. I can see for some people the bottom could be overbearing, but I loved it. An awesome mix of modern and vintage. The bad cat stuff was killer as well. Loved the Voxiness of the Black Cat and the AB50 was is the only channel switcher I've played where I appreciated both channels equally.

19. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I'm using the 9/15 for more bluey/stones type tones primarilly with my Tele or the LP Jr and a Fulldrive. The Strat sounds great through it too. I have no experience with the ZBest so I can't comment on that. I also use mine with a Budda open back 2x12 with Budda speakers and it sounds great through that as well.

My main point was that if you go with a 1x12, go with the G12H30. The Blue is a great speaker with the right amp, but I didn't think it matched up well with the 9/15. I would have been perfectly happy with a G12H30 in the 1x12, and I was going to make the change, but I came across the 2x12D used for just a little more than I could sell the 1x12 for so I went that route.