• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Played some Strymon delays today and wow! Have some questions

100JH

Thanks everyone. Is the EP boost a good tape preamp pedal?
Check these out...

Tung-Sol Tube

Thanks everyone. Is the EP boost a good tape preamp pedal?
It’s not accurate to the EP-3 preamp, but people seem to like it. It has a lot of boost on tap while an accurate take on the circuit will have maybe a few dB like the original unit.

Check these out...

These are good examples of quality EP-3 preamp pedals.

If you want the Space Echo preamp, the Nocturne Dyno Brain would be what you want. I believe it’s the RE-301 model.

yoshiii

Thanks everyone, now I have to go thru and decide what to buy lol.

Is the roland space echo any good? The pedal

yoshiii

Deco is 2 reel-to-reel decks. You can lag one relative to the other for chorus, flange, slapback and 1 or 2 repeat delays. Saturation side is how hot the signal you feed the decks but you could think of it as a de facto preamp. It's a great pedal. So is the Dig.

Try the TimeLine before you buy the Volante, I like it better.
If I already have a chorus and flanger pedal, is the Deco still a good deal?

yoshiii

Not quite. The saturation side is emulating the compression and even overdrive that occurs from recording a hot signal onto the tape. It’s a reel-to-reel machine instead of an EP-3 Echoplex, which is known for its preamp.

Essentially, but it’s emulating rackmount delay technology as it progressed. The secondary functions offer a lot of flexibility.

The Volante’s studio mode (reel-to-reel) is similar to the Deco’s echo functionality. The Volante can’t do all of the Deco’s modulation functions and the record level control for the Volante’s preamp functions differently than the Deco’s saturation side.

For straight digital delay, Boss does the percussive plain delay well. Generally speaking, I don’t care for Boss’s analog and tape emulations. IMHO, the DIG’s modulated sounds and the Volante’s tape sounds outclass the units you mentioned.

The Belle Epoch standard is pretty raw and dirty, the Deluxe is brighter and more refined. The MXR has some tape age functionality, but lacks authenticity of the EP-3. Both have EP-3 preamp circuits, but the MXR’s is only on the repeats (in an attempt to get you to buy their separate preamp pedal). These are better compared to the El Cap (Single head Echoplex mode), since the Volante’s tape mode is closer to the RE-series Space Echo.

I like the Canyon. It does a lot and does it pretty well. The tape mode can get very dirty and the modulation is more intense than the Strymon units. The digital and modulated digital delay modes are decent, but not as sweet as the DIG IMO. The secondary controls allow for insane versatility (POG-like octaves, vibrato, chorus, flanger, reverb, and so much more).
Ok, so the Volante is a Echoplex type of delay as well as the El Capistan? Meaning single head tape delay?
The Deco is like having reel to reel tape machine and messing around with it for modulation effects, tape warping, etc.
The big difference between the Volante and the El Capistan is that the Volante does more? They both kind of do what the Deco does?

The Timeline is basically a digital delay multi effects unit with presets?

Belle Echoplex and the MXR Echoplex are those brands versions of a single head tape delay?

RockDebris

Ok, so the Volante is a Echoplex type of delay as well as the El Capistan? Meaning single head tape delay?
The Deco is like having reel to reel tape machine and messing around with it for modulation effects, tape warping, etc.
The big difference between the Volante and the El Capistan is that the Volante does more? They both kind of do what the Deco does?

Belle Echoplex and the MXR Echoplex are those brands versions of a single head tape delay?
Well, the Volante at it's core is specifically based on the Binson Echorec Drum Delay (which is why one of the modes is "Drum"). It has some specific control features for manipulating the playback and feedback heads similar to how certain drum and tape units work. It is clearly a multi-head unit (4 heads). In addition to Drum, Strymon added Tape and Studio (High fidelity tape) modes. Think of the Volante as adding a whole lot of control over the mechanics of drum and tape units, plus a pretty awesome and simple Spring Reverb control. This may be more control over individual things than some people care to ever use.

The DECO, on the other hand, has half of it's design dedicated to how tape sounds when too hot of a signal is getting recorded which causes "tape saturation" ( a certain kind of distortion and compression that is sought after by some). The Delay half of it is based on Tape as well, but the controls are more about how you would approach using a "Lag" deck and tricks involving that to create Flanger and Chorus effects, as well as a slapback delay. The Volante and the El Cap can do slapback delay as well, so there is some cross over. The DECO however is extremely well suited for those Flanger and Chorus effects, including the much sought after "Through-Zero Flanger" effect. DECO also has a "wide stereo" mode which you may never use, but basically it can be used as signal "doubler" in stereo. You can do stuff like this with all sorts of units, but DECO makes it specifically part of it's feature set. It's focus is really "Reel-to-Reel" tricks that get used in the studio.

The El Cap is a more traditional Tape Delay emulation with multi-head features. It's got the ability to apply multiple heads and manipulate their spacing pretty well through a couple of simple controls, but not as much control as the Volante can do. It emulates having 3 heads ( 1/16, 1/8th and 1/4), where any 1 or 2 of them can be engaged at the same time. It also has a single head mode which is the gateway to adjusting tape motor speed an doing some looping. It's also got the Spring reverb as a "Hidden" feature.

