Played the 5150-III today

pfrischmann

I got a chance to play a 5150-III today. It seemed like a pretty average amp, pretty good for the price and the second channel seemed like it could have potential but I just couldn't find much warmth to it. Lots of edge though.

The switching was almost instantaneous, which was a little weird.

FWIW.

Griz

I've been impressed with what I've heard so far, having listened to several different players audition the amp at a local shop.

Not my thing, but a very convincing modern high gain sound. Who knew Fender would get behind that?

Expensive, though. What are they, around 3 grand?

Miles

Chainsaw guitar to my ears, I like the sound of a dual rec much more than the 5150. I just couldn't get along with the 5150, so I definitely hear you on the 'average' opinion.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Chainsaw guitar to my ears, I like the sound of a dual rec much more than the 5150. I just couldn't get along with the 5150, so I definitely hear you on the 'average' opinion.

5150 is an old amp made by Peavey and the 5150III is a totally completely different amp made by Fender. I'm not sure if you meant the 5150III sounded like a Chainsaw but that's the 1st time I've heard that.

Also I had the original 5150 and I've had friends that had them . . Some sounded like metallic buzzy chainsaw crap.. Some dialed them in to sound like Soldano Slo 100's.. .I had no problem dialing mine in just fine. I like my other amps more but it's only because I have a bunch of really good amps.. There was nothing wrong with the 5150 at all.. (just another opinion) ..> BUT of course this thread is about a totally different amp! :)

Eric

SFW

I've played it and it was a nice amp. Not $2k nice, but more like $1,200 to $1,500 nice. At the $2k mark you start getting into used Soldano and Bogner prices... which I believe are better values at that price point. IMHO.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom