• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Played some Strymon delays today and wow! Have some questions

yoshiii

Hello,

I played some Strymon delay pedals today mind blown lol, well maybe not blown but great pedals!

I played the Deco, the Dig and the Volante.

Questions, what exactly is the Deco? Cool sounds but dont know what its supposed to be. Is it supposed to be the preamp from a old tape echo machine?

Is the Dig supposed to be a strait digital delay? It was cool but seemed very basic.

Is the Volante a bigger version of the Deco with the echo parts added? Supposed to sound like a tape machine?

Would buying the Dig and Volante be different enough from each other?

How do these pedals compare to the Boss digital delays like the DD3, DD5, DD200, etc?
Are the Boss ones just a different type of delay with different features?

How do the strymons compare to the Belle Echoplex and the MXR Echo Plex pedals?

How is the EHX Canyon compared to these?

Edit: Forgot I played the El Cap also.

Last edited:

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
Deco is 2 reel-to-reel decks. You can lag one relative to the other for chorus, flange, slapback and 1 or 2 repeat delays. Saturation side is how hot the signal you feed the decks but you could think of it as a de facto preamp. It's a great pedal. So is the Dig.

Try the TimeLine before you buy the Volante, I like it better.

Tung-Sol Tube

Is it supposed to be the preamp from a old tape echo machine?
Not quite. The saturation side is emulating the compression and even overdrive that occurs from recording a hot signal onto the tape. It’s a reel-to-reel machine instead of an EP-3 Echoplex, which is known for its preamp.

Is the Dig supposed to be a strait digital delay? It was cool but seemed very basic.
Essentially, but it’s emulating rackmount delay technology as it progressed. The secondary functions offer a lot of flexibility.

Is the Volante a bigger version of the Deco with the echo parts added? Supposed to sound like a tape machine?
The Volante’s studio mode (reel-to-reel) is similar to the Deco’s echo functionality. The Volante can’t do all of the Deco’s modulation functions and the record level control for the Volante’s preamp functions differently than the Deco’s saturation side.

How do these pedals compare to the Boss digital delays like the DD3, DD5, DD200, etc?
For straight digital delay, Boss does the percussive plain delay well. Generally speaking, I don’t care for Boss’s analog and tape emulations. IMHO, the DIG’s modulated sounds and the Volante’s tape sounds outclass the units you mentioned.

How do the strymons compare to the Belle Echoplex and the MXR Echo Plex pedals?
The Belle Epoch standard is pretty raw and dirty, the Deluxe is brighter and more refined. The MXR has some tape age functionality, but lacks authenticity of the EP-3. Both have EP-3 preamp circuits, but the MXR’s is only on the repeats (in an attempt to get you to buy their separate preamp pedal). These are better compared to the El Cap (Single head Echoplex mode), since the Volante’s tape mode is closer to the RE-series Space Echo.

How is the EHX Canyon compared to these?
I like the Canyon. It does a lot and does it pretty well. The tape mode can get very dirty and the modulation is more intense than the Strymon units. The digital and modulated digital delay modes are decent, but not as sweet as the DIG IMO. The secondary controls allow for insane versatility (POG-like octaves, vibrato, chorus, flanger, reverb, and so much more).

yoshiii

Deco is 2 reel-to-reel decks. You can lag one relative to the other for chorus, flange, slapback and 1 or 2 repeat delays. Saturation side is how hot the signal you feed the decks but you could think of it as a de facto preamp. It's a great pedal. So is the Dig.

Try the TimeLine before you buy the Volante, I like it better.
Oh ok, thanks for explaining.

So the Timeline is a tape echo type delay similar to the Volante?

yoshiii

Not quite. The saturation side is emulating the compression and even overdrive that occurs from recording a hot signal onto the tape. It’s a reel-to-reel machine instead of an EP-3 Echoplex, which is known for its preamp.

Essentially, but it’s emulating rackmount delay technology as it progressed. The secondary functions offer a lot of flexibility.

The Volante’s studio mode (reel-to-reel) is similar to the Deco’s echo functionality. The Volante can’t do all of the Deco’s modulation functions and the record level control for the Volante’s preamp functions differently than the Deco’s saturation side.

For straight digital delay, Boss does the percussive plain delay well. Generally speaking, I don’t care for Boss’s analog and tape emulations. IMHO, the DIG’s modulated sounds and the Volante’s tape sounds outclass the units you mentioned.

The Belle Epoch standard is pretty raw and dirty, the Deluxe is brighter and more refined. The MXR has some tape age functionality, but lacks authenticity of the EP-3. Both have EP-3 preamp circuits, but the MXR’s is only on the repeats (in an attempt to get you to buy their separate preamp pedal). These are better compared to the El Cap (Single head Echoplex mode), since the Volante’s tape mode is closer to the RE-series Space Echo.

I like the Canyon. It does a lot and does it pretty well. The tape mode can get very dirty and the modulation is more intense than the Strymon units. The digital and modulated digital delay modes are decent, but not as sweet as the DIG IMO. The secondary controls allow for insane versatility (POG-like octaves, vibrato, chorus, flanger, reverb, and so much more).
Oh forgot to add, played the EL CAP too. So the So the Belle Epoch and the MXR Echoplex are better than the El Cap?
Thanks for explaining everything.

So out of all listed here, for tape echo, the Belle Epoch, Volonte is good, the Deco is good for the modulation, Canyon for wild and crazy and Boss for strait digital delay.

So it wont be repeating the same features to buy the Deco, Belle Epoch and a Boss DD3 or DD5, etc?

Maybe the Canyon for wild stuff?

joebloggs13

There is only some overlap when comparing Strymon's small vs big boxes. While units like the Volante and Timeline can cover a lot of ground, and offer much more...there are things they just can't do like the small boxes can.

yoshiii

There is only some overlap when comparing Strymon's small vs big boxes. While units like the Volante and Timeline can cover a lot of ground, and offer much more...there are things they just can't do like the small boxes can.
So for example, the El Cap and the Volonte would over lap in some areas but the EL Cap can do some things the Volonte cannot?

Tung-Sol Tube

Oh forgot to add, played the EL CAP too. So the So the Belle Epoch and the MXR Echoplex are better than the El Cap?
Thanks for explaining everything.

So out of all listed here, for tape echo, the Belle Epoch, Volonte is good, the Deco is good for the modulation, Canyon for wild and crazy and Boss for strait digital delay.

So it wont be repeating the same features to buy the Deco, Belle Epoch and a Boss DD3 or DD5, etc?

Maybe the Canyon for wild stuff?
I wouldn’t say they’re better, just different. If you want the preamp, that’s a plus since the El Cap’s is neutral. El Cap is more versatile since it does a whole lot more than just Echoplex-type tones. Sure, happy to help!

I think they’re all worth owning, but I have like a dozen delays so I might be a bit biased. They all cover different ground.

The Canyon can definitely do some wacky stuff. Octave delays, “shimmer”, glitchy stuff. The Timeline’s Ice mode can kind of do shimmer, but it’s not the same as the Canyon’s.

So for example, the El Cap and the Volonte would over lap in some areas but the EL Cap can do some things the Volonte cannot?
They do overlap somewhat, but the El Cap’s tape bias can’t be recreated on the Volante and can’t do all the 100% wet modulation effects the El Cap can do with the time and feedback at minimum. The voicing of the tape modes are different as well. IIRC, the El Cap can also get a whole lot darker than the Volante and you can get tape crinkle without wow and flutter (Volante can only have crinkle if w&f is present above 50% of the mechanics control).

yoshiii

Correct. For instance, the El Capistan has a Tape Age dial....the Volante does not.
ok.

Going to complicate this a bit more, I already own the MXR Carbon Copy. Where does that fit or not fit in compared to the other pedals? The DMM? (dont own it yet)

John 14:6

The Strymon DIG and El Cap are my two main delay pedals. The DIG is two delay pedals that can be used together if you want and without the repeats tripping over each other. You can set it for just one delay pedal when you want. It has two 80's digital delay modes and one modern mode along with modulation options. A freaking glorious pedal in my opinion.

I LOVE my El Capistan pedal also and it is fantastic at nailing tape delay sounds with lots of options. I purchased "favorite" switches for both pedals which makes them even more versatile for live use. I also have an MXR Carbon Copy analog delay pedal on my board that is very cool but does not see much use.

Last edited:

10strings

Silver Supporting Member
I've played them all, owned most, I like the Diamond MLJR, soon the Memory Lane DLX, and the Boonar while waiting for the Boonar Tube Deluxe. Strymon gets me 90% of what I am looking for and you can go wrong though. Great company with lots of innovative stuff that has proven the test of time. For me I am looking for raw sound quality and simplicity. Hat's off to Strymon!

Kennyscrown

I had the El Cap and loved it, but replaced it with the Timeline to get the screen and presets, amd it is just superb. I’ve had it 5 years and have never thought of moving it on

I would say get the Timeline, and if you still feel the need for another delay, pair it with something complementary. People say it doesn’t do pristine digital delay well (I think you can get it clean enough, but YMMV) so maybe pair it with a Dig, or the Providence Chrono for example.

The Timeline also doesn’t have a multi head tape capability, or a EP3-type pre-amp. Again, I think the Timeline does a brilliant tape echo, but if this is important to you, pair with a Belle Epoch/Echorec etc.

My creative meanderings are taking more down the glitch/weird delay route now. My next purchase is likely to be a Red Panda Particle2, or maybe a Count to 5 - something hopefully very different.

fab38

Hello,

Would buying the Dig and Volante be different enough from each other?
I'm not a Strymon fan, at all, but I have to say that the DIG is a really great pedal. Strymon's sound perfection at its best, and that's perfect for a digital delay.
It may seem basic, but it's not : modulation is really gorgeous, and the dual possibilities are allowing from percussive to lush eerie sounds.

For tape echo, my opinion is : either you buy a simple cheap pedal offering a few options but still a good sound (for instance second hand EchoParl in tape mode, very good tape emulation), or you buy the real thing. For the price of a Volante, you could find a Watkins Copicat, I think. And when you try one of these, you can never go back. This is just my feeling, based upon experience : I bought a El Capistan (honeymoon was over after 3 months), I tried a Volante (far too sterile for the tape sound I love), and I ended getting a Copicat. Wow, unbelievable. Guitars can sing, roar and scream.

Good luck for your quest, and don't forget that mixing brands on a board allows great things : a very clean Strymon paired with a really wild Death By Audio can be a very interesting couple...

joebloggs13

ok.

Going to complicate this a bit more, I already own the MXR Carbon Copy. Where does that fit or not fit in compared to the other pedals? The DMM? (dont own it yet)
The Carbon Copy is more of a one trick pony compared to the others. The DMM offers chorus and vibrato. The El Cap and DIG have many more features in the secondary functions(pressing both foot switches simultaneously changes the function of each dial on the pedal).
I have used the DIG for U2 type delays, and the El Cap, for me gets me that David Gilmour sound, but it can also do U2 type stuff as well. Both are super versatile pedals. Strymon's stuff really is top notch. I own the DIG, El Cap, Deco, Flint and the Lex. Love them. :aok

Trending Topics