Played my first REAL amp today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ekkybedmond, Feb 11, 2012.

1. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

http://www.johnklaver.nl/Klaver 5e7m Combo/ATS00000.htm

Yep, there is a first time for everything. In my 30+ year career/ learning curve as a guitarist, this was my first PTP vintage style amp to play.

Having experience with Fenders (tubes and SS), Marshall JCM 900 and H&K Studio 84, this was som'tin' else. Built by guitar teacher in my musicschool (hey, I still need lessons..).

Can't tell if this is a set from TAD or an own/semi original design, but who cares, it sounded great. It sings, very touch sensitive

I want one

2. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I love the tweed bandmasters. Great amp. No wonder you want one.

3. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

I felt the same way when I played my 1st mesa

4. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Every ounce of obsession over guitars you've had in the last 30 years is about to be channeled into amps.
    Welcome........

5. GT100

GT100 Member

???

Lloyd

6. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

i played a handful of amps and then i tried a mesa/boogie one day. it was amazing.

7. Danktone

Danktone Member

Same here. After playing for a year, I grew out of m first solid state practice amp and wanted an amp that could keep up in a band environment. I remember looking at a peavy transtube and thinking they were awesome. Then the salesman showed me a 5150 combo and that sounded way better than the transtube. While I was messing around with the 5150 my dad wandered over to the mesa boogie area. He was like "try one of these," I did. Needless to say we were both floored at how good the boogie sounded. It was a DC-3, my first tube amp!

8. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

that's funny, I bought a 5150 head as my 1st tube amp. I played a few others and eventually got a dual recto, I was blown away at the tone once I cranked it. Made every note jump out and sing.

9. Powertwang

Powertwang Member

After owning dozens and dozens of fancy boutique and Fender/Marshall mainstays, my main gigging amp for the last year or so has been a River City tweed Bandmaster clone that I bought off of Craigslist. It's just one of those magical combinations of preamp/power section drive, speaker dirt and wattage for the not-too-clean/not-too-dirty gigging that I do.

There's a reason that this amp is the sound of "Won't Get Fooled Again" (and the rest of "Who's Next?", for that matter).