If you are looking for a recommendation for just one, I'd get the Volante. It has kind of the sweet spot of features between them all UNLESS you are specifically looking for the Saturation, Chorus, Flanger and Stereo mode of the DECO. If the Volante looks intimidating, takes up too much space and is too many features, then the El Cap or some other brand of tape delay.

Last edited:

Tung-Sol Tube

No. The Volante doesn’t really do Echoplex sounds. Single on Strymon products refers to sliding head units like the Echoplex.

Basically.

Kind of. You can get Deco-like modulation effects on the El Capistan (100% wet, minimum time and feedback). The Volante does Deco type delay effects (reel-to-reel).
Sort of. The Timeline’s dTape mode corresponds to the El Cap’s single mode. Lots of other nuances there too.

Right, those are single head Echoplex emulations.

yoshiii

Well, the Volante at it's core is specifically based on the Binson Echorec Drum Delay (which is why one of the modes is "Drum"). It has some specific control features for manipulating the playback and feedback heads similar to how certain drum and tape units work. It is clearly a multi-head unit (4 heads). In addition to Drum, Strymon added Tape and Studio (High fidelity tape) modes. Think of the Volante as adding a whole lot of control over the mechanics of drum and tape units, plus a pretty awesome and simple Spring Reverb control. This may be more control over individual things than some people care to ever use.

The DECO, on the other hand, has half of it's design dedicated to how tape sounds when too hot of a signal is getting recorded which causes "tape saturation" ( a certain kind of distortion and compression that is sought after by some). The Delay half of it is based on Tape as well, but the controls are more about how you would approach using a "Lag" deck and tricks involving that to create Flanger and Chorus effects, as well as a slapback delay. The Volante and the El Cap can do slapback delay as well, so there is some cross over. The DECO however is extremely well suited for those Flanger and Chorus effects, including the much sought after "Through-Zero Flanger" effect. DECO also has a "wide stereo" mode which you may never use, but basically it can be used as signal "doubler" in stereo. You can do stuff like this with all sorts of units, but DECO makes it specifically part of it's feature set. It's focus is really "Reel-to-Reel" tricks that get used in the studio.

The El Cap is a more traditional Tape Delay emulation with multi-head features. It's got the ability to apply multiple heads and manipulate their spacing pretty well through a couple of simple controls, but not as much control as the Volante can do. It emulates having 3 heads ( 1/16, 1/8th and 1/4), where any 1 or 2 of them can be engaged at the same time. It also has a single head mode. It's also got the Spring reverb as a "Hidden" feature.

If you are looking for a recommendation for just one, I'd get the Volante. It has kind of the sweet spot of features between them all UNLESS you are specifically looking for the Saturation, Chorus, Flanger and Stereo mode of the DECO. If the Volante looks intimidating, takes up too much space and is too many features, then the El Cap or some other brand of tape delay.
If I already own Chorus and Flanger pedals, and the MXR Carbon Copy, than there is no need to get the Deco unless I want to use the other features correct?

So the El Cap is closer to a Roland Space Echo type of tape delay? (multi heads)

The Volante is kind of a multi effect for tape delays with mainly focusing on the drum delay?

Which has the better sound analog sound, the El Cap or the Volante? Not as digital sounding? I dont need a pedal to try to do everything, usually those arent as good sounding as a pedal that focuses on one or two things.

yoshiii

No. The Volante doesn’t really do Echoplex sounds. Single on Strymon products refers to sliding head units like the Echoplex.

Basically.

Kind of. You can get Deco-like modulation effects on the El Capistan (100% wet, minimum time and feedback). The Volante does Deco type delay effects (reel-to-reel).

Sort of. The Timeline’s dTape mode corresponds to the El Cap’s single mode. Lots of other nuances there too.

Right, those are single head Echoplex emulations.
Ok. Think I understand

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
If I already have a chorus and flanger pedal, is the Deco still a good deal?
Check out all it does on Strymon's website, they have good clips. Judge the feature set for yourself. One question that you have to answer is can you live with just 1 or 2 repeats. That is a hard limitation of the Deco.

You can get Deco-like modulation effects on the El Capistan (100% wet, minimum time and feedback). The Volante does Deco type delay effects (reel-to-reel).
Deco is two (virtual) decks. Can the same be said of El Capistan and Volante? I personally don't own either and cannot say.

Tung-Sol Tube

Check out all it does on Strymon's website, they have good clips. Judge the feature set for yourself. One question that you have to answer is can you live with just 1 or 2 repeats. That is a hard limitation of the Deco.

Deco is two (virtual) decks. Can the same be said of El Capistan and Volante? I personally don't own either and cannot say.
Correct, the Deco is two. The El Cap and Volante are only one deck.

If I already own Chorus and Flanger pedals, and the MXR Carbon Copy, than there is no need to get the Deco unless I want to use the other features correct?

So the El Cap is closer to a Roland Space Echo type of tape delay? (multi heads)

The Volante is kind of a multi effect for tape delays with mainly focusing on the drum delay?

Which has the better sound analog sound, the El Cap or the Volante? Not as digital sounding? I dont need a pedal to try to do everything, usually those arent as good sounding as a pedal that focuses on one or two things.
I've been down this path before. None of this is going to be as cut and dry as you want it to be.

There's no avoiding overlap and you're going to leave something behind unless you buy all of them.

In my experience if you can identify something specific you want to explore, you're in for a grand time. If your goal is to make the optimal, unassailably correct purchase, you're in for a disappointment.

Trending Topics