• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Played the Blackstar HT-5 today....Loved it,but........

jimmyohio75

I played the HT-5 head through the matching 1x10's mini stack (2 cabs).

I loved the sound of the amp but I cranked it all the way up and I cannot see how this amp would be able to be used at a gig, even when mic'd. 5 watts is just not enough power.
If they made a 15 watt HT-15 I would have bought it today!! It sounds awesome. I liked the gain channel better than the Rebel 20, a bit smoother IMO.

It was real hard to walk out without this one.
I was looking for a low wattage amp that I culd use at small gigs when mic'd. It looks like I'm back to researching the Tweed Blues Jr. (also played today). I would just have to run my Crunch Box through it for dirt.

Please Blackstar, make a 15 watt HT-15!!!!!

smoss469

It's 5W, it's not really designed or intended for gigging with a full blast drummer. It's more of a home practice/recording amp.

Mickey64

I'm sure a 2x12 or 4x12 would help but now I'm scared away. (until they produce a 15 watt version)
They do a 15 watt version, the Artisan. it's available as a combo or a head; the head and 2x12 cab sound awesome. Worth a look, particularly if you like the Marshall sound.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
They do a 15 watt version, the Artisan. it's available as a combo or a head; the head and 2x12 cab sound awesome. Worth a look, particularly if you like the Marshall sound.
Isn't the Artisan different though? The HT-5 is based on a pedal....as far as the gain stage.

The Artisan is also a class A amp based on EL-84s.

jimmyohio75

How can it not handle being miced :confused:

Is it so quiet even a mic couldn't pick it up?

EDIT: ;)
No, I'm talking about being on stage being able to hear it. The stage monitors at the club we play strictly push the vocals. The guitar gets pushed through the wall monitors. I can barely hear the guitar through those speakers. If I can't hear the amp behind me I can't hear my guitar. With all the noise in the club I would be surprised if I could clearly hear this or any 5 watt amp. I need at least 15 watts in this scenario.

jimmyohio75

Aren't they like 5x more $$$, too?
Yeah, the Artisan 15 watt combo is like $1400.
For that money I will get a Budda SD 18.

The main thing that attracted me to the HT-5 is the price. I would imagine Blackstar could make an HT-15 priced around $599 for the head. I would buy one today!!

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the Artisan 15 watt combo is like $1400.
For that money I will get a Budda SD 18.

The main thing that attracted me to the HT-5 is the price. I would imagine Blackstar could make an HT-15 priced around $599 for the head. I would buy one today!!
I don't know if it is possible. Maybe one of the tube/amp gurus will jump in, but the HT-5 uses 2 preamp tubes.

andrekp

As I understand it, it is not single ended, like most amps in that wattage range, but uses a dual triode in push-pull configuration.

Also, a 5w amp will get damn loud with more and better speakers. I run a SE 5watter through a 2x12 loaded with V30s and the things is loud. Much louder than with a 1x12. I imagine eventually you will get diminishing returns as the signal gets spreat to more and more, but a 2x12 or even 4x12 is perfectly doable with a 5w, and will be loud.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
As I understand it, it is not single ended, like most amps in that wattage range, but uses a dual triode in push-pull configuration.

Also, a 5w amp will get damn loud with more and better speakers. I run a SE 5watter through a 2x12 loaded with V30s and the things is loud. Much louder than with a 1x12. I imagine eventually you will get diminishing returns as the signal gets spreat to more and more, but a 2x12 or even 4x12 is perfectly doable with a 5w, and will be loud.
Thats the thing about the HT-5. It doesn't get that loud. I would venture to say that the Epi Valve JR is WAY louder at the same wattage.

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
The Handsome Devil is 15 watts for $349 at MF. Isn't that the same thing with more power?

To the OP: What have you compared the 5 watter to in terms of Marshall style amps? Because for me it sounds like it may be a cool home or studio amp if it is a "pro" Marshall sound on a small scale. A gain channel surpassing the Rebel is a bold statement at 200 bucks.

jimmyohio75

The Handsome Devil is 15 watts for $349 at MF. Isn't that the same thing with more power?

To the OP: What have you compared the 5 watter to in terms of Marshall style amps? Because for me it sounds like it may be a cool home or studio amp if it is a "pro" Marshall sound on a small scale. A gain channel surpassing the Rebel is a bold statement at 200 bucks.
IMO the Blackstar does a great cranked Marshall impression. Others may disagree but to my ears, I like the gain better on the Blackstar than the Rebel 20. Believe it or not it had a bit more low end growl and was a bit smoother. The only other gain channel I like better on any amp is the Budda Superdrive 18, 30 and 45. Of course those amps are 3 to 4 times more expensive than either the Rebel or the Blackstar. I am real curious to try out the rebel 30 and Renegade 50 amps coming from Egnater in May. I would check out the Artisan series from Blackstar but once again, I could get a Budda for what those cost. The Rebel 20 has a much more articulate clean channel but like I said the Blackstar gain channel really impressed me.

Trending Topics