Played a Louis Electric w/KT66's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teleplayer, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I was at Make 'n Music yesterday. They had four brand spankin' new Louis electric amps in the shop, including the massive 2x12 "Bluesbreaker" combo. I actually played through two different 1x12 amps, including one loaded with KT66's.

The amp was really, really nice. Had huge tone for a 1x12 cabinet, and had more low-end than just about any 1x12 I have played through. This amp sang, and was much edgier and more aggressive sounding than the other 1x12 I played that was loaded with EL34's.

I really dug the footswitch concept, However, I am trying to figure out how a 1x12 amp loaded with either 2 EL34's or 2 KT66's is safe running through one Celestion G12H 30 watter.

Anyway, it was a cool experience. Dug the model. Now I have a btter understanding of all the kudos thrown at these amps. If the 2x12 "Bluesbreaker" model wasn't the size of a small condominium, I would have played through that one as well. Just didn't feel like dragging it into a listening room.

By the way, if I counted correctly, Make 'n had eight or ten 65 Amps rigs in the store. It's always fun seeing Teddy, Shane and John.

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

What I can't understand is why we don't have a decent store like that in the NJ/NY/CT area?

I'll be pleased to be proved wrong............

Yes, Louis Electric are one of my favourite amp co's.

Best, Pete.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

And throw in PA for good measure......grrrrr........:mad:

Well, maybe my wallet is safer that way............:D

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thing is, Riff, that this is the biggest market alongside LA.
    Now, I will never buy an amp without trying - no matter what everyone else says (Someone else can give me amps, however.....).

There's plenty of real estate left in NJ connected within minutes to major road arteries connecting all over the area.

Don't say Ultrasound - with all due respect to those good guys I'm sick of the hassle of driving and parking in Manhattan.

Best, Pete.

5. Teleplayer

True Dat Pete.

I would never plop down 2,000+ bones on anything I could not first see/hear/touch, etc. unless I was intimately familiar with the builder. Luckily in the Chicago area, we have access to 3-4 great stores that cover nearly every guitar and amp base conceivable.

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

TP
    Interesting that Chicago is so blessed! Good for you guys, though.

Best, Pete.

7. Teleplayer

Pete:

I think TGP Chicago contingent considers itself lucky to have access to stores like Make 'n Music, The Music Gallery, Chicago Music Exchange, Flynn.....and there's also a vintage shop north on Lincoln Avenue (name slips my mind) that is now a /13 dealer. Plus, we have some pretty cool builders around here like Schroeder Guitars, Pete Wilson Guitars, Victoria Amps, Auralux, etc. Of course, Hamer, Dean and Washburn were all here "back in the day" too. Terry McInturff got his start here as well.

When I read what most people go through with their music store experiences, we are truly lucky. And the ones mentioned above are just what I recall off the very top of my head. I am sure if others chime in, many more companies, shops and individual builders will pop up as Chicago-based.

8. Silverboy

Silverboy Member

I have a louis electric KR12 with KT 66s that I bought a month ago, and it kills! My best amp, and I've got about 15 boutiques and vintage...(and have at one time or another owned at least 70 or 80)

Thing is, it's a phenomenal clean sound, and killing low-gain overdrive, and high-gain all in one package. Terrific low end for a 1x12 and just, well, no bad frequencies.

A friend of mine who plays guitar in Delbert McClinton's band stopped by to check it out and agreed, it's the best amp I own (And I own a 65 London, Voxer, Goodsell, BFDR, BFSR, BFP, tweed deluxe, two Dr. Zs, original Marshall PA20, you get the drift). The others are all great, but this one just does what i want it to better than the others...(BTW, the Delbert guy is Rob McNelley, and he just released a new album that smokes! His site is robmcnelley.com. There are clips, but no clips of the new album yet. His music is highly recommended. Sly and the Family Stone meets Shuggie Otis, with a little Steely Dan thrown in)

9. Bruce

Bruce Member

I have a Louis Electric Bluesbreaker and it is the best amp I own. I liked it so much that Lou is building me a 58 Twinmaster (the same amp he built for Danny Gatton.) sight unseen. I've played through the Hubert Sumlin and Keith Richards amps as well at GoGo Guitars in Long Beach, CA and all the amps are just killer. That's why I had no qualms about buying a 58 Twinmaster sight unseen. More people need to know about Louis Electric. Once you hear one you say, "Is this the best amp I've ever heard?" and then everyone who hears it agrees. GoGo is owned by two really great guys and anyone who is in the Los Angeles or Orange Country area should drive there and check them out. They have a sound booth that you can take the amps into and listen to every nuance without having to worry about background noise like at Guitar Center.

10. Teleplayer

Thsat may have been the amp I played. The cats at Make 'n Music thought I owuld like the EL34 1x12 better. But I love KT66's; and the KT66 amp was more aggressive and "edgy" sounding.

11. Teleplayer

Bruce - what does your Bluesbreaker weigh? It's a huge amp (as were the originals), but didn't really feel overly heavy.

12. GoGoGuitars

GoGoGuitars Member

Lou's amps are, in my opinion, the best amps made today. His Bluesbreaker is THE best amp I ever heard. I haven't played one that dosen't sound good. I am a retailer for Louis Electric Amps and the responce from people who haven't even heard of them is increddible. I had a Bluesbreaker in a few weeks ago and it sold in about 45 minutes. That is a true testomonial to how good they are.

Thanx Bruce!

13. GoGoGuitars

GoGoGuitars Member

The Louis BluesBreaker is actually lighter than it looks. They weigh about 68 pounds and worth every ounce of it!

14. larrylover

larrylover Member

teleplayer,

I am a Chicago guy too. I would offer some corrections and additions:

(1) you forgot Guitar Works in Evanston. They sell electric and amps, but really shine with acoustic instruments from flattops, to archtops, to mandos to dobros. Tremendous repair work too.

(2) Peterson Strobe tuners is IL too.

(3) +1 Tim Schroder. He is a wizard with amp and guitar repair. He is currently making an 18 watt amp for me. I recently got his clean boost/distortion pedal with a frequency sweep feature to it that is extremely musical in a number of ways.

(4) I disagree about Flynn. Rude, unhelpful and surpirsingly unknowledgeable in my experience after having given them a number of tries over the years.

Thanks for the heads up about Louis Electrics at Maken. While I have an amp already on the way, maybe a Louis will prove to be needed . . .

15. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Tim Schroeder was very helpful for me when an amp went down at the TF at Maken Music.
    I think the Louis Electric at MM w/KT 66's is an M-12. The small combo one with El34's is a new one called a Ferrarri. People have strong preferences of one over the other. I would say that the KT66 one is more open, airy, the El34 one more "punchy". His stuff sounds good when played in a room, but sounds best to me at band volumes. Guess that could be said of a lot of amps.
    The "Bluesbreaker +" (i don't think lou has figured out a name for it) is a lot of fun. It's like a BB, but with a MV, and his high gain outputs in what would be the "bright" channel of the BB amp, and the footswitchable boost. Having said that, i'm more into his "American" designs, the more primitive the better.
    I think that putting too much stock into the names of his amps would be a mistake. I asked him what amp i had and he said ,
    " oh it's a Gatton chassis in a Swing King cab, but with a smaller transformer, oh and try this, snip out that cap there, don't know why i ever did that, but if you want a more open sound then have a floating baffle, etc."
    You get the idea. He listens, has good ears, and spends more time making an amp sound right than slavishly following a schematic. I know that people want to know what the hell they're playing, as opposed to
    " that combo thing with the black tolex"
    but there you are.
    He builds a very nice amp, and doesn't seem in the slightest bit burnt out, and is continuing to improve his amps.
    Having said that, i get uncomfortable when people say that he is building the best amps out there. How bout one of the best amps out there? His amps certainly have a theme and personality to them.

16. BarryW

BarryW Member

and don't forget Accutronics, they've been around for years. Presently in Cary, just near me.

And Guitar Works in Evanston - I've known Terry (owner) since the early 70s when he worked at Sound Post, he's the best there is anywhere, period.

17. ahab

ahab Member

Hey Tele,
    Sounds like a good day at Maken. The name of the shop on Lincoln Ave is RocknRoll Vintage. Nice group in there, and they, like Makenmusic, have a great selection of effects as well as some great guitars and amps.

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

Wow, another thread back from the dead!
    Since then I've met Lou a couple of times, cool guy and a typical brash New Jerseyite.......

Best, Pete.

19. chenette

chenette Supporting Member

Anyone play the HS 12? How does it compare to the KR12?
    Can someone describe the differences in sound.

20. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

We miss Juniors Music in CT.