• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Played my Stepdad's 2014 Gibson R8 Yesterday...

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
Absolutely unbelievable.

Now I understand the hype. The neck was thinner than I was expecting, but it wasn't shredder thin. It was incredibly comfortable and felt so "right".

The most amazing thing to me, at first at least, was the unplugged tone. So rich. Strong lows, but a very pleasant top end. The note definition was insane.

Then we plugged it into his Friedman DS Mini. My mind was blown. I've never, EVER heard a tone so rock 'n roll come from my hands.

Looks like I'll be saving up for an R8 now.

(this image is mirrored for some reason)

crazyneddie

Yeah. I play with lots of different players all the time. I often ask people if they want to try my R8 into my Bluesbreaker. It always leaves them grinning, no matter what type of player they are or what styles of music or guitars they like. Mine also happens to be a 2014. Worth saving up for IMO.

AdmiralB

Now I understand the hype. The neck was thinner than I was expecting, but it wasn't shredder thin.
2014 necks seem to feel slimmer across the board. I say "feel" because if you measure them, they not really any less-deep; they just have smaller shoulders.

AdmiralB

Not my 2014 R4, she's a biggun'
Compared to...?

I don't doubt you, but do also think that it's all about frame of reference. I have a 2005 R6, a 2007 R7 Custom, and 2010 Junior and Specials. Those have big necks.

My 2014 R6's neck, while 'big' by any reasonable standard, has significantly smaller shoulders than the older guitars. Bigger than my (2010) R9, but not tremendously so. And the 2014 R8s I've handled (admittedly, only about five) have felt smaller than the older ones.

Might be that the 'older' guitars like '54s are unchanged, or it might be that my experiences are unusual, or...who knows.

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
I've been a believer since 2002. I've had the pleasure of having played hundreds of them (used to work in a music store). A really great Historic is like nothing you've played before. With a good amp, it becomes a visceral experience.

bluesbreaker59

Gold Supporting Member
Compared to...?

I don't doubt you, but do also think that it's all about frame of reference. I have a 2005 R6, a 2007 R7 Custom, and 2010 Junior and Specials. Those have big necks.

My 2014 R6's neck, while 'big' by any reasonable standard, has significantly smaller shoulders than the older guitars. Bigger than my (2010) R9, but not tremendously so. And the 2014 R8s I've handled (admittedly, only about five) have felt smaller than the older ones.

Might be that the 'older' guitars like '54s are unchanged, or it might be that my experiences are unusual, or...who knows.
Certainly a reasonable request! In comparison to a friend's earlier 2006-2008 (not sure on exact year, he bought in 08 from a dealer that had it sitting a while) R4, which had the largest neck I've ever felt. His neck was unplayable huge for me.

I agree that my 2014 R4 neck is large, but the shoulders are definitely shaved down to where its large but very comfortable to play. Larger neck than my 2014 Nocaster relic but only marginally. Its also 8.4 lbs and it rings like a bell. Fantastic instrument!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom