Played the new LP Standard

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wilerty, Aug 3, 2008.

1. wilerty

wilerty Member

Who else has played the new one? Stopped by my local GC today and they handed me their first one to try. I was VERY impressed. I'm very conscious of neck carve and the new asymetrical neck is just fabulous. The setup was perfect and the fret work was just right. I didn't have time to plug it in but the feel in my hand was the best of any LP I've tried in a long time. The finish work was excellent. Good job Gibson.

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I haven't been in a music store in years but it's nice to hear positive reviews. The bashing gets tiresome.

Thanks

3. kselbee

kselbee Member

Glad to hear. I've been anxiously awaiting the new 2008 models as I'm seriously considering one. I've been wanting to upgrade my studio and when I saw these new specs I thought they looked perfect!

4. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

I checked one out yesterday- they are very, very nice indeed. Fit and finish were outstanding, and the neck was really nice. Very loud acoustically, and sounded very open when plugged into an amp. I could tell it was chambered- it wasn't as focused as a regular Standard, but it had it's own thing going on that was cool. If you're NOT looking for the classic LP tone, it's a very nice guitar with some really cool details. However, for a more classic vibe I think the Traditional might be a better way to go.

Still, I applaud Gibson for making a guitar like this- nice job!

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

I played a few LP Traditionals when they first came out and was very impressed. The factory Plek appears to be working well.

6. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

7. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I played 2 at my store that came in a few days ago. They are very nice and both were consistent with each other. The plek was nice although they were both set for medium action with no buzzing anywhere. Only thing I didn't like was the clear control plate and the look of the circuit board that the pots were mounted to.

8. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

+1 :( What is Gibson thinking?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  9. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

I agree. Who cares what the electronics look like. Who the heck pops open the cover and goes corksniffer on how the pots are hooked up?

I played 2 Les Paul Traditionals and they both rocked. Some of the best LP's I've played in a long while.

10. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Maybe not you - but I guess some people are more meticulous on when they inspect the guitars :) Sometimes you find certain suprises that you thought a guitar that price range shouldn't. It's always best to check.

11. bilbal

bilbal Member

Some of us like to be certain that the money we spend on gear warrants such high prices. What is so ":(:NUTS:worried" about someone checking a guitar thoroughly to make sure that what he's getting is, in fact, worth the cash? If he wants to take the control cavity cover off to make sure things look right, it's up to him. IMO, being so concerned as to make sure things are done correctly is a hell of a lot better of a practice than taking for granted that it is - especially when it comes to mass produced pieces that, as of late, have been subject to many flaws in quality control.

Bill

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  12. hank

hank Member

I thought the guitar is over-priced at $2500 street. I liked the neck profile and the general workmanship was very good.

Hate the tuners. :confused::messedup

13. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

You may be able to get 'em for less.....I was quoted $2200, and that wasn't with any haggling.

14. kselbee

kselbee Member

That's good to hear. MF has then for $2600 I think and I was a little shocked by that.

15. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

I guess I wasn't clear but I was agreeing with jazzandmetal?

I also don't like the new Printed Circut board and pots with the plug in Pick ups. Some things should just be left as they are. Guess Gibson is trying to save some $ by cutting down on the labor to solder the old school pots. We all know many do replace/upgrade their electronics but now looks like this could definitey convince many more new owners to replace that would normally not upgrade.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  16. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I am 21, and I know all of you more "experienced" guys will probably scoff at me for this, but remember the days when a les paul standard was $1800, standard plus was $2100 and the les paul classic was $1499? just a thought

17. Droptopandy

Droptopandy Supporting Member

So when you're checking out a new guitar you're going to pull out a screwdriver and pop the cover off the back to see how it's wired? If the guitar plays and sounds great would that really matter? If it didn't play and sound great to me i wouldn't bother worrying about how my volume knob is hooked up.

18. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Generally the pots used by Gibson (unless they're the Custom Shop or Historics) are linear volume pots with an odd/unusable taper which results in a big change from the audio taper pots.

Every single linear taper pot I get is swapped for a 500K CTS (or favorite wiring harness upgrade maker...currently I'm digging the WCR kits) immediately. That fits my style of rolling the volume knobs from clean to OD tones.

Others may not find it important... but the other thing is that if it's on a printed circuit board, it may necessitate changing all four pots if just one goes bad.

That's going to make it more expensive to repair.

19. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Not only inconvenient/costly,I prefer the audio taper pots,50's wiring,either original Sprague 'Bees,or WCR caps...

20. Michael T

Michael T Member

I am looking forward to trying the new Traditionals and the new Standards out....they both seem pretty cool.