Played a Vox AC15 Handwired today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by duaneallen, Dec 18, 2009.

1. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

Wow this thing really sounded great! Really fat sounding compared to the CC version. Amazing clean headroom and had the perfect Vox spank. I also compared it to a Night Train and couldn't believe how close the NT came to it in sound. The cleans were very similar, the Heritage sounded a bit fatter, but it was really close. Of course, the NT has the master volume for gain. Its funny because I had a NT, and really liked it, but sold it because something else came up that I had to have. Was gonna get a NT again, then played the Heritage 15, then the NT, then the Heritage... Maybe I should just get the NT again.... Anyone else compare these two amps?

2. eberg15101

eberg15101 Member

I have the 30 watt head, I love it, I have not played a night train, but I have seen them and know they are not made nearly as well, and they may be very good for the price, but honestly I don't know how they could actually stand up to the handwired series... also you have to crank that sucker, the break up is amazing, its pretty loud, but I think your ears can handle it ;)
    it has a lot more gain on tap than you think

3. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Yeah I have one and it's pretty amazing!

Even cranked all the way down, I've never heard a clean note sustain forever as if it were overdriven to the moon and back! These must be punching out 20+ watts or better overdriven. :YinYang

4. eberg15101

eberg15101 Member

oh yes... at least, very loud louds, and I emphasize LOUD :stir

5. tubetwang

tubetwang Member

Buddy Miller kicked my ass on one of those recently...:knitting

6. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Great sounding amp! I wish they would make these in the classic black tolex / diamond grillcloth. I'm not a fan of the TV cosmetics.

7. Griz

Griz Member

This amp is on my Want list for sure. Love the EF86 channel, especially.