Played the Eganter Rebel today!! Bought it!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmyohio75, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

WOW!!! I played the Eganter Rebel for 40 minutes today at GC. My favorite sales guy called me at 11:45 to tell me that they just got them in. By 12:45 I was test driving one. I helped him unpack it from the box. I have been contemplating trading in my Fender Supersonic because 60 watts seems like overkill since my band is always mic'd. After playing the Rebel my choice was easy. I promptly traded in the SS in favor of the Rebel. I played the Regbel through the matching 2x12 cab which sounded awesome but I am ordering the 1x12 cab because I don't want to haul around a 2x12(not to say I won't upgrade to the 2x12 down the road). The clean sounds from this amp surprised me. There's a lot more clean headroom than you would think. I used to own a Tiny Terror and the Rebel kicks its ass on the clean channel. The amount of gain on this amp is VERY substantial. It has every bit as much gain as my previous SS and very close to the Tiny Terror I had. The articulation on the gain channel is what sold me. Even with the gain maxed out you can hear every note clear as a bell. I have heard that this can be expected with EL84 tubes but this is my first experience with EL84's. As you may know this amp has a cool feature that allows you to utilize either 6V6 tubes or EL84's, or you can blend the two. This is so damn cool I can't believe more amp manufaturers haven't developed this feature. The power scaling feature works well also. I cannot foresee any gig situation that would not be handled by the Rebel. My main reason for ditching the SS in favor of the Rebel is because at 20 watts it's easy to get the tubes cooking into their sweet spot. This was nearly impossible(especially on the clean channel) with the SS. I am one happy camper.

2. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

MY dumbass spelled Egnater wrong......I'm dumb

3. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Supporting Member

Congrats! I played it at NAMM and was REALLY impressed.

4. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Anyone else played this yet? I want someone to confirm that this thing rocks as much as I think it does!!:dude

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

i havent played one but i already want one!

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

C'mon, you're not a "dumbass." I'd say you are a "pretty stoked dumbass" - LOL, just kiddin'!!! :AOK

Congrats on the amp. I hope you enjoy it Jimmy. Got any pictures?

Bill

7. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I think I am the last person on earth that doesn't have a digital camera yet. Of course I don't even have a plasma or flat screen TV either. All my money goes to the kids private school and guitar gear!!

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

hey you gotta change your sig now...

9. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me!!! DONE!!

10. Shine

Shine Member

I wish my experience had been the same, but it was the exact opposite. :(

11. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

What do you mean this is your first experience with EL84's? The Tiny Terror has EL84's. Glad you like the new amp.

12. rcl

rcl Member

Wow back at ya. I think I got my phone call at about the same time, got to the store at about the same time and bought it at about the same time! He had the cab, but i have the tournamster head/cab and I'll use that. Actually, that is what i played through in the store. The tiny terror is a one trick pony and is no where near this quality. I plan to set it for breakup with the guitar volumes on full so I can clean it up a little and then hit it with an OD pedal to smack it in the head. Wonderful little amp. Wish it came out a month ago and I might have save serious dollars on other amps.

13. cyndicate

cyndicate Member

I see you own a SD18 as well, how does the Egnater compare? I have a Budda SD18 right now and love that thing!

14. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I wondered if someone was going to call me on that. I realized this about a half hour after I typed it that the TT uses EL84's.

15. rrhea

rrhea Member

Does this amp have a boost of any kind? I really need that for solos. If not, will the smaller tubes allow for a noticeable boost in volume if using an external boost on the pedal board?

RR

16. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

NO boost. I am going to buy a clean boost (Boosta Grande or Electro Harmonix LPB-1) and use that as a solo boost!

17. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Hey man, I am just as stoked as you! I just got it this past weekend and... DANG! It rocks! I love all the different tones you can get out of it, not to mention, it has a ton of clean headroom when you set it up right! This thing is great! BUY ONE EVERYONE! Oh, and I love the 1x12, although I think I will be saving for an Avatar cab with A greenback and Blue! Wahoo!

18. hector

hector Member

I'm not so happy with my new Rebel 20 and matching 1x12 cab. On it's own, it does the overdrive thing very well, but I was hoping to use it clean, with pedals for dirt. It's just a tad too low on clean headroom for me. I turn master up, gain down, full amp, and all 6V6 tubes. I need to set the treble fairly low and the bass fairly high. Sounds acceptable with OCD and Rat pedals, but honestly, my Fender HRDX blows it away. Yeah, they're not in the same class exactly, but I was hoping to take something smaller than the Fender HRDX to gigs. I think the Rebel is going back in the mail. I got a smoking deal on the head and cab (under $700), but it's just not clean enough for me. I probably need at least 25-30 watts to get enough headroom.

19. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Three months later and your sig now says "Fender '59 Bassman RI LTD."

Is it sare to say the honeymoon didn't last? :cool:

20. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Before you return/sell it, try replacing the preamp tubes with 5751's or 12AT7's - you will get a lot more clean headroom.

- Chris