played maton and breedlove quick review

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by neastguy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

ok, I'm not too good at reviewing, but I'll start with the Breedlove- ac25/sr... nice weight, looked to be put together well, and this one was set up nicely...apparently this shop I was at swapped out the nut with a bone one... anyhow, to me its a warm sounding guitar not brite and not too bassy...no buzzy frets that I could find and had nice abalone features....good player and looker.... they had it at 1k + tax out the door, but I believe I could of haggled a bit....anyhow nice guitar......

then I tried two Maton's- one I cant remember but they had it listed at 1400 and the other was Tommy Emanuel model at something like 2700... a lot of cashola.... anyhow my first impression was that they were very light guitars put together well, both nice lookers....I think the one had walnut sides....very pretty.... anyhow soundwise, to me, very "tin canny" punchy very little bass and very hollow sounding....dunno, maybe I'm not used to high end accoustics but I really was not digging them...the salesman kinda looked shocked when I said I prefer the sound of the Breedlove... I wish they had more than just one breedlove to try but that was it...I remember I found a breedlove sitting in a GC also and it was cheap, $600 and it sounded good to me also..... anyhow, its not much of a review.... but I would choose the Breedlove, the only reason though I didnt consider it is because I dont like the white binding on the neck of the guitar...if it was bindingless (lol) I would consider big time....... that is all!!!:RoCkIn

2. fuzzyratfarts

fuzzyratfarts Member

Hmm...I have played the super nice models from both Makers and I prefer the Matons...more percussive and responsive, and EXTREMELY comfy to play.

3. neastguy

its weird, I didnt even like the the Maton's a little bit soundwise... hmm.. its strange how everyone hears stuff differently, I went home and played my 40 dollar hondo and liked it better soundwise..lol.... maybe thats why people shake there heads and walk away when I play.....:confused:

4. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Once you go Breedlove there's no going back. Seriously you tried thier bargin import series, the Atlas. Try a high end one and your sunk.

5. neastguy

what does theyre lowest High end guitars start at $ estimate... any ideas?

6. B Vance

B Vance Member

The Breedlove you played at GC was most likely a used Atlas series model. They are made in Korea. I too like the Breedloves, but I would have to say that I prefer the Matons between the two.

If it were up to me though, I'd still rather pick up a Larrivee OM than either band though.

7. neastguy

i played several larrivee's at a Sam Ashe last week, all in the 1k range... still like the Breedlove better than those..... I will have to look for the OM....thanks...

8. B Vance

B Vance Member

That's kind of an oxymoron. It really depends on what you consider to be a "High End" acoustic guitar. Martin has some that you can pick up for circa $850. That is only if you consider Martin to be a "High End" acoustic manufacturer.

You can find playable acoustics with great tone at just about any price point after $500 although I wouldn't consider any of these to be "High End."

I'd consider "High End" to start at the $1,500 range personally.

Check out www.wildwoodmusic.com for "High End" acoustic guitars. Best acoustic store in the Midwest. Just some thoughts.

9. neastguy

i agree with the High end... $1500 and above..... I do need to go out to Wildwood, the problem with that place is cash is king.... they dont take credit... I'm going to have to do some more saving before I head out there, usually I use gig money to pay off the debt... but we havent been gigging lately.... its about a 2 hour drive for me, but I have to get out there before I buy anything.........

10. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

They would start at $2500 which is the price of an SC20. This has likely gone up however since the Breedlove website says they will soon be posting the 2006 price list.

The Performance Package guitars are an excellent value since they include lots of extras such as a pickup system, inlays, strap button, etc. for a reduced price.

Terry

11. B Vance

B Vance Member

It's hands down the best store as far as no pressure too. You can go in there, and as long as you demonstrate you know what you are doing, they will leave you completely alone to play whatever you want for as long as you want. In fact, I was considering making a purchase for the OM I was talking about. A one off type with custom inlays. Marty actually talked me into not buying it, saving my money, coming back in a year or so to see if they had something better, or if it was still there, picking that one up. Not only that, but you can get a fair price for anything in there. Not necessarily the sticker price.

It's a haul for me to get there too. 2 & 1/2+ hours! I typically stop in once a year or so. My inlaws and my parents are about 1 hour away so it's typically in conjunction with a visit with them. Next time I'm heading over there I'll let you know and maybe we could meet up.

Best of luck.

B

12. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Im not nocking the atlas series. I played quite a few and loved them. The problem is my benchmark was the USA made ones, and 75%-90% wasnt close enough for me.

Then I found the guitar I put in the show your acoustics thread.