Played a VHT Deliverance today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cobrakai, Nov 18, 2005.

1. cobrakai

cobrakai Member

Hey,
    I played a VHT Deliverance today, it was PFC for a high gain amp, which typically isn't my thing. This amp however was literally milkshake thick, good God! I think that had something to do with the 4xKT88 poweramp section, wow!
    So, are these amps PTP handwired or PCB? A search of the forum section didn't provide anything definitive.
    If they are PCB, is there another amp company providing something similiar in a PTP package? Also, I guess I don't actually need 120 Watts, so that is something to consider as well...
    Thanks!
    Mike

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I have one in the 60-watt version... it's awesome.

They are PCB, but can't for the life of me figure out why you would want a PTP Deliverance-a-like. It won't be better.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

60 watter will be on the way to me soooooooooooooon.......

:D

4. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I played the 60 watt version today. In addition to being a thick and aggressive amp, it is the loudest 60 watts I've every heard in my life, and I had it next to 100 watters. All in all, a very cool amp. This thing is great for a heavy or modern rock sound. The kt88s are wild looking. VHT makes good stuff.

5. matte

matte Senior Member

Steve makes exceptional air sculpting tools. I've owned every amp in his range with the notable exception of the preamp. Each amplifier in the VHT line addresses specific musical issues with stunning authority. I'm plugged into my UL as I type this post. If my Express sounded anything like the Deliverance, I'd still own it today. In fact, I started selling off my Trainwrecks off when I got my first VHT, back in the early "90s.

6. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

There is no amp that sounds like a VHT, so you won't find a similar voicing.
    And the PCB and PTP thing just makes me laugh...:D
    I own many many VHT's, and they seriously kick ass as far as tone, flexability, and build quality.
    I just got the D120H a few weeks ago, and it has more tones than you could imagine. From beautiful sparkling cleans, fat warm mid gains, and over the top heavy if needed.
    Not one has ever let me down.
    I just bought a second UL last week cause it kicks so much booty...
    Here's some of my VHT stuff...
    [​IMG]

7. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

8. cobrakai

cobrakai Member

Hey,
    Seriously, thank you to all who took the time to reply...I hope that I didn't offend anyone. My only trepidation regarding PCB comes from ample warning from others regarding it's longevity. Really though, PCB is not THAT old of a technology and i'm sure that much of that may be congecture. Hell, my Apple Two is still alive and kicking (though not in use right now!)! Anyway, thank you again.
    -Mike

9. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

The builders mentioned all use top quality boards and components...
    I doubt there are any longevity issues.
    They are built to last....
    Steve

10. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

A one pickup guitar through a one channel amp connected with a cord..... Brillliant :dude

[​IMG]

This is a mean amp and a very sweet amp all in one.....does a ton of different things.

Steve E

11. pluto

pluto Member

Steve, I didn't know you picked up a deliverance. Describe the tone in more detail please!

12. slide man

slide man Member

Are any of the VHT amps good for blues rock, classic rock sounds? My tone is typically a cranked vintage Marshall, or fender with a pedal. These amps seem to be such a value, but I have talked myself out of buying one because I am not really a modern rock player.

Slideman

13. matte

matte Senior Member

Check out the PB 45 or Super 30. The Deliverance will give you all that you're looking for (and more) as well, with more girth.

14. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

15. * velcro-fly *

Hey Mark !

Actuallly just back got from Jason Wallis's after my first real chance to open this thing up at some gig level volume....this is one mean mother of an amp. Had Jasons Cameron in the same room - it's truly a toss up which I liked best. The Deliverance easily does alot of the same things as the Cameron - probably cleans up a bit to quite a bit better with the volume knob. It's got some real Marshally flavors in there along with it's own thig, the "Less / More" switches that tweak the gain stages are super useable and really help with the shaping of tones...This is far and away the best VHT tones I've ever experienced.

Mark - I think you would really like this amp. It's got some serious girth to it if you want it. One thing though, it does have that edge that VHT's are known for, but in this amp it's not a bad thing (not that it's bad in the other VHT's...) and certainly adds to its character. This is a players amp and tone tool...wildly versatile for a one channnel / no loop head...

Jason put it really well: He was floored by the amp, but thought that it was a bit more modern sounding and didn't have the greasy aspect the older Marshalls have if that makes sense ? I would tend to agree - but think it has more to do with the KT88 power tubes vs. EL34's. When this thing hits it's sweet spot around 10:00 on the master volume watch out - super tight defined crunch but very musical.

I should note that it sounds insane with what has become my all time favorite guitar - my gold top Anderson Cobra.

Again, after two weeks of low volume playing with an infant in the house, this was a real eye and ear opener. Killer amp :dude

Steve E

16. johnc

johnc Member

Can you elaborate on why you prefer the 120 over the 60?

I'm guessing that if you dialed in both amps at the same volume that you are hearing something in terms of the tone of the 120 amp that you like better.

For an individual that really doesn't play that loud that often, would you still recommend that they check out the 120?

Perhaps the desire to be louder is not the only reason to look at the 120 in comparison to the 60.

If anyone else has played both versions of these two amps, feel free to share your thoughts.

Thanks.

John

17. pluto

pluto Member

Thanks Steve for the report. I just listened to the clips on the VHT site for the first time, and I was blown away by its versatility and tone. Splatt's and Matte's (and Brian K's) clips are sweet. To be honest, I've never been a VHT fan (played a CL, UL, and GP3 preamp which I did not like)-but the deliverance clips sound really awesome.

18. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Those are insane through a lot of amps.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled amp programming.

19. * velcro-fly *

Yeah.....Anderson Cobra through pretty much anything = unfair advantage....

You should hear it through what showed up today :eek: :dude

We'll save that for another thread.....:D

Steve E

20. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Oh I dunno. I've heard my Cobras through just about everything I have. Guitar looks like some fancy furniture and then you plug in and AHEM.