Played a gig with a Pro Jr Last Night

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TimD, Oct 1, 2006.

1. TimD

TimD Member

So, I normally play a late 70's MV Marshall and either a 2x12 or 4x12 cab depending on where we are playing. This weekend we had a schedule change and ended up playing at a rather small venue that normally doesn't have loud rock music so I needed a smaller set up. We play mostly southern and classic rock.
    I took my Pro Jr and a Marshall 1965 4x10 cab. I was a little worried about having enough clean headroom. Well, I was completely floored with the tone I had all night long! I couldn't believe the clarity and body my tone had.
    My pedalboard has a crybaby classic, fulltone 69, keeley comp, timmy, clone chorus and a boss dm3. Everything worked great with this set up. We are playing another small venue next week and I'm taking this rig out again just to make sure I wasn't hearing things.

So, here's a question.......What amp is out there that can deliver similiar tones but in a head package? I liked just having the volume and tone, seems like there's less "clutter" .

What's out there?

2. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I gigged many times with that exact rig; Pro Jr through a Marshall 4x10. It's amazingly good, isn't it :dude

/rick

3. TimD

TimD Member

I'm still surprised at how amazingly good it is. I can't get over it. The tone made me happy as a clam all night long.

I hope it wasn't a fluke!

4. Tone Shop Guitars

Tone Shop Guitars Member

I was having problems with my AC30's and used it at a big gig one night.
    My pedalboard and just the jr.
    The sound guy couldn't believe how it sounded!!!

I also saw a soundman tell someone to turn down their pro jr one night.
    I was cracking up!!! Can't win.

Tr
    :crazy
    viva la jr

5. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

Question...why do you need a head package? The Pro Jr. is as small and lighter than most heads. I say keep using it like that. I live in Nashville and know a few guys who do just that, playing pro jr. through a 2x12 or 4x10....

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Silverboy has a good point. The Jr really is a fairly small amp to begin with.

Or, if you really want a head and are happy with the Jr, why not have someone build a head cab for it. Save the original cab and sell it with both cabs when the time comes.

7. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I'm glad it works out weel because I have one on order. Can't wait to get it. There is a guy on this forum that has a Pro Jr. that he had convertedinto a head I believe by Bob Burt. I can't remember his name though. I'm sure he'll chime in.

8. Griz

Griz Member

I have a tweed-covered Pro Junior from the early 90's. The stock Eminence alnico blue-frame sounds pretty good; Fender used them in the early Vibro-Kings, though I understand that speaker generally gets mixed reviews.

What great value in an amp, though. I have an early 90's AC30 reissue, which sounds better of course; but not $2000 better. The PJ has a wonderful combination of sparkle, chime and growl at medium settings. And it records beautifully.

Years back, I had the output transformer replaced with one that has switchable output impedance, so I've been able to hear the amp running through a variety of speakers. It sounds excellent running through its stock 10" 8 ohm speaker in parallel with an 8 ohm Vintage 30 (4 ohm load for the pair). I have the Celestion in a small closed-back cab, and it adds some extra kick while the 10 preserves the chime. Even just with the 10, that little box is loud.

The 4x10 Marshall cab sounds like an interesting way to go too. Gotta try that. Are you using a newer cab, or a old one?

I agree with Silverboy. That tiny combo might look a bit odd perched up on top of a Marshall cab, but it doesn't weigh much and it's handy having the instant availability of the smaller format, in case circumstances preclude the 4x10.

9. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Back when I had a Jr, I was always tempted by these...

[​IMG]

10. TimD

TimD Member

Griz, the cab I'm using is from the mid 80's with the stock celestions.

As to why I may want a head? I'm in the mood to try some different things.
    I'm still keeping the Pro Jr. but was thinking of trying some new amps out.
    The fact that I was able to use a sub 20 watt amp at a gig has now opened up an entire world of possibilities. And again, the tone was unbelieveable.

So, what amps may be close?
    18 watt Marshall or one of the many clones/
    Carmen Ghia?

