Played a Komet Concorde Today!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LP Blues, Sep 15, 2006.

1. LP Blues

LP Blues Member

Ok guys. I just sold my D13 LDW on the page. I decided to drive 6.5 hours to Ultrasound Rehearsal Studios in NY today. I left at 4am and just got home at 10pm. I was at the studio for an 1.5. Traffic sucks!!! Anyway, after MUCH reading on these pages ect... I wanted to here the Komet 60 and the Concorde. I also tried out a Blockhead. I am very tired so Ill make this short. I have owned and/or tried almost every well known amp out there. The Concorde is coming home with me in about one week. It has to be the best amp I have ever played. I miss none of the others after playing this. Ill elaborate more tomorrow. Im cross eyed right now. Take care, Mel

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

This has to be the absolute best gear whore thread of the year! You know you are a gear junkie when you will go to these lengths to try a new amp! :BEER :dude

3. pepi

pepi Member

Then in 6 months you'll get GAS again and sell it and buy a PODxt :rotflmao

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

This Concorde has that 'flav o' the month' feel to it. But as many people who have played it and the 'I HAVE to have this amp' consensus is turning my head to say the least.

Of course I would have to get on a plane to be able to try one out...

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Oh my god , before the internet , I 'd take weekend trips at least once a month covering all of Boston's stores, all the stores in NH , and other times, the ALbany NY Area.... (of course Lark Street was in Albany then too and Drome was huge)

I remember the 1st 4 track I bought back in 1978.. People's Express at 39.00 flights from Burlington, VT to Newark Airport and then it was 5.00 for the bus to Port Authority.. I friggin did that numerous times to just spend the day on W 48th street.... 1 time , spent 1000.00 of my hard -earned LONG SAVED cash on a Tascam 244 and brought it back with me on the bus and then the plane... Sweating scared shitless the whole way... Anyway,brings back memories of the pre-internet days here in Vt

btw , congratulations on finding a fun and nice amp
    ERIC

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

What I find astounding, is that we did not get this kind of feedback (or feedback of any kind) when they first came out in the limited edition.

7. blues revenge

blues revenge Supporting Member

What is so great about it that you like so much more than the LDW? I ask because I was considering getting an LDW or a RSA 23. mind you , I haven't tried any of these, just from what I hear and read. I am in Hawaii and can't try them out here either before I buy, I would just need to order one or buy from someone used.

If anyone else would like to comment about this, pleasw feel free,I am looking for good info.
    Thanks! :BEER

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

You are so right. I even posted a thread asking for opinions before I bought one. Then I posted one of the first reviews. I love this amp, especially with a Les Paul. I'm glad others feel the same. I had the K60 and Connie, both I thought were great amps, but the Concorde is what I hear in my head.

9. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

GAT summed up my feelings- it's the sound I hear in my head. It's all there. No flavor of the month for me- I can tell man, it's a keeper. Does what i've wanted an amp to do since I was a teenager (uh that was awhile ago)...

10. davebc

davebc Member

Yup, my hometown is definitely NOT since Buzz moved to Jersey.
    I keep begging him to come back, and we both have a good chuckle.
    And, of coarse, Drome is an empty shell of it's former self.
    I have gotten some very sweet deals at, of all places, Guitar Center.(don't stone me)

Sorry to get off topic. I'm still very torn between the Komet 60 and the Concord.

11. mlongano

mlongano Member

I've got to agree with all of the comments above except flavor of the month...I've had the Komet 60 for six minths now so that can't be true!!!!

All four of my amps sound great and are very different from eachother, although the Komet 60 and Concorde are close to eachother tonally. While the LDW is a very versatile amp with the half power, effects loop, master volume, etc., it's overdriven tone is nothing like the Komets.

Once you crank up a Komet to about halfway up or better and hit a chord....you'll not get that tone out of your head.

