1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Played a Vox AC30CC and Bassman LTD today...Wow!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I have never played a vintage AC-30 or a vintage Bassman so I don't know if either amps sound like their vintage ancestors.

But, both are excellent sounding amps. If you want a vintage type Marshall tone in a relatively light weight, not too big package, the Bassman does it in spades. It has to be pretty loud to do it, but it's there. I was using an SG Standard and it just killed through the amp. A huge chunky low end. I was playing everything from classic rock to punk rock power chord type stuff. It was great.

The Vox was great also. There wasn't much of a volume difference between the two amps. It has nice cleans and great overdrive.

Hard to say which I liked better, but you couldn't go wrong with either amp for a classic rock machine.

2. shuffle

shuffle Member

I played a reissue 59 bassman and found it very tiny. I didnt get to crank it, but i drove it enough to hear 'its' sound. I used a strat.

I tried the AC30cc2x and loved it straight away so i bought it and now play it as my main amp. Great sounding amp.

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

:AOK :AOK :AOK :AOK :AOK
    :BEER

4. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

No love for the Bassman? I know there is plenty for the Vox?

5. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

Bassmans are great, haven't played an LTD yet though. I did play a AC30 CC1 today, and really liked it, I liked the 15 as well. Also tried that new Gibson RVT20, and it is awesome as well. So many amps, so little money...

6. JDJ

JDJ Supporting Member

Yeah, last month I picked up the Vox and liked it a lot. Then I took it back and picked up a Bassman LTD. That was the ONE! But then I took it back and ordered a Clark Piedmont with on-board reverb and attenuator. That's gonna be the cat's meow, I'm betting! But a used BM LTD is got to be one of the best bang-for-the-buck deals going. I saw one go for about $636 on eBay last night. A steal!

7. Ogre

Ogre Member

I retired my narrow panel tweed Pro, and replaced it with a new Fender Bassman LTD. The only upgrade I did was a Mercury Magnetics output tranny and choke. I think it sounds great clean or blazing!

8. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

I love the Bassman LTD. I play the reliced & "new looking" versions at the local GC all the time. Serious man-love for this amp. If I had a need for more juice, I'd have one.

9. robbert

robbert Member

Has anybody run the ac30 & bassman in stereo at the same time? :drool

10. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I've read somewhere that Rory Gallagher used a bassman and ac30 for his tone.

11. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I have a decent collection of vintage amps, Marshall, and Fender. I picked up a Bassman ltd a while ago, and it is hands down the best production amp that Fender has made in my lifetime. It may not sound exactly like a vintage bassman, but no two amps do anyway.

This amp very well may be my favorite, honeymoon aside, its a keeper.:dude

12. smallcrap

smallcrap Member

+1 for the AC30CC2X

Wow, I've been wanting to try one for awhile and my local GC just got these in. They didn't have the non-Blue CC2 unpacked so I couldn't compare the two. I wish I hadn't played the CC2X first....

The guy there hooked me up in a closed room in the back so I could turn up. I grabbed the first American Tele I saw and I'll tell you I am VERY impressed. The guy set up the amp so I could blend the channels. I didn't care about the verb or Trem, I just wanted to hear it do its thing. It sounded great to me just moving the blend knob I was able to get a nice range of clean to dirty. Great sounding amp.

13. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I want that Bassman in the emporium... :D

14. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

they're both FANTASTIC amps. mass produced amps are getting really good. now there are really good amps for people who can't afford vintage or 'boutique'. thumbs up to fender and vox!