Thanks!
    Tim

11. Griz

Griz Member

Unclemeet;

If you're in the market for an amazing Marshall 18 watt type of head, I can recommend Trinity Amps' sIII. It has one stock channel (2 inputs, replica of the original) and a hot channel (2 inputs, sounds like a plexi-era Marshall) with a master volume. I can't get a bad sound out of this thing, and it is loud. They also make a Matchless Lightning knock-off. They each cost around $1100 or so. Aluminum chassis, PTP turret board build, etc. First rate.

12. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

You might try a Dr Z Carmen Ghia.

13. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

I think it's somewhere between the 18 watt Marshall sound and the Fender Tweed sound. I remember reading something on Monster Mike Welch's site that he felt it was Fender's best amp under $2K, and he has a built-up version of one.

14. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere Supporting Member

check out the Goodsell Super 17 www.superseventeen.com.
    just way smokin'! Richard is the man. he does everything from soup to nuts, except build the cab. he's way friendly and his amps are awesome tone machines.
    I'm so lovin' mine. way loud too for a 17 watt 2 x EL84 amp. plenty of clean headroom and plenty of chime & grind. loves pedals too :AOK

15. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I have become very used to the idea that any amp over 30 watts is FAR too much for any club gig. I think the recent (last couple years) trend toward the 15-18 watt arena has it's origins in this realization.

Like most, I started out with 50 - 100 watters, was continually frustrated by the fact that I couldn't get a good sound no matter what I did, unless I cranked the amp and drowned out everyone else. Moved to lots of pedals to get a tone that was only partially what I wanted.

Since continuing to lower wattage (Super Reverb - great tone, still much too loud.... Mesa MK IV - lots of versatility but even at it's lowest wattage config -still too loud.... several boutiques in the 35 - 40 watt range... almost perfect, but still unable to wrench THE tone from them at gig volumes) I am getting more and more in-tune with just how good the right mix of punch, clarity and a little breakup sounds in the mix.

That has been the key for me. I take my nice 40 watters and dial in a really good clean at decent volumes at home. It sounds perfect... then I get to the gig and it sounds thin... sterile... too clean even... and gets lost in the mix unless I turn it up, then the rest of the band is upset.

I have settled in at the 18 - 20 watt range with a nice tweed circuit and ... voila!... not really clean at home, has a bit of grit (not what I have in my head for a nice warm tone), but still sounds good... BUT... once the band starts up and I start playing, it comes through the mix as a phenomenal WARM, ROUND, FAT tone! It's the tone in my head, but it sounds MUCH better on stage than at home. I think I was running "too clean" before. And better yet... all I have to do is hit my pickup switch, or dig in a bit and I get some of the best Rock rhythm tones ever.... spin up the guitar volume and I could easily play the entire gig without a pedal if I wanted.

Strange what an evolution tone searching can be huh?

16. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

I gigged with one for about a year. I still would if I was playing those types of venues. And yes I have been asked to turn my pro jr. down by management, FYI it was on 5 at the time. I thought it was funny until I realized they were serious.

17. jdps150

jdps150 Member

I recently got a WoodCross ThunderChief head.
    Runs 6V6s or 6L6s. 20/30 watts.
    I'm going to keep a 1x12 cab @ home & the 2x12 @ practice & just have to lug the head back & forth.
    Smaller gigs the 1x12 goes, & larger the 2x12. Outdoors, both (1x12 on the other side of the drums.
    [​IMG]

18. taylorooney

taylorooney Active Member

can one play a PJ through a 16ohm 4x12? im an ohms dummy, so someone tell me whats what before i blow **** up. i too wish the PJ was offered as a head. or w/ a 12 instead of a 10.

19. HHB

HHB Member

played many a gig w/ a pro jr, just the stock combo amp, I should buy another

20. FrankW

FrankW Member

I always loved my Tweed Pro Jr. for its sound and portability...when it was working. I hated it for its unreliability. After another incident of annoying hum and crackle in the studio I put it to my repairman and told him to rebuild it with quality parts, tube sockets and a new tranny to use 6v6s. Yesterday I got it back and played the first gig. It sounds even better now (well it is kind of a different amp now).
    Very quiet, cleaner sounding, just perfect for early Blue Note type Jazz guitar (perfect frequencies, no trouble with feedback from an archtop), but also great with a strat for blues! The distortion when cranked is smoother than I remember it to be which to me is a good thing. No problem with volume at all. Really made me think about my amp collection..