Played a Fuchs ODS today...have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by klaetos, Jan 19, 2008.

1. klaetos

klaetos Member

I tried out a Two Rock Jet and a Fuchs ODS 50 today. I was comparing a new Gibson 339 and a CS-336.

I really like the flexibility of the Fuchs. No matter where I turned the dials or what switches I pulled etc. it all sounded good. I was surprised there was so much gain available.

I play a huge variety of music from jazzy stuff to blues to rock to 80's rock stuff. I have been on the hunt for a new amp looking mostly for EL34 sounds but after playing this Fuchs I might change gears a little. My question is more about rhythm playing. It seems like this amp will do about 80% of what I do but not quite the raunchy marshally sound. Can you get there with a pedal?? What OD's are you using?? Anyone using a BOR or King of the Britains?

Thanks!

2. klaetos

klaetos Member

3. jspax7

jspax7 Member

If it's a stock 50, I'd suggest a pedal for your crunch tones. Use the Fuchs for clean and overdrive.

I have an ODS30. Mine has the 4 button artist footswitch.

My footswitch is assigned left to right:
    Loop, OD, MID, GAIN.

If you can swing it, I'd suggest a hand tuned model, so you can tell Andy exactly what you'd like the amp to cover. There are several things that can be done with the mid boost and gain boost that will give you more flexibility.

For example, my mid boost now has a pull pot to select the frequency that is boosted when I hit the footswitch. There's the normal value, and one that has more of a Marshall/Soldano vibe. It's a far different amp than I sent in, and I've only had it back for a few days, so I need to get re-acquainted with it.

4. klaetos

klaetos Member

Thanks for the tip jspax. If you can...clips would be awesome on the mid-boost sound. They had a 30 but I didn't get a chance to play that one. I might grab my guitar and head out there again on Monday to give the 30 a try with my gear. It's a big chunk of change though...might have to just keep my eyes open for a used one.

Anyone know of any dealers with a used ODS 30 for sale with the 4 button Artist FS? (PM me if you do)

5. danel59

danel59 Member

I have an ODS30SLX that does take pedals quite well. I use a BB/RC and AC Booster and they work quite well. I have a Koch Pedaltone and tried a Landmine Distortion. the Tonebone Plexidrive and a few other distortion pedals with good results and if you combine the various boost functions it should get you to that territory. And as mentioned above there is the hand tuning option which I have been thinking of looking into as well

Great amps!

Dan

6. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Slightly OT, but I noticed that you tried the Jet also. How did the two amps compare? Sounds like you liked the Fuchs better. I know I'm not helping with your question, but I'm thinking of either an ODS30 or the Jet.

7. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I had a Fuchs and was in the same boat. I sold it and bought a Kingsley and havent looked back.It was really no comparison for me but if you like the Fuchs go for it.

8. klaetos

klaetos Member

First of all let me preface this by saying.."I am not that great of player, just learning still and I haven't played a lot of high end amps." So having said that, no one should put any weight on my opinions. I am just looking for something that works for me.

OK...having said the disclaimer, when I picked up the ES 339 to play I thought, lets plug into the Two Rock JET (6V6) with the TR cab. Might as well plug it in to the most expensive one there, right?! I think something might have been wrong with it, maybe a speaker bad or something? It was getting some weird buzzing to it and I was having a difficult time dialing anything in good and clean. And with the humbuckers it didn't have the clean that I was looking for. I would like to try a TR with the 6L6 sometime. From what I have heard around here from players that can play WAY better then me, the TR are something great. So...I would guess either I couldn't play it or something was wrong with it. None of the Two Rock clips I have heard sound anything like the one I tried to play.

I plugged into the Fuchs not because I was shopping that amp, it was because I was curious about the 339 vs. the CS-336 and the Fuchs was sitting next to the Two Rock. I was checking out the difference in the guitars it really wasn't about the amp to begin with. What I found was the ODS seemed to be something special and it was one of those moments that no matter what I turned or played on the amp it ALL sounded really nice.

9. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Thanks. Sounds like the Jet might have had a problem.

They both have great sounding clips. No dealers in my area. But, I'm in Austin right now and Fuchs list 2 dealers here, so I'll see if I can find one to try tomorrow. The 4 way artist footswitch on the Fuchs looks very interesting. But the size and weight of the Jet is attractive too.

10. hollowbodyhead

hollowbodyhead Member

I'm using a Tim and a Small Fry with my ODS 50. Tim covers any crunch I need and the Small Fry just gives me a little different flavor on the OD. However, you really don't NEED anything else with the Fuchs. Especially with the Artist footswitch.

11. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

A 6v6 amp will sound different than a 6L6 for starters, so don't dismiss that particular Two Rock.

The ODS 50 is 6L6 based, right? I found that channel switchers with el34s just weren't working for me. Single channel el34 amps, however, I love. A newer Fuchs ODS (made after the middle of '06 IIRC) comes stock with the "crunch mod", which I'm told makes quite a bit of difference. I have a newer TDS 50 (again, crunch mod stock), and my amp-GAS is pretty much cured. I really like how the 6L6 tubes perform in a channel switcher.

12. klaetos

klaetos Member

Yeah, the ODS50 is a 6L6 it did have a very nice crunch!