Played Budda Superdrive45 This Weekend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Shredmonster, May 13, 2008.

1. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

I have been looking for an amp that I can do Michael Schenker type tones with.

I am just not happy with any Marshall I have found. They sound buzzy to me - probably sound good in the mix - played the new JVM - did not like it.

Tried a Hughes Kettner Triamp MK II - thin.

Tried some Fuchs, Dr Z and some other boutique stuff.
    Played a 20 watt Two Rock that sounded good. I imagine from the sound of the Two Rock their stuff is top notch but the 20 watter is all they had. Not that it is not loud enough mind you.

But then I plugged in to a Budda Superdrive 30 and then the 45.

To me the 45 is the best sounding head I have heard in a long time. You guys that play Budda know what I mean - no need to discribe it other than to say its thicker than a Marshall and does not buzz like a Marshall. Plus all the versatility.
    All I can say is WOW! Had never really paid attention to these amps before.

You guys think I could pull of Scheker with one of these things or should I go try a Bogner XTC (which is the other possibility I was thinking of)?

2. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

If you can handle the volume of the Budda, I would go with that ... and I am a Bogner fanatic. But I really love the tone of the SD45, I think it is outstanding and like you said, thick. The XTC is killer too, but for Schenker tones I think the Budda will rip. It has a bit more power tube sound in it when cranked up. But man, those Buddas are LOUD.

3. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

Yeah I think a attenuator would be needed to get the full sound out of the Budda but we had it at a level where we could put up with it in the music store.

We played with it for a couple hours!

Unbelievable versatility. We hooked in a Suhr Strat through it and it was some of the best most organic guitar sound I have ever heard period.

4. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Welcome to Buddism.

Your future is purple.

A

5. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

One of my favorite amp co. out there. Also they are a great company to work with if you ever need anything from them.
    Can't go wrong with Budda!

6. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Just because they are purple and sold at Guitar Center doesn't mean squat. Buddas rock balls!

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

8. snoggin

snoggin Member

Yeah i got a budda sd 18 and its my main gigging amp right now.. Its light and Loud

9. Ricker

Ricker Member

Tastes like Budda.
    Luuuuuurve my Buddas....my faves

Rick

10. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

I think I am going to play a Splawn Quickrod before making a final decision.

I am guessing I will prefer the Budda once I hear the Quickrod.

Really hard to find an amp that sounds that good.

Man I don't know what all the hype is about Marshalls after all the good amps out there nowadays.

11. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

how is the clean headroom on the sd-45? I'm after loud, boomy cleans.

12. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I think the Quickrod feels a bit stiff ... especially when compared to other Marshall-type amps. The Budda will mop it up ...

13. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

Plenty of headroom. Just great great tones all around. Spectacular would be a good word to describe it.

I was there with a couple tone whores who play Hamer guitars and they just loved the amp and are gassing right now.

14. freaksho

freaksho Member

amazing rock & 80's metal amp. i had one for a month at the beginning of his year. i couldnt stop playing Ozzy songs. the thing is a serious beast. wow!

but it's meant for LOUD - kinda hard to get anything less than band volumes out of it.

15. freaksho

freaksho Member

man i hate to do it but i have to seriously disagree with this. i ran out of clean pretty quick in a louder band rehearsal setting. gritty cleans a-la very early AC/DC was all i could hope for at these volumes with a set of Gibson 498/490 pups, especially the 498 (bridge).

but don't get me wrong - it was an amazing sound. and i bet a little volume knob roll off might have fixed that.

edit:
    i should also say that at lower volumes (still quite loud, mind you) where it's still perfectly clean, i agree that those tones were definitely as spectacular as described. thick with big clear low end and just the right amount of sparkle on top for my taste.

16. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Could it have been your pickups? Personally not a fan of that set; couldn't get cleans that weren't gritty with em, regardless of amp settings and volume.

17. freaksho

freaksho Member

well, i don't know. that's a good point. i mean you're right - i guess they are a bit hot so maybe other pickups would be better for this.

but i do get perfectly clean much louder through my rhythm guitar player's Mesa combo and my Shiva.

18. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

Well we had it at the music store so we could not really turn it up to band volume.
    The tones we had at the volume we had it at (if that makes sense ) were great.

My other alternative was looking at a Marshall and they do not have the best cleans either.

19. vrad

vrad Member

I own a QR and a Budda SD80. They're REALLY different.

20. van5073

van5073 Member

I have gigged and rehearsed extensively with an SD45 and can say that, as others have said, if you can play this amp loud , from 9 o clock up, you can get some of the best tones out there. The two channels balance nicely , eq wise, but not so much volume wise.