12. hansoloist

hansoloist Supporting Member

I don't doubt this for a second. Funny thing is, if the LDW's overdrive was anything like the K60's or Connie's I wouldn't be interested (they can't do what's in my head). As far as my ears can tell, the Komets and /13s couldn't be further apart in terms of tone--Fred and Ken clearly have a different idea about how an amp should sound. I'll never understand how people can compare these amps as if they are competing for the same sonic territory. It's like saying, "Fresh Maine lobster is great and all, but it just doesn't hold a candle to Kobe beef." And when it comes to amps and food, hansoloist knows his ****. Just an observation.

peace
    -jeff

13. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Very well put. I think the reason for the "amp flavor of the month" phenomenon or buyers selling amp A because amp B is so much better to "their" ears has more to do with individual tastes in tone and very little to do with which amp has a "better" sounding overdrive or clean tone. And tastes evolve and change over time with any player. I've owned Komet 60's and a Constellation and both amps are at the top of the tonal food chain. But I would not trade any of my favorite Divided by 13's for either Komet. They both accel at different things. Just like the RSA vs LDW questions. They are both crazy good amps. And they can each do things the other can't.

Having said that, I have been a Komet fan for a long time and the Concorde clips sound like maybe the best Komet to date so I may pick one up to try at some point. But it won't be because I want something better than anything I already have. It will be because I also dig the Komet flavor and would enjoy that too when that's what I'm in the mood for or what the job calls for. There's times I plug into my Wizard MC and nothing else touches it for the mood I'm in. There's times I plug into my Makoplex and nothing else touches it for that mood or need. And there's times I plug into my Fuchs or Divided by 13's and nothing else touches them for "that mood". But it certainly at doesn't mean any one of them is "better" than the other. It's just different flavors.

I also have often times heard amps being played by other musicians and thought good gawd that tone kills. But I also realized that it would not work for me because I don't play anywhere near the same style as that particular player. There are just so many factors that play into the choice. When I play my LP's I usually plug in and set up completely differently and play a different style than I do if I grab one of my Strats and all together different again if I grab my PRS C22. Thirty some odd years ago when I started playing guitar there weren't many choices and quality was almost always suspect. :eek: The bottom line is at this level of quality and tone (Divided by 13 or Komet or Wizard or Fuchs or ........) they're all fantastic. It's just which ever one fits the particular taste or applications they are being chosen for. I thank God everyday for guys like Fred Taccone and Hogy and Mike from Komet for giving us tonally obsessed OCDer's so many incredible choices to choose from these days!!:dude What a great period in time to be a guitarist!:BEER

Any way, congrats to anyone who is getting or already owns a Concorde! I definitely want to hear one first hand. Unfortunately this will most likely require me buying one since I'm no where close to someplace I could play one until then. :(

14. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

Yep, the "Concorde" /Blinky /KF50 is definitely the Kobe Beef of amps...:drool

15. LP Blues

LP Blues Member

LOL! My wife will agree with you. Mel

16. LP Blues

LP Blues Member

Let me just say this first. They are different amps. That being said. For me the LDW was a little smoother and looser than the Concorde. I liked the aggressive edge of the Concorde Better. I was not convinced that the Concorde had better harmonic clarity etc.. ect... they are both amazing in that sence. I personaly just felt that for the tones I use the most, the Komet Concorde had it over the LDW. That takes nothing away from the LDW though. It was one of the best amps I have ever owned. Fred is a genius. True that mood effects what you want to hear. I can't agree more with that. True they are very different. But I think that if I had to own just one, the Concorde would get it done best for me. If you want I can articulate the differences better over the phone. Just send me your number in a PM. Thanks, Mel

17. Blueser

Blueser Member

Jeff,

I do get your points....Both of them....I actually feel the same way about %13 amps as well. While I think they sound good, I really don't like them for myself, and also often wonder what all the hype is about.

Must be a foo foo LA thing! :AOK :)

Hope married life is treatin' ya good!

Regards,
    DV

18. mprvise

mprvise Member

PLEASE - No more posts about this amp until the end of the year! I'm saving as fast as I can, but if I see many more posts like this one I'm gonig to be forced to whip out the plastic! :worried

19. Blueser

Blueser Member

Yeah....Just love the Connie to death! I really dug the thickness of that little %13 you had at the TF 9/15? That little amp rocked as well.

On the topic of kids.....I suggest you enjoy life for a year or so first! I now have a 3 year old, and a 10 month old, and I have never worked harder in my life! I lovem' with all my heart and soul, but sometimes it seems that we are so @$$hole busy raising our kids, that we lose track of ourselves. I know it will get better as they get older, but it is a ton of work! They are funny as $h!t though!

20. sinner

sinner Member

Can I at least post a pic? I won't say anything about the amp I promise...

[​IMG]