Played a Red Plate TweedyVerb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soggybottomboy, Mar 10, 2015.

1. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

I had my guitar plekked and was offered the chance to try it out in an insulated amp room at the shop.

There was a Fender DRRI next to a Tweedy Verb so I got to try them both side by side.

I can say with confidence that darn thing was literally the best sounding tube amp I've ever heard. Holy mackrel. If you didn't see how small it was, you'd think it had 10 speakers pointing in all directions. I tried out the blackface setting with my tele and had classic pure bright jazzy goodness. Played an A major 7 at the 5th and let that thing ring -- wow.

I cranked the voice knob over to Tweed and started sound double stops on the tele bridge, I was trying to see how much dirt I'd get out of it. Wow -- this thing is just resonant and wonderful

I was truly blown away -- and fricken tiny too.

I plugged into the DRRI right next to it and while it delivered everything you'd possibly ask for in an amp, I just don't think there's a comparison. Red Plate is fricken' ridiculous. Seriously.

Anyway, I may have to buy one -- that thing is off the charts.

One thing I noticed though, was the amp had a fair bit of ambient noise and each "bell & whistle" such as more gain, more verb, more presence, etc really bumped up the ambient noise. It's possible that I just am picky now given I play a Quilter at home and it's dead silent.

Fascinating stuff -- great times.

[​IMG]

2. tomc3084

tomc3084 Member

Redplate amp are amazing, hope to have one someday. Henry is a great guy, the type of guy you love to support. Unlike some other unmentioned Boutique builders.

3. nospickups

nospickups Silver Supporting Member

Great builder, and incredible amps. The noise was prob just a noisy preamp tube, the two redplates I had were quite as can be.

4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

this is fishy, i mean, this is tgp and you know what an A major 7 chord is?

I smell fraud!

:) :D

and the other one is playing in a band?

Lies.

:D

Just K

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    nichd likes this.
  5. Ogre

Ogre Member

Still enjoying my RedPlate BlackVerb. It more than keeps up with the 8 piece band I play in. Call Henry. He loves to talk tone, and he knows what's what.

6. Iceman63

Iceman63 Member

I'm trying to sell a couple guitars so I can pick up a Magica...I want one so badly!

macmax77 likes this.
  7. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

you are not alone my friend!

8. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Yep, I'm an RP40 owner (great amp) and want to add a Magica. Debating head/cab or 1/12 combo.

I was also considering the TweedyVerb, Blues Machine 66, or Magica when I bought the RP40. Can't own them all...

9. mrwhipple

mrwhipple Supporting Member

Something must have been up with that amp, my BluesMachine is dead quiet.

10. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

Redplate has come along way since this one was made.

You missed the Astro Dust Duo, Blackverb and Blackverb Duo (my model) and now the RP models. The "BlackLine" looks great in a tidy package.

Usually you can find them on the amp emporium here, or you could buy a new one from Henry.

11. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

How about an A13b9+ ? The plus for the augmented 5th.

I have a theory about music theory. It's very useful.

12. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

If I had to replace my Blackverb, it would be either another Blackverb, an RP40 a Blues Machine, or a Tweedyverb. For me, simpler allows me to focus on my playing, which is challenging enough.

... Thom

13. Ramblin Hymns

Ramblin Hymns Member

That BM66 is a hard amp to beat. It is very versatile. I go all the way from Americana to rock without much of a change. I really like that amp. Henry has amps for about all occasions and this is a winner. I have 4 RP amps and I love them all and they all have something to add that makes them all their own.

NamaEnsou, glazed67 and mrwhipple like this.
  14. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I've sold a lot of equipment over the years. JCM 800, vintage Tele's, Orange, Budda....one of the few things I regret selling was my Blackverb. I had a tone dialed in on the blackface channel was the greatest clean tone I've ever heard. It was like an pushed old blackface with this clean bite....man it was goosebump tone. I ended up getting a Zwreck, which is also just an incredible amp...but I should have figured out a way to keep them both.

15. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I'm very intrigued by Redplate but don't understand all the models and how they differ.

16. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Diminished 9th! Diminish the chord!

17. galibier_un

This may be the biggest problem for Redplate. All of the gear heads here on TGP love the proliferation of choices, but I think there's a better way to accomplish this without confusing first time site visitor.

In past years, it was much more confusing. When you needed a spreadsheet to figure out the models, you either need to reorganize your site, or rethink your model lineup.

He'll get there, and they're mighty fine products.

Give Henry a call, and he'll walk you down off the ledge.

...Thom

NamaEnsou likes this.
  18. ToneSeeker1969

ToneSeeker1969 Member

Redplate makes fantastic sounding amps for sure, but speaking as someone who has been researching them for months, I find that it is difficult to find videos (aside from Lance Keltner) of someone actually rocking out riffs on the OD channels, instead of soloing the whole demo. The cleans are AWESOME, but I haven't heard enough of the OD in the context I described, to pull the trigger. Also checking out Two Rock.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  19. dude9478

dude9478 Member

Yep, I've got a redplate Aurora 34. It is so so good. The Marshall drive dominates, and the blackface/tweed cleans on it are amazing. Made me a much better player.

20. galibier_un

That's an excellent point. The quickness and articulate behavior - even on the tweed settings - makes you aware of sloppy habits.

Cheers,
    Thom