Played the most inspiring guitar I've ever played yesterday

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by theonlychrisj, May 22, 2015.

1. theonlychrisj

theonlychrisj Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ive never been a martin guy, and I've played world class acoustics before, but this guitar had "it." Don't know what "it" is, but good lord. Seriously the most inspiring instrument I've ever put my hands on.

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Can you describe the sound and playability?

3. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

But it, fast. Don't hesitate. Some folks never find a match, you are lucky to have found one of yours.

Even Martin gets it right once in a awhile. ;)

Like you, I have not been impressed with most of the Martins I have played over 50 years. In my memory, one in every twenty is extremely nice and invariably it is a very expensive model. I once had the pleasure of hearing three noteworthy guitarists agree with me that a pair of apparently identical Eric Clapton Signature models were distinctly different in tonal characteristics.

At some level of ear, every guitar is unique. My ear is not that mature, however, so I was shocked to hear two guitars sound so different in a side by side, witnessed and (partially) substantiated experiment.

guitararmy likes this.
  4. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Years ago I had the same thing happen to me.

To this day I still have that HD 28.

5. elicious

elicious Member

$5299 on clearance. Plus tax. lol

guitarnut_1 and theonlychrisj like this.
  6. theonlychrisj

theonlychrisj Member

I know.... insane.

7. theonlychrisj

theonlychrisj Member

It was super easy to fret, which isn't unexpected for a 5k guitar. Really balanced tonal response from bass to treble, and was super comfortable to play. I'm usually a concert body guy, so I was surprised that I liked the dred/full scale as much as I did. It just sounded like it had songs in it, if that makes sense.

8. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Sounds good. It's good to know Martin is still making good guitars.

9. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I would second the suggestion of grabbing it if you can swing it, as it surely isn't every day that a guitar speaks to you. Then again, it could just be a bad case of GAS...

theonlychrisj likes this.
  10. theonlychrisj

theonlychrisj Member

I wish, man. 5k is WAY more than I could swing. If I could, I wouldn't hesitate though.

11. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

very uninspiring price tag ....

Flugel and Tim Plains like this.
  12. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Five grand is well out of my comfort zone. WAY out of it for an acoustic.

I played a Santa Cruz many years ago. It was used and was priced around $2,800, I think. Definitely a guitar that made me feel and sound like a better acoustic player than I am. An exceptional acoustic is worth its weight in gold, unless gold is $1,200 an ounce.

I have a ~12 year old Korean Samick that also makes me sound like a better acoustic player than I am but it was only $400. Somewhere between a $400 new and $5,300 on clearance is a very nice acoustic that will last a lifetime.

:D

13. slider

slider Member

When I first looked at the photo, I thought it said 299... WHAAA?

My Martin has a complex tone... hard to explain, there's just something about it that's above all other acoustics.

14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I agree. If you have the cash, pull the trigger.

I used to have a 72 D28 that was a bit banged up, but an absolute gem. Haven't found anything Martin offers that comes close.

I've been pretty disappointed in them, and have looked elsewhere. YMMV

15. bdam123

bdam123 Member

What is that? A D28 Authentic?

I must say, the Authentic Series stuff I've played were incredible.

How often do you get to play high end stuff? Its pretty rare, at least at the GC near me, to see higher end pieces.

I'm just asking because I felt the same way the first time I walked into Mandolin Bros, except it was for like 5-6 different guitars haha.

16. DCross

DCross Member

If only about 5,400 of us here chipped in a dollar....just sayin... I would do it.

Heck, we should have a guitar of the week fund. Chip in a dollar a week and your name goes into a hat. But you have to spend entire pot on guitars (and show us).

Crash-VR, theonlychrisj and ssdeluxe like this.
  17. theonlychrisj

theonlychrisj Member

I would ABSOLUTELY do this.

18. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Seconded!

19. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

For $5299 I imagine it speaks to a lot of people but they can't speak back with the cash. Don't you hate that.

Beauty of a guitar.

20. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

I LOVE good acoustics,...and while most won't drop 5K on one...these same folks would drop 5K or more on a good electric (LOL, as this IS mostly a 'electric' guitar site until recently),...

But I find Martin and Gibson acoustic guitars fit my 'styles' of music for the most part, Martin's always seem to have a more 'Woody, articulate' sound/tone, and Gibson's seem to have a certain 'Memphis Blues' tone to them when strumming a certain way, and then can give another 'Gospel/straight Country' sound tone when strummed in a different way over the sound hole,...

BUT, out of all the Martin's I've owned besides a '02 (I believe it was) D-17GT (short lived model, totally different animal than the 'new' D-17s),...and I've had all the 'higher-end' models (besides a D-42 which has always eluded me),...I'm DEFINITELY a 18/28 series kinda guy.

Right now I have MY all time favorite Martin, '04 HD-28LSV, there was only 1219 in total of these made from '99-'early '05 and MAN what a fiddle (these are based on Clarence White's and Tony Rice's Martin's,...Tony has since moved on to SC's),...large sound hole, vintage V neck, and best of both Martin 'Worlds' as far as sound/tone goes,...not overly warm as most higher end Martin's, and not Mahogany Martin 'Bright',...Just right in the middle.

I find with most folks that a acoustic is more of a 'personal' guitar and 'kept' if you will, and when (and IF) you find the one that speaks to you,...that IS the one especially if you can afford it. I have way more $$$ tied up in my acoustics than I even do my electrics,...and I am in the process of getting ready to let at least 2 go, But I will be buried with the Martin, and 2 of my Gibson's just might come with me and the Martin (LOL...not so funny really when I reflect back on just 4 years ago this coming June 6th, I was supposed to be gone to see my maker according to most in the Medical field...still in remission and kickin' Butt). Tom

DCross and EL34 like this.