Played a new AC30 CC 2x12 next to an AC30tbx today-Values?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cap217, Feb 28, 2012.

1. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

I have always heard about the TB or TBX models but never saw one. Sam Ash had one today so I thought I would try it out. It was amazing, especially compared to the CC model w Greenbacks.

I own a Don Butler modded AC30CC head and it is a great amp but I think the TB model comes very close and is better in a few ways. It is very hard to compare heads and combos though.

Anyways, what is a fair price on a TB model? This one was not in great shape, seemed a bit noisy, and it had Weber Blues in it. Not sure if it was a TBX or TB (if that matters). They wanted $1,000 for it. It sounded great and vintage and full. But I dont know if it is worth that.

2. Griz

Griz Member

The TB and TBX amps are the same except for the speakers. The TB's came stock with Vox-labeled G12M25's and the TBX's were equipped with Vox-labeled Alnico Blues - a $500 upcharge at the time of manufacture.

Great amp either way.

:aok

3. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

the old Custom Classics came with chinese blues or wharfdales.
    the new "Custom" amps come with greenbacks. ...or blues

4. GA20T

GA20T Member

^ This. Are you sure it wasn't an AC30C2 (comes with Greenbacks), as opposed to the older AC30CC2?

5. Griz

Griz Member

The AC30/6TB and TBX amps don't have master volume or reverb. They're essentially a PC board version of the mid 60's amp, circuit-wise. Six inputs, arranged all together in 3 pairs. They do feature a standby switch, though, unlike the originals.

The control panel layout is also the same as on the old amps.
    http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac30tbx_manual_p2.html

The Heritage HW, CC and other more recent Vox amps have a different control layout.

$1000.00 USD for a Korg/Marshall UK manufactured AC30/6TB (with Greenbacks) in good to excellent condition is toward the high side of what you should expect to pay. It will sell at that price, but you should see what sort of deal you can get. The TBX version in good condition and with its original UK manufactured, Vox labeled Celestion Blues would command that sort of price easily because the amp cost substantially more in the first place.

That said, I would pay $1000 for one in good condition if mine was ever lost/stolen.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. bognermatchless

bognermatchless Member

1000 is a fantastic price if it's in good working condition and isn't beating to death with multiple huge dings and rips.

GREAT price.