Played a Sweetwood Comet, now full of painful GAS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rosette, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Rosette

Rosette Member

I was at the Los Angeles pedal expo today to check out a few stomp boxes and stopped ino the sweetwood room on a whim - seeing that they had a flashback 4 on their board (and wanting to play it).

What happened next, I did not expect. I picked up a sweetwood " comet" guitar and had one of those magic moments where an instrument just speaks to you - three times in a row!

As mainly a les player i'm always looking for a more ergonomic, lighter guitar with better upper fret access (to get around that awful neck joint) that still retains the full sound I like. These guitars (which he told me are the base model) had the most comfortable necks I've ever played in my life. Perfectly fat around the top that slimmed down to a very comfortable neck heel. The wolftone pickups scream, and clean up nicely and retain an ultra fat les paul sound. I could do everything from a great round jazz tone, to a bonamassa honk and everywhere in between.

The only downside to the guitars would be:

Headstock is a bit shaped like a garden trowel, but who cares? In a way I appreciate the originality of the comets design - it pays homage to other styles but is visually its own thing and still pleasing.

I could have closed my eyes and thrown a dart in that room and picked my new #1 guitar. If my wife wouldn't have killed me I would have bought at least one on the spot.

Oh, and I never did play a single note on the flashback four - I was too busy playing the guitars!

If you have a chance check them out - I'm going to start saving my pennies now...

2. Rosette

Rosette Member

Anybody out there rocking one?

I'd love to hear someone's thoughts after owning one for a bit.

3. Tonic Amps

Tonic Amps Member

I have a Comet and a Sweet T and they are what I play most these days. And I have a few vintage pieces that are nice.

4. h311raz3r

h311raz3r Member

I own a Sweetwood Leopard and soon a Custom Sweet T...right Glenn ;)

Excellent woods and necks...all around nice guitars.

Hoping more people get a chance to play them, because once you do you'll want one.

T

5. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I am a Comet owner... I have more than one. I have redwood & walnut versions, and Glenn has let me fool around with a maple top too...

In many ways the Comet covers the ground you mention.. It's got the Les Paul body size in a lean ergonomic design, with full neck access and a comfortable manageable weight...

Glenn will work with you to pick the woods, neck profiles, pick-ups, and details. Pick the wood and pickups-- and it can sound just the way you want it..

Here's an old thread with details and photos on my walnut Comet: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=718535&highlight=sweetwood

6. vmeyer

vmeyer Supporting Member

I had Glenn build a Comet Surftop this past winter...my retirement gift to myself...named it for my wife...I cannot say enough about the git...it is very, very special. Gorgeous woods, very fine Jimmy Wallace PAF's, perfect nitro finish, spectacular workmanship, excellent detail work...never ever experienced fretwork like Glenn's...I could go on forever. Glenn was an absolute gem to work with...kept me informed, suggested options, tried a bunch of pups to find a match...great guy.
    The guitar and experience of the build were beyond my expectation. Playability is superb, Tone is sweet...especially with the
    string through Hipshot bridge. Wallace pups split beautifully....the git is very versatile. (You can tell I love this baby!}

Thanks so much Glenn!

Here is a link to the photo of my Comet, "Diane Lynette"...scroll down to the gallery for pix....they tell the story:

http://sweetwoodguitars.com/comet.cfm

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  7. Rosette

Rosette Member

Man those are gorgeous guitars! That walnut top is right up my alley.

I know he offers a variety of finish options - did you do the simtec, nitro or oil on your comets?

8. vmeyer

vmeyer Supporting Member

Nitro on mine.

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

They are really sweet looking (slight pun intended) guitars.

Love the 'Surf Top' model!

10. jaybeaux

jaybeaux Member

I own 2 Comets (Sabrina and Judith). The second one was custom built for my 46th birthday. It's featured in the Sweetwood gallery (http://sweetwoodguitars.com/gallery.cfm). I own about 30 guitars including modern and vintage LP's, PRS, and a couple of Andersons. My Comet is far and away my favorite guitar to play and the tone completely crushes almost anything. Glenn's craftsmanship and innovation is just tough to match.

11. Rosette

Rosette Member

Ahhh so you're the fella with my dream guitar ;) - (I'm going to spec mine out to be fairly similar).

Tell me about that cool bridge - and did you do nitro or simtec?

12. vmeyer

vmeyer Supporting Member

Glenn's quality, workmanship and personal touch during the build is pretty damn special. I can't believe all the BS about Gibsons...when you could have a new, "custom" Sweetwood that comes in at a favorable price...just the way you want it! Get the tone without the backache...especially for you old farts! (By the way...I am not a schill.)