Played a Trainwreck Liverpool and a Snider amp.....wow.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mikecee, Jan 17, 2006.

1. mikecee

mikecee Member

Yesterday when I was buying some NOS tubes for my Swart AST amp at Hi Test Guitars http://www.hitestguitars.com/, I had an opportunity to play a Trainwreck Liverpool through a vintage VOX 2 x 12 cabinet. The tone was incredible and the sound was huge. I tend to play smaller amps and the power and sensitivity of the Trainwreck was superb.

Having been blown away by that rare Trainwreck, I was not prepared for the sound explosion from the Snider New Jersey. Gregg told me the Snider was inspired by the Trainwreck but they house it in a closed back 1 x 12 combo. I think it was a 30 watt switchable to 18 watt tone monster. Again, I was very impressed and taken back by the amout of sound this amp produced. I have an AC30 but this thing was just on a different level sonically - not better just so explosive.

Now I understand why there is such a following for the Trainwreck amps and anyone who is interested in something that owes more than a passing nod to that lineage would be well served to check out one of these Snider amps.

Anyone else play one of these???

Mike

2. alainguitars

alainguitars Member

We're on the phone for an hour last night and you don't mention this?

3. mikecee

mikecee Member

I know I know, I was so happy about the Swart I forgot that I played a Trainwreck Liverpool through a real '52 blackguard. I should stress that if I wanted a hi gain amp, I would probably buy a Snider. The thing is a work of art and is built like a tank. Comes with all NOS tubes voiced to the amp.

My friend is an amp whore and he has gone through a Two Rock, Guytron, Aitken, Anderson, 2 Fuchs, a Fargen, tried to get a Skystrip and some clandestine Dumble OD clone wuth a Dumblelator as well. They are all great amps but none of those new amps blew me away like the Snider. It was just all there is a good looking package. Even though it is a combo it is really more like a head mated to a cabinet.

What is amazing is the amount of sound that thing produced with a single 12 inch Celestion.

If my Swart 1 x 12 was a jack russell, the Snider was a doberman on steroids. That's okay, my wife is only 5 feet tall!!! :p

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I had a Two Rock Ruby........same general idea as a Trainwreck......the tone gushes out like a firehose!!!!!

5. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

mikecee . . .e-mail to mikecee @ snideramps..com?

;)

6. mikecee

mikecee Member

pfflam:

does seem like it right??? well the proof is that I was talking to Alain last night and I forgot all about mentioning the Snider. I was really amazed at what a 1 x 12 could do and the Snider just caught me off guard.

but my real email should read mikecee@swartamps.com !!!!!! ;-)

7. highgeer

highgeer Member

The New Jersey is definitely a special amp. Who knew that you can play any gig with one guitar and a 1x12 combo. Gregg did a great job with this amp.

Mike

8. KLB

KLB Member

The NOS Valvo EL84 tubes used in the Snider amps are the Boss Hog of EL84 tubes. Put those in many other EL-84 amps and you'll be impressed. Not saying that the rest of the Snider amp isn't top notch, but those tubes are a big part of the equation.

9. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

Snider New Jersey is one of my major GAS amps. Never seem to come up used, though. Waiting......

10. qyetyme

qyetyme Member

I have a New Jersey, and love it, but have been thinking about selling it to fund a non-guitar related purchase. I don't want to post since I'm unsure, but if anyone is interested, email me at ericbsherman@comcast.net. I've been on here for a while. Mine got some cosmetic upgrades, and I do have a couple of pics.

-eric

11. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Maniac Silver Supporting Member

As you stated, the tubes in the New Jersey are a major component of its sound. but they are E84L's not EL84's.

12. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Not sure I follow, What's the difference. Isn't an el-84l just a derivation of an El-84....like a 6L6gC and a 6l6gb, wg etc....

13. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Maniac Silver Supporting Member

I owned a New Jersey and spoke to Greg about the tubes and what the differences were.
    Read the features section and it describes the differences and why the E84L was chosen over the EL84.
    http://www.hitestguitars.com/

14. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

So, if I am to believe what the site say about EL84L's

"but the E84L is like having two EL84's in one bottle and its significantly higher output"

then if I snagged a pair and put them in my Metropolis would it be even more "too loud for a 15 watter" than it is now?

Sorry to digress.

15. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Yes, and I have some prime beach property in Florida for sale. :rolleyes:

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Greg is a good guy and his knowledge of tubes boarders on insane!
    I just bought some Siemens EL-34's from him as well as a Mazda 12AX7, both are fantastic.

I met him and played his amp at an ampfest that HeeBGB hosted a few weeks ago. That Snyder amp was a monster, a VERY big sounding 1X12 combo and the absolute best sound I have ever heard from a Vintage 30, cause I hate those damn speakers, but they tuned that amp perfectly.
    It ain't cheap but if it floats your boat it will make you happy for a long time. Just the fact that you will not have to re-tube it for 10 years or so is appealing.

17. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

No, because the circuit of the Metropolis is not built around the E84L tubes. You might be able to run your plate voltages higher by substituting a 5U4 or GZ34 in place of a 5Y3 rectifier (not sure what the Bogner uses), but you should check with the manufacturer before trying to do so.