Played live with a 2015 Les Paul last night

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hippietim, May 6, 2015.

1. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

I went to an open jam last night and was asked to play guitar. The guy hands me an absolutely gorgeous 2015 Les Paul Standard. It had a killer flame top and the finish was killer.

I've played a bunch of the 2015 Gibson's in the store and thought they played fine. But that was sitting down and just noodling a bit. Playing standing up with the guitar slung down is a whole other thing. I did not like the wider neck at all. It's just a little over 1 3/4" and chunky. I actually like a beefy neck but with this width it was too much. To make matters worse, the setup was *really* stiff - low action and medium gauge strings with that neck was not fun.

On the positive side, the guitar sounded simply fantastic. Notes sustained very nicely. Great note clarity in chords. Thick and full and still cut through - it sounded like a vintage Gibson with that nice high-end. The fit and finish was fantastic.

I think with a traditional Gibson neck profile, this would have been an absolute killer guitar.

2. ken374

ken374 Member

I thought the neck on my old 2012 SG was really fat but I got used to it, actually quite comfortable after a while.

3. hippietim

I'm pretty sure the neck on your SG is considerably smaller than these 2015 Gibson's.

4. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor Member

I picked up a used 2012 traditional. I considered scraping the neck or just selling the guitar. Right now Im glad I didn't do either. I got used to it over time and now it doesnt bother me. I was unaware that the new LP's have a wider neck profile.

5. sleewell

sleewell Member

what were your thoughts on the minE tune system?

6. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    for 2015 the minE Tune has been replaced by the G Force Model tuner - many changes to that newer version over the MinE Tune. Hopefully hippietim will reply - I just gigged my 2015 SG Special with the G Force tuner and found it to be very easy to use and get along with live. Tunings between songs was very fast and I never missed a count-in. I found it to be faster than picking through the strings one at a time, and I found it both faster and more accurate than a Polytune pedal that I had, and got rid of. When it flashed all green that the guitar was in tune, it was. I used my Boss TU2 to mute while the G Force pulled the odd string back in tune quickly.

7. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I'll probably take an ass kicking for this....but I really like the 2015 LP's and SG's I've played. It's only been 3 of them but they've all been good guitars.

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Do you guys bend strings much or use much finger vibrato? Those new low height frets are just , well, to low...

9. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I think the slightly over 1 3/4 nut width will go down the same at the 1 9/16ths nut they used in the mid 60s to early 70s; a stupid idea and an answer to a question that was never asked.

Nice to hear they sound good though.

10. hippietim

Yeah - I really didn't like the nut width even though I had previously thought it'd be ok. But yeah, it sounded damn good.

Gibson can still make a damn fine guitar. In terms of fit, finish, looks, and tone it was a fantastic instrument that is easily as good as any boutique guitar. It really just came down to the width of that neck.

11. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

To the OP's point, I recently took two different Gibson LP's to rehearsal, an 06 Studio and a 15 Classic, and the 15 Classic was the clear winner. In a live band setting the 15 Classic stood out over the Studio! I also like using the boost toggle...comes in handy.