• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Played the perfect acoustic, collings OM1

Cuthbert

Was visiting Tucson and went into Rainbow Music which is a great music store. Anyway picked up a Collings OM1 with Mahogany sides! and fell in love big time. I thought I wanted a rosewood guitar but this one sounded like a grand piano. The only problem is can't spend $4199... a month has gone by and I'm still thinking about her...I mean I could probably get a used one off the bay for half that but what are the odds it wil be like that perfect one in Tucson? also buying guitars without playing them makes no sense to me.

Ogre

You will not find one for half that price, as Collings hold their value better than most. You might be lucky enough to find one for 2500-2800, but they usually don't go for less than 3K.

Barnzy

If you can't own it...you gotta forget about it. Another one will not sound the same...that's how individual acoustic guitars are. But on another day, along will come some other guitar with tone to dream for and you will be ready....
Barnzy

frquent flyer

There's more pretty guitars than one,more pretty guitars than one;every town I ramble around,there's more pretty guitars than one.

facesfan

I'd say keep looking. I've seen OM-1's go for ridiculously low prices at times....$2,000-2,200. Collings are so consistent that you might find one as good or better than the one you played.

Crash-VR

Silver Supporting Member
For half the price there's such thing as close enough. For 2/3 the price not so much... I must say of all the money I've spent on gear, the $4500 I spent on a Santa Cruz OM is the best money I've ever spent.

Dereksslide

It's like driving a top of the range BMW and then having to go back to your Volkswagen, not an advisable thing if your happiness relies on enjoyment of the Volkswagen.

zombywoof

My wife still talks about a Collings 12 string she played at Mass Street Music six or so years ago. She has never forgotten that guitar.

Yossi

I picked up a Collings OM1-A several years ago and it is a great sounding and playing guitar. The A is for Adirondack spruce top.
Mine has a Trinity mini pickup installed too. Is it the perfect acoustic?
That depends on perfect for what? The OM is a good size for a combination of both finger style and flat picking. It's small enough to be very comfortable. It wouldn't be my first choice for loud strumming, bluegrass type of music.

serviviente7

If u got the money go for it...if u dont its time to move on....there will be other great guitars available.... Maybe for a lot less

Matt F

OM1 is a great guitar. Back in 2009 I was convinced I wanted an OM1c (Hog/Adi/Cutaway) and the local store allowed me to take her home and get intimate with her. I was able to A/B it next to a Martin OMC-18LJ Laurence Juber model (from the second run). It has the same "specs" as the Collings (Hog/Adi/Cutaway). I ended up choosing the Martin because I thought the high end was a bit sweeter to my ears. For me either were perfect solo fingerstyle guitars.

Not sure if Martin is still making the mahogany Jubers or not? If they are I would seek one out to try it if you don't mind the cutaway.

I'm definately not saying one is "better" than the other. Both were exceptional. However, the OMC-18lj was a better fit for my tastes. YMMV :)

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
i played a $5,800 Lowden at Rudy's in NYC a couple summers ago...i know how you feel

dporto

Chances are that over time it will become even "better" in your mind and even if you eventually buy it, it will never live up to the lofty psychological standard you've built it up to...Forget about her, move on, she'll only break your heart, kid...

DanR

About a year and a half ago, I played a Collings OM-2H which was probably the best sounding guitar (I'm partial to the OM style and rosewood back and sides) I ever played. It was definitely the best one I played that day at Elderly Instruments. And no, I didn't buy it. It would have been about $3750 out the door but I ended up buying a slightly used Martin OM-28 Custom Shop model that was just a little more than half the price of the Collings and as close as you could come to sounding as good. I was also prepared to pay up to $4K on that shopping adventure.

riffmeister

Silver Supporting Member
Was visiting Tucson and went into Rainbow Music which is a great music store. Anyway picked up a Collings OM1 with Mahogany sides! and fell in love big time. I thought I wanted a rosewood guitar but this one sounded like a grand piano. The only problem is can't spend $4199... a month has gone by and I'm still thinking about her...I mean I could probably get a used one off the bay for half that but what are the odds it wil be like that perfect one in Tucson? also buying guitars without playing them makes no sense to me.
Make them an offer. You never know.

I am a happy OM1A owner (mahogany sides/back, Adirondack spruce top) for the last 10 years. Before that I had an OM2H (Indian rosewood sides/back, sitka spruce top) which was a fine guitar but when I played the OM1A it was Game Over.

lamenlovinit

Make them an offer. You never know.

I am a happy OM1A owner (mahogany sides/back, Adirondack spruce top) for the last 10 years. Before that I had an OM2H (Indian rosewood sides/back, sitka spruce top) which was a fine guitar but when I played the OM1A it was Game Over.
It's always subjective, and there's always some individual instrument character that shines through. But that being said, a good mahogany OM/OOO is hands down my favorite play at home instrument. Great for gigging too, but in the home, it sounds so much better than a rosewood to my tastes.

Top Bottom