Played the new Line 6 Tonecores (Verbzilla, roto machine, Dr Distorto)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Leonc, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

AndyZ and I were at a Tele forum jam this afternoon in N Hollywood and he brought these new Tonecore pedals from Line 6. Once again, I have to say I'm quite impressed.

I'm not a huge reverb fan but I gotta give it to the Verbzilla. It's got a number of great sounding reverbs, some unique effects (e.g., oscillation on the tails) was easy to dial in and sound as good or better than the vast majority of the spring reverbs out there. Great sounding pedal.

Dr. Distorto was quite cool, the distortion sounds were decent enough though I prefer my Crunchtone. But it has this really cool feedback capability. Kinda gimmicky and only works on one note at a time, but you could get what sounds exactly like feecback at a relatively low volume. It's apparently not really making the amp feedback, but is simulating it. You can chose whether it feedsback on the note or an octove above, IIRC. Very clever stuff though kinda gimmicky.

The real winner for me was the Roto-machine. I'm getting one of these fo sho! There's nothing like a real Leslie. NOTHING. But...if you gotta use a pedal and you don't want to spend a lot, gawd DAMN this thing sounded great! The 'ramp up' speed changing features were cool and Andy got some just GREAT sounding tones from it. I WANT ONE!!! :)

I'm still really, really happy with my Crunchtone too. I gotta say it's the best damn OD/distortion pedal I've used. Built like a tank and was dirt cheap. Thing sounds so freakin good with my Ampegs, it's sick.

2. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Hey Leon...

I've been checking out the Verbzilla online and the clips sound fantastic. Of course, most of them were in stereo. Were you hearing it in mono or stereo? How did the bigger verbs translate in mono?

3. Leonc

Mono through a silver face vibrolux.

4. AndyZ

AndyZ Member

Leon, I posted similar reports over at Line 6 and my site. I may never those back how!

5. drolling

drolling Member

So someone's finally taken a shot at 'reissuing' the old Boss 'Super Feedbacker Distortion' pedal. That, the Slow Gear, the Vibrato and, of course, the analog delay are some of the most sought after discontinued Boss pedals.

If I hadn't had such uniformly bad luck with Line6 gear, I'd probably have a couple of those ToneCores.

6. Leonc

My experience with Line 6 products has been uniformly good. I've owned an AxSys 212 (upgraded w/o problems to AX2), moved up to Vetta, bought three of the early pedals, and more recently the ToneCore Crunchtone. Haven't had a bug in any of them.

I might feel the same way if I had had only bad experiences but that hasn't been the case for me.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Leon,
    How good was the Roto thingy in mono?

Best, Pete.

8. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I just picked up a Roto machine Friday night. A couple of buddy's from work and I cut out early and went Mt biking at South Mt, so I couldn't resist stopping at GC before I went home. One of the other guys is a budding guitar player (and already a certified GAS-a-holic) so he went with me.

It's pretty cool. I haven't totally put it through its paces (and I won't be able to for a week or so since I've got a lot going on around the house and I'm traveling next week). I've only used it in mono and don't have any immediate plans to hook it up in stereo since I have a mono setup.

A few comments:

It is unusable in the effects loop of my Blue Velvet. The output is significantly reduced when the effect is engaged. I'm pretty disappointed in this since I tend to put modulation effects in the loop. I still haven't tried it on the big boy (Superfly). This will have to wait until the next rehearsal, but I expect a similar result.

It does nail the Leslie sound for classics like Badge, Cold Shot and No Matter What.

Sounds fantastic with clean(er) tones, but it seems to muddy up and get a little farty with more gain. This could be due to the relatively low volumes I've been playing around with it at. Again the true test of this will have to wait for a rehearsal.

Overall, a tentative thumbs up. I've got a 30 day trail period from GC. I'm hoping the Boss RT20 comes in before the 30 days are up! From the photos the RT20 has input and output level controls so this should address the loop compatibility issues.

9. fatback

fatback Member

I got my Roto and am having a lot of fun with it. The ramp feature is a blast. It gets some very cool sounds, especially in stereo, but it is a HEAVY effect. It imprints itself all over your original tone. It WILL radically shift the eq and feel of your overdriven tones. I like it, but definately see it as a specific use pedal, not an everyday go-to pedal. I'd love to put it in a true-bypass loop with a comp and a POG before it for full demento-organ excess.:D

in the meantime I'll keep my Auralux King Trem on my studio board. It doesn't try to be a leslie. It does panning trem with two speeds and a slight chewy whoosh to it with the intensity knob up. Best of all it keeps my fundamental tone intact.

I'll be picking up the tone-core Liquid-Flange this week. Another extreme effect with some really demented sounds.

10. morgan

morgan Guest

I've had the verbzilla for a few weeks now. It's pretty sweet. I like it better than the RV5. it's got some very cool and usable modes. Sounds a lot more natural than the Boss, even at extreme settings. the octo setting is veyr neat, creating a synthy like atmospheric sound. Batteries last about 90 minutes, so the power adapter is essential on it.

11. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I tried the Rotomachine today through a Roland Jazz Chorus amp. I absolutely loved it. ...but I just don't need it.

But I want it!!

12. ABKB

ABKB Member

+1 on that drolling. Line 6 makes some great sounding stuff, but they have just never held up for me over time. Great sounding stuff is worth nothing when they break down on ya. When L6 comes out and says "hey, we have messed up here, but we want to do better and will do better", then I might start looking at thier offerings again. Until then I would rather pay more and have something last, than pay less and have it sound great and fail on me mid-song.

13. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

For those who have used the verbzilla . . .how much does it effect your tone . . . . . . . . the Line 6 stuff I tried decimated my tone . . . .I'm hoping the Verbzilla is different.

14. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

+ 1 ... the cave and octo effects are awsome for my style music ... but i'm hesitating on picking one up because of past line 6 issues.

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Just like Walmart and "Big Oil" people love to hate Line 6...

I love my L6 Echopark!! IMO still the best all around live delay pedal made! (no qualifyer)

16. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've had an Echo Park since the very beginning, and I was fortunate to get one with no noise issues at all. And it doesn't adversely affect my tone, even though it's not true bypass. I agree that it's probably the most feature laden and versatile stomp delay available, with excellent tones, and at an incredible price. Well built too.

I went out this afternoon and bought a Verbzilla from GC to try one out with the EP in a wet/dry/wet configuration. I'm feeding the EP with a mono line level signal, direct out after the power amp of my Kingsley Deluxe 32. The D32 line out has a level control, so I put it down to 9:00, and it is working just fine - no overloaded signal into the EP.

Then, I'm feeding the Verbzilla a stereo signal direct from the EP, and then going stereo out of the Verbzilla into a Carvin DCM150 (50W/channel @ 8 ohms), which is driving 2-10s for my stereo wet fx signal. I wanted to buy a Space Chorus, but GC didn't have any. I would have put that first in line before the EP.

No tone issues using them this way either. I'm actually liking this setup better than my tc G Major. I don't have presets this way, but I have more instant tweakability on the fly. And the fx tonal qualities are just as good, if not better.

Very impressive.

17. Leonc

Bet that sounds BIG Ron! Cool. That Verbzilla was quite impressive. I have no "tone robbing" issues with my Line 6 pedals. I think some guys are ultra sensitive about these kinds of things. Lucky for me, I'm not, so I don't have to drop 300 bux on a pedal to be happy :).

18. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Hey Leon...

It is quite BIG! And as I mentioned, the more I'm playing with it, the more I'm seriously considering ditching my tc G Major. I don't use many of the other fx in the GM anyway - mostly delay, chorus and reverb. But you have to then program it for all the variations you might want. I'm finding it pretty fast to change the Verbzilla and EP, which inspires creativity and experimentation in a much more real time environment.

Hmmm...

With a Space Chorus, it would be just perfect.

19. oxtone

oxtone Member

I've also had good sounds from an Echo Park, and no noise issues at all! It's my first L6 product (I hate PODs), and no issues with it. I also use a Boss DD-20, which is great, but the Echo Park has it's own vibe...I'd like to hear the Verbzilla, as I still use an RV-5. Off to GC tomorrow....

20. ABKB

ABKB Member

Mmm, I wouldnt say that, at least in my case. As I mentioned, I do think L6 makes good sounding products. but when I have had them die on me mid-song LIVE, I think I have a better reason for not liking L6 than just disliking "the man". Besides, I dont know but I think Roland/Boss is actually a bigger company than L6, and I have no problem with Boss.