1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Played my first Koll yesterday

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Leonc, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Over at Tone Merchants. Filtertron pups, semi-hollow, Bigsby. Loved it. Boy if I wanted and updated Gretsch type guitar, with small-shop goodness built-in, that'd be it for sure. Tremendous axe.

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I played one in NY in May: korina body with 3 P90's. It was an absolutely great guitar, both in how it played and how it sounded. So apparently he's got that thing down too. :) Actually, I think Saul can probably make anything he tries sound incredible.

3. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

What the....??

4. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Yah, take a look at the custom section of Saul's web site. He'll build darned near anything you can imagine and do an outstanding job at it.

5. Leonc

No doubt. I'll have a Koll in my bag o tricks one day.

6. michaelg

michaelg Member

7. drezdin

drezdin Member

I've got something similar coming on my Koll, though it is just a standard ribbon controller. It also is going to have a momentary switch wired as a controller. Tis' goin to be lots of fun for ugly little noises!

8. drezdin

drezdin Member

Understood. Mine is from here http://infusionsystems.com/catalog/index.php... tons of controllers.

9. Antero

Antero Member

:eek: That is bloody awesome.

10. Orren

Orren Member

Once you play a Koll, you will never go back. :) I've found that my beauty records as well as it plays! :) Those wires between the bridge and PowerTron are piezos for the Ghost Hexpander 13-pin MIDI system.

[​IMG]

Orren

11. SGFan

SGFan Member

How do the semi-hollow's compare to a comprable Gretsch?

12. iainmc

iainmc Member

first off I know saul did work for th gretsch people for a while so i guess he knows more than a thing or 2 about gretsches.

On my first Koll, i really wanted a more playable Gretsch jet. I think gretsch has listened to people like me because some of the new stuff like the power jet (http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6128T-TVP&cat1=&cat2=&q=&st=1) adresses the sort of stuff i felt they needed to - however the floating bridge is always a hassle (on my gretsches i fixed that), but right now i don't own any gretsches because i have something better.

its a duo glide - plays better, sounds better & is awesome.
    [​IMG]

i will own another gretsch because i am jonesing again for something big. but i will also get another koll...

/i

13. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey David -

What an interesting insturment your #1 is. I hear ya about having to design your own - only 10 years ago much of the technology to do that existed only in the minds of progressive player/visionaries like yourself and your design pals. Witness Drezdin's pursuit of similar - just a few years later you could buy a controller instead of 'coming up' with one experimentally. I guess the 'experiments' paid off (GRIN)

Do you like way the trem bridge works? What kind of bridge is it? Hell, Soll probably makes his own ...

Oops, this is an unintended hijack - sorry, I'll repost it or PM splatt. Dana

Thanks in advance, Dana O.

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Hey Leon!
    When did Tone Merchants pick up Koll?
    Or was this a used instrument?
    I dig the look of the Koll's, and I guess we all know how respected Mr. Koll is by the other fab luthiers who frequent this watering hole.
    :cool:
    S.
    j

15. Leonc

Doc J - I'm not sure they're "carrying" them; I think this one was used. It was a great guitar in every respect (playability, attention to detail, tone, finish, looks, etc.) But Noel (from TM) told me they've had a very positive response to that guit-fiddle so I'm hoping to see more there down the road.

16. Leonc

Gotta put in another plug for Tone Merchants too. Man, they've got to have the coolest selection of amps (and some most outstanding guitars) in So Cal. TrueTone's got 'em on pedals for sure (though they did have a number of MI Audio pedals that I don't think TT has yet), but man-o-man did I play some nice amps there the other day too--the Splawn, Suhrs, Heritages, Gabriel Voxer, Top Hats, etc...outstanding stuff. Great place.:AOK

17. TNJ

That would be cool if Koll could ship a couple down there.
    Give the other SoCal players a chance to check one out in the flesh.
    I think the small shop luthiers like Saul, Ron, Bill, Scot H., and Jim S. should ship the occasional piece to a well connected vendor like Tone Merchants, Makenmusic, Dave's, Indoor Storm or the like. Get the word out that there's a new kid in town. I'm all for the continued success of these guys. They surely deserve it!

S.
    j

18. TNJ

Tone Merchants is a great shop for sure!
    Luckily, we have Makenmusic in Chi-Town, so I dont have to buy a plane ticket to L.A. to share in that heavenly amp goodness!
    Still...you guys in in the valley are lucky to have such a killer shop!
    Especially because the great players stop by to demo the goods.
    S.
    j

19. Orren

Orren Member

Thanks! Great minds think alike! :)

Orren