Played Stairway to Heaven at a house party last nite.

fitz

I've played it many times in front of folks usually in a condensed version and on acoustic. This is usually by request and it does come up when you're just sitting around noodling. As others mention, quite a bit of people play it wrong so pulling it off perfectly and others noticing it was done as the original is still a pretty cool experience.

twotone

I'd play it only if someone else plays the acoustic guitar part in the intro and the verses.

Jim Daddy

I saw John Bonham's band play it perfectly a couple of years ago. All
band members breathed a sigh of relief when it was over.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
a local band played it and Hotel California recently. Did well at both. Was awesome!
A band I was in until a few years ago played Hotel at every gig, everyone always loved it. We also played several Zep songs. At one point, we were talking and realized that while everyone says that Stairway is so overplayed, none of us had ever heard a cover band play actually play it. So we rehearsed it. Played it at a couple of gigs and no one seemed to appreciate it -- probably because it does plod along for several minutes. It's certainly not a dance song.

Last edited:

taez555

The tricky part is singing the middle verse just right so that when you play it backwards it says "here's to my sweet satan".

sahhas

it was never my favorite LZ song....
1655903804933.png

amstrtatnut

After it being such a hit when released, and being played to death on the radio it became one of what DJ's at the time would call a "Bathroom break tune."

You'd better have a vocalist that can channel Robert Plant.

I'll admit that I think that tune was a great accomplishment on Zep's part and I liked it too, but too much of anything.......

So after 50 years you still think its over played?

I think its time to bring it back!

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
I played it for a talent show when I was a jr in high school (a military academy because-delinquent). I believe this might have been 1980. Call it a botch job. I had zero clue except I was gonna give it my best.

I finally got to play it again in front of people and they acted like they liked it. It was less of a botch job but, I still have trouble remembering settings on the double neck.

I know we "musicians" might not think its cool but, I think its high time I brought it to another venue near me.
Jimmy Page didn't play it right live - but he played it well - I don't recall very many bands covering it - there was one band at the local Skate Rink they played Boston exactly like the record - they had a B3 - and they covered Stairway - the guitarist kind of got there - but for my taste he was too distorted during the clean parts.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom