• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Played the Strymon Timeline Your opinons?

yoshiii

Hello

I played the Strymon Timeline but wasnt really impressed. I liked the reverse delay and the delay that gave the sound a stuttering staccato type delay.

Wouldnt a rack unit Delay or something similar be better than the timeline for digital delay? (not counting the analog and tape delay simulations)

I think its better to have a dedicated pedal for the analog or tape delay sound.

What is everyones opinion on the Timeline pedal?

Is it a good digital delay? I am thinking maybe going Boss for digital delay.

earwax

I prefer the DIG myself for digital delay sounds but the Digital and Lofi section of the Timeline are quite good. Try Boss though. It’s very nice as well. The heart wants what it wants.

LawrenceBr

Well I can't speak for everyone, but it is one of the most successful (and probably best) delay pedals ever made.

If something else is better? Only if you think so I guess. I personally love the digital delay of the Lucky Cat because it is very clean. I also love the digital delay on an arp-87, but it actually sounds more like a clean tape.

Also:

yoshiii

Well I can't speak for everyone, but it is one of the most successful (and probably best) delay pedals ever made.

If something else is better? Only if you think so I guess. I personally love the digital delay of the Lucky Cat because it is very clean. I also love the digital delay on an arp-87, but it actually sounds more like a clean tape.

Also:
I played it and nothing really stood out to me. Some of the delays sound too digital.
Good pedal but dont see why its better than some of the other multi delay pedals.

I had one for awhile years ago...great features, just didn’t deliver on the sound. Digital modeling just doesn’t sound as good as the real thing, so I’m sticking with dedicated units.

yes, rack delays are hard to beat for digital. There are a few good analog ones, too.

LawrenceBr

I played it and nothing really stood out to me. Some of the delays sound too digital.
Good pedal but dont see why its better than some of the other multi delay pedals.
Well, different things for different people;)
I'm not a fan of multi-anything really, but if you want that, I'd take a look at either the Boss DD500 or the Empress Echosystem.

yoshiii

I had one for awhile years ago...great features, just didn’t deliver on the sound. Digital modeling just doesn’t sound as good as the real thing, so I’m sticking with dedicated units.

yes, rack delays are hard to beat for digital. There are a few good analog ones, too.
Do you know of any good (old or new) rack units to look at?
Does anyone make a rack unit delay in a pedal, non modeling?

Well, different things for different people;)
I'm not a fan of multi-anything really, but if you want that, I'd take a look at either the Boss DD500 or the Empress Echosystem.
The DD500 is like having all of the boss DD pedals in one unit? How is the DD200?

DonaldDemon

IMO Timeline is fantastic at ambient delays, maybe the best. For standard digital, tape or analog sounds, it falls flat for me. It always has this smear that fades it behind the guitar signal, which is cool if you want that but I don't and there is no way to change that character. I have my TL sitting in a box and went back to using my DD200. I will say the stereo imaging on the TL is awesome, but again for big ambient washy stuff. I would look at the DD500 if you want digital clean delays.

cubistguitar

I wasn’t a fan when I tried it as well. I had delays that I liked already and wasn’t impressed.

Of the super delays out there, I have been impressed with Boss, Source Audio, Empress, and Line 6 HX.

yoshiii

If you want versatility, good sounds and analog dry-thru, the timeline remains the one.

For $450 new, it remains the one.
I think its versatile but not what I want in a digital delay. Too many