Played a real '59 Tele on the gig Saturday.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mprvise, Jun 19, 2006.

1. mprvise

mprvise Member

A local promoter loaned the guitar to the band I'm in for the night. I ended up using it for the entire third set. Whoa! I have never been much for the vintage vibe and all that, but this thing was a PLAYER. Vibe? Oh yeah, it had that in spades. The thing looked like ass, but man did it sound good. Now I want one, but my finances say :nono . :worried

2. BNB

BNB Silver Supporting Member

Very cool! Wish I owned one!!!

3. Jokald

Jokald Member

You mean "Looked like cash." Ass is the new cash

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

It's been a LONG time since I had my hands on a 50s or 60s Fender or Gibson. I'd love the experience at least. If I ever win the lottery, vintage is where I am headed. But It'd have to be one of those huge amounts before I'd consider $300k or more for a real 59 LP. But you never know... ;)

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Its a shame that most of this stuff is hoarded and put away never to be used by real players........people that can really appriciate what it is. Vintage guitars have now completely in a new realm. 10 yrs ago 70's guitars were aplenty and You could score a nice re finished pre CBS Fender in the $2500 catagory. I remember being offered a Mint 58 strat for around $5000 in the early 90's. Now!? Fuggit about it. Completely out of reach forever with no end in sight. [​IMG]

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

I am old enough to remember when they were just "old guitars" and sold for $100 or so used. Of course back then $100 was like $500 now, but still!

7. B3Nut

B3Nut Member

I hate seeing good vintage instruments locked away never to be played. Even if it's just at home or in the studio, a good vintage axe needs to be played. I wouldn't take a minty '59 Strat to a bar gig (or even a beater unless I chained myself to it LOL) but I'd record with it and maybe play an odd Sunday at church with it. These things were made to make music, not sit in a vault.

8. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I have a good friend who buys and sells vintage gear. He calls me whenever he gets a particularly cool old guitar. I have played the most amazing Les Pauls, ES335's (which I normally dont like much, but LOVE his) Strats and Teles. All through early 60's Fender amps.. its pure JOY!

There really is something to these old guitars, its magical.:RoCkIn

9. HHB

HHB Member

I gig my 58 LPJr all the time, borrowed a 57 LP custom, a 62 strat, 66 tele in the past, makes you feel like Keef or somebody LOL