PLayed a gig in NYC last weekend. Brought my Mesa Mark V head, Cab...and?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Droptopandy, May 20, 2019.

1. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

So we had a show at the Bitter End and lately I've been using a Mark V head on a Mesa 4x12. I just got a Vertical 2x12 because the 4x12 is just too much, I'm going to hurt myself dragging that monster around. Anyway, typical nightmare scenario in the City. Found parking 3 blocks from the club but only brought my 2 guitars and pedalboard as to scope the place out. It was packed, there was a small band room in the back that was PACKED. There were bands going on before and after us and there was nowhere to put anything. A rude barmaid came in and yelled at me for blocking the ice machine.

The stage had a backline of Fender combo amps and I'm starting to panic. Do I use my head on a combo and use the combo as a cabinet? It's pouring out and dragging a Mesa head and a 70lbs 2x12 wasn't sounding like a good option.

So fast forward to me freaking out, not knowing what I was going to do. We're a modern rock band and I use a crisp clean with chorus out front and delay in my loop and I rely heavily on the Mesa footswitch. What was I going to do with a clean sounding Fender combo that I didn't know what model it was or if it had an effects loop.

Time to hit the stage and I say ok, let's try to make something to happen with the Fender. I rewire my pedalboard as I'm setting up just taking the delay out of an FX loop chain and using it straight in. For gain, I used an MXR OD classic and set the gain all the way up and left the level halfway. And I couldn't believe how well it worked out. I was getting just enough gain from the combo with my pedal for solid hard rock rhythm tones. The amp itself sounded great for clean, it was a real solid ballsy sounding amp. I really appreciated the simplicity of it all. Overall, nobody in my band would have known the difference and the show went well. Fender combo....who would have thought!

e???, the_Chris, jhale and 13 others like this.
  2. Triocd

Triocd Supporting Member

What fender combo was it? I honestly don’t know why you’re surprised a fender combo worked out well. To me, they are predictable in that you know you’ll get good tones as long as you aren’t playing metal.

jamme61, keefsdad, fridgit and 3 others like this.
  3. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

If they provide a backline, I personally wouldn't be dragging an amp with me, especially in the city. And only a pedal or two/tiny board will cover stuff I do.

Playing a tiki bar gig tomorrow and I am dragging a light weight stereo rig with me, which is over the top for me. Two 17 lb speakers and a AX8, which is two trips to the car, instead of the normal one.

Gary Ladd, Blanket Jackson and QRSS like this.
  4. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

Awesome!! This is the REAL isht right here.

Live on the club (or lower) scene is Mr. Murphy and his gang maximizing the old adage "No plan survives contact with the enemy." This is EXACTLY why I carried a small 1x10 and a much larger 2x12 combo for so many years when I was deep into the club scene. You just never know WTH is going to happen and you need as many options as possible.

5. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

My head and a Suhr Reactive Load IR would be my preferred prepared solution.

the_Chris and moore-fiend like this.
  6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

For me it's AX8 into anything (in front of a clean combo, in FX loop with cab sims off, direct to PA (any PA) with cab sims on)
    If it's a quick gig I would bring my dual gigbag with Tele in one side, AX8 plus cables in the other, Boss WL-20 charged wireless in the top pocket.

Kingpin2, ur2funky and Crash-VR like this.
  7. jiml

jiml Member

Nobody gigs NYC with a cab/head these days, all 1×12 combos...

fretless and Dexter.Sinister like this.
  8. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, was using a V:35 1x12 until early this year when shipped my NE/NYC rig back down here. Small but mighty, it was!

9. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Why bother with all that in a scenario you described? Just get a floor Helix or as someone else mentioned, the Fractal AX8. Or even just a Blues Cube Artist. A complex rig in a crowded place, 3 blocks from parking, in the rain.... come on man!

jdel77, keefsdad, Losov and 1 other person like this.
  10. Droptopandy

I don't know what it was but it took that OD pedal well. I haven't played a Fender combo in years and didn't think it would work for me since I'm used to using a Mesa.

11. Droptopandy

Yeah you got that right. For the guys suggesting a modeler.....no thanks. A small 1x12 combo is much easier to deal with when you have 5 minutes to setup and the sound guy is rushing everyone to go. That soundguy in a place like that is used to combos, I think he would think a Helix is a doorstop.

12. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Supporting Member

I'm done hauling amps. AX8, one feed to FOH, one feed to my own monitor.Sounds better and is more flexible than any combo amp to me and quicker to set up.
    The last time I played in NYC was in the mid 90's and I was using a JCM 800 and a 4x12 along with all the other bands.

Bentayuk likes this.
  13. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

You stated some of the many reasons why we don't bother playing in the city anymore. I wouldn't even know what to do there since my setup is like yours, delays & reverbs in the loop and 95% of my dirt comes from the amp. I don't even have a dirt pedal on my board so I would have been screwed, or playing fuzz for everything lol. I won't even bother playing if I can't use my rig in most cases, I hate it! I once had to play the Stone Pony with an Ibanez Toneblaster half stack that was on meltdown from an all day festival. I couldn't get the gain up to basic rock levels without it squealing like a pig. I said never again after that.

14. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Got any pics of your setup? Do you bring your own monitor?

15. jujube

jujube Member

What you need is the classic Boogie 1x12 open back cab for your Mark head.

16. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Supporting Member

This is basically it. Guitar cable in,one XLR to FOH with an IR on it and one cable to Seymour Duncan powerstage 170 (no IR on it), then out of that to a 1x12 monitor with a V30 in it. I can control each output separately so I have control over my own monitor level right at the AX8. Bass player is going direct also.We just started doing it this way with no amps on stage.I'm thinking of just getting the powered Headrush 108 for my monitor to further simplify setup (eliminate the Powerstage and 1x12
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    bradlake and DonaldDemon like this.
  17. db2112

db2112 Member

I like using a 1x12 widebody cab (mine is closed back) with the Mark V 90w head - splits up the weight compared to carrying in a Mark combo. I still think about getting a bigger 2x12 cab sometimes, but don't know where I would use it, and not sure it would fit in my car with rest of my gear.

eoengineer and jujube like this.
  18. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I have played with just my guitar & a Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 V2 & a Japanese girl Wah. Everything fits into the pocket on my mono bag M80, I wear the mono bag like a backpack, makes for simple load in/out!

InkStained likes this.
  19. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

20. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

I just tried two Alto TS208 (basically a Headrest 108) in stereo at a fairly loud gig, outdoor oceanfront, sound covering pool & restaurant, huge place. I didn't need to plug into the PA, they did really well, much better than I was expecting.