Played the Blackstar HT-5 today....Loved it,but........

jimmyohio75

I played the HT-5 head through the matching 1x10's mini stack (2 cabs).

I loved the sound of the amp but I cranked it all the way up and I cannot see how this amp would be able to be used at a gig, even when mic'd. 5 watts is just not enough power.
If they made a 15 watt HT-15 I would have bought it today!! It sounds awesome. I liked the gain channel better than the Rebel 20, a bit smoother IMO.

It was real hard to walk out without this one.
I was looking for a low wattage amp that I culd use at small gigs when mic'd. It looks like I'm back to researching the Tweed Blues Jr. (also played today). I would just have to run my Crunch Box through it for dirt.

Please Blackstar, make a 15 watt HT-15!!!!!

smoss469

It's 5W, it's not really designed or intended for gigging with a full blast drummer. It's more of a home practice/recording amp.

Mickey64

I'm sure a 2x12 or 4x12 would help but now I'm scared away. (until they produce a 15 watt version)

They do a 15 watt version, the Artisan. it's available as a combo or a head; the head and 2x12 cab sound awesome. Worth a look, particularly if you like the Marshall sound.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
They do a 15 watt version, the Artisan. it's available as a combo or a head; the head and 2x12 cab sound awesome. Worth a look, particularly if you like the Marshall sound.

Isn't the Artisan different though? The HT-5 is based on a pedal....as far as the gain stage.

The Artisan is also a class A amp based on EL-84s.

jimmyohio75

How can it not handle being miced :confused:

Is it so quiet even a mic couldn't pick it up?

EDIT: ;)
No, I'm talking about being on stage being able to hear it. The stage monitors at the club we play strictly push the vocals. The guitar gets pushed through the wall monitors. I can barely hear the guitar through those speakers. If I can't hear the amp behind me I can't hear my guitar. With all the noise in the club I would be surprised if I could clearly hear this or any 5 watt amp. I need at least 15 watts in this scenario.

jimmyohio75

Aren't they like 5x more $$$, too?
Yeah, the Artisan 15 watt combo is like $1400.
For that money I will get a Budda SD 18.

The main thing that attracted me to the HT-5 is the price. I would imagine Blackstar could make an HT-15 priced around $599 for the head. I would buy one today!!

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the Artisan 15 watt combo is like $1400.
For that money I will get a Budda SD 18.

The main thing that attracted me to the HT-5 is the price. I would imagine Blackstar could make an HT-15 priced around $599 for the head. I would buy one today!!

I don't know if it is possible. Maybe one of the tube/amp gurus will jump in, but the HT-5 uses 2 preamp tubes.

andrekp

As I understand it, it is not single ended, like most amps in that wattage range, but uses a dual triode in push-pull configuration.

Also, a 5w amp will get damn loud with more and better speakers. I run a SE 5watter through a 2x12 loaded with V30s and the things is loud. Much louder than with a 1x12. I imagine eventually you will get diminishing returns as the signal gets spreat to more and more, but a 2x12 or even 4x12 is perfectly doable with a 5w, and will be loud.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
As I understand it, it is not single ended, like most amps in that wattage range, but uses a dual triode in push-pull configuration.

Also, a 5w amp will get damn loud with more and better speakers. I run a SE 5watter through a 2x12 loaded with V30s and the things is loud. Much louder than with a 1x12. I imagine eventually you will get diminishing returns as the signal gets spreat to more and more, but a 2x12 or even 4x12 is perfectly doable with a 5w, and will be loud.

Thats the thing about the HT-5. It doesn't get that loud. I would venture to say that the Epi Valve JR is WAY louder at the same wattage.

telelion

Platinum Supporting Member
The Handsome Devil is 15 watts for $349 at MF. Isn't that the same thing with more power?

To the OP: What have you compared the 5 watter to in terms of Marshall style amps? Because for me it sounds like it may be a cool home or studio amp if it is a "pro" Marshall sound on a small scale. A gain channel surpassing the Rebel is a bold statement at 200 bucks.

jimmyohio75

The Handsome Devil is 15 watts for $349 at MF. Isn't that the same thing with more power?

To the OP: What have you compared the 5 watter to in terms of Marshall style amps? Because for me it sounds like it may be a cool home or studio amp if it is a "pro" Marshall sound on a small scale. A gain channel surpassing the Rebel is a bold statement at 200 bucks.
IMO the Blackstar does a great cranked Marshall impression. Others may disagree but to my ears, I like the gain better on the Blackstar than the Rebel 20. Believe it or not it had a bit more low end growl and was a bit smoother. The only other gain channel I like better on any amp is the Budda Superdrive 18, 30 and 45. Of course those amps are 3 to 4 times more expensive than either the Rebel or the Blackstar. I am real curious to try out the rebel 30 and Renegade 50 amps coming from Egnater in May. I would check out the Artisan series from Blackstar but once again, I could get a Budda for what those cost. The Rebel 20 has a much more articulate clean channel but like I said the Blackstar gain channel really impressed me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom