Played an OCD for the first time yesterday

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by p.snail, Jun 27, 2006.

1. p.snail

p.snail Member

Holy S**T. Now I'm GASsing hard for one. I had no idea that it was a high gain pedal. I assumed it was more of a blues OD. Most of the sound samples I've heard were either set for lower gain or run into the front of an already juiced up amp. I ran it straight in to a Vox AC30CC2 with a Tyler strat of some kind. It absolutely slammed. Now what can I part with?

2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I agree bout the high gain for the ocd though some people feel its more of a medium gain pedal. You can certainly use it in a clean amp and get into marshall territory. The amount of gain some people use IMO is overkill. I mean if you are playing bedroom vol you can get away with it but if you are playing fairly loud with a high wattage amp I can't see how the end result would be anything less then mushy notes, feedback, squealing, etc... I guess if you like that then it will work for ya.

3. Oggy

Oggy Member

I've heard nothing but good things. I'm probably a few months (maybe the rest of the year given my latest GAS rage) to buying one, but it is definitely on my list of "would like".

My question would be, I already have a TS-9 and a FullDrive 2. Would an OCD really expand my Overdrive capabilities?

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Thats a big yes, wait till you hear the OCD next to your other pedals they will sound muffled!

5. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

The OCD will never sound like a Tubescreamer type pedal so it will always give you something different if those are the kinds of pedals you are using.

6. Ganderson

Ganderson Member

7. derek2615

derek2615 Member

I have not used my FD2 since the OCD went on my board. If I replace that FD2 with a Timmy then I just might have room for that Mojo Vibe I've been wanting... :rolleyes:

8. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Actually the FD-2 Mosfet gets an nice open tone to it similar to a OCD when in the Mosfet mode, I hardly ever use the std mode on the FD-2 anymore!

9. opdev

opdev Member

10. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I've got one used on the way. It's the older version. I wanted to use it for what most people would call very light overdrive, which is to say I am after the sound of a distorted non master volume, vintage type tube circuit.

Hopefully it can do that for those gigs where I can't turn it up enough, or am playing a clean amp in some other dude's backline. We'll see, I'm pretty damn skeptical. ;) Nothing I've tried sounds or feels anywhere even close to a good amp right at the edge.

11. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Can anyone compare the OCD with a Fulldrive II? How are they different?

12. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

In a nutshell an FD2 sounds more like a tubescreamer (and in my rig not a very good one). The OCD is supposed to sound more like your amp and guitar cranked. Although recently I read on Fulltone's website that the OCD is a Vox type OD/distortion. It does have that more open sounding distortion and drive. I really love the OCD with my strats. So far, not as much with humbuckers. I still need to play with placement, different amps, etc a bit more.

13. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I think you'll be very happy. Since i got mine almost a year ago, I have had no wish to use an attenuator ever again. It differs from a tube screamer/FD2 in that it lacks the mid hump and doesnt compress like those pedals. Its got a monsterous bass response and lots of kick if you need it. It's got a cool upper mid switch. I use it for light overdrive as well, and I end up setting the drive just past 9o'clock(its got a ton of gain on tap), volume at unity. If i'm boosting an already driven amp, I just crank the volume and lower the drive.

2 very small qualms though...1. If you are getting an old one(Like I have) make sure you can get some mids from your amp UNLESS you want a scooped tone- the pedal wont really add any, and you may find you get lost in the mix a bit if you set the amp clean with a scooped type tone. 2. It tends to make everything sound like a cranked Vox/Marshall- This is great for me, maybe not so much for others...it has it's trick, and it does it REALLY well.

That said, I really dig the OCD...YMMV though.

14. p.snail

p.snail Member

I had a Fulldrive 2 and I didn't care for that pedal at all. I like my HBE Powerscreamer much better than the FDII. I also have a Menatone Red Snapper on the way so we'll see how that goes. I'm pretty stoked about it really. I don't have a high gain OD yet though. I think the OCD is just what the doctor ordered.

15. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Right on brother! The OCD does indeed rock! Tons of dynamics and very open. I think the OCD is what the doctor ordered.

I think it verges on high gain, but I would still consider it medium gain. It does have a lot more grit than I think people who haven't tried one realize though.

16. daveg777

daveg777 Member

I have a tweed clone that I am thinking about using the OCD with. Play hard blues and classic rock through 2x12 cabs with Alnico's, and modded strats. Don't really need a super-overdriven sound, certainly not metal.

Thoughts?

Dave

17. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I say go for it, the OCD will certainly not do metal or any really high gain distortion tones per se. I have the first version. What the OCD is good for IMO is the fact that it has a really open, dynamic tone, extremely amp like dynamics.

The rest of your pedals will hate you for it.

It works pretty damn well as a boost too! :)

18. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I went through a rather long test with a few different guitars and Amps with the OCD and did not like it. I ran it up against a few other pedals also. I have to say that it is voiced alot like the GGG BSIAB2. But not 100%

I had it over again for another listen this past weekend and again it wasn't for me. but I really did the pedals range and sound during this test.

I have a question for all the OCD fans, do you guys/gals like the sound of the JCM 800 Marshall's? If I had to box the sound, that is where I placed it. The compression and release sounded to me like an 80's JCM 800. That's of course is my ears and I know that tone is very well respected by many.

19. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Simply put, I am a fan of the OCD and NOT a fan of the JCM 800 Marshall.

20. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I've said it before: my favorite OD pedal of all time! In front of a Matchless Clubman - it don't get any better than that for me! OCD forever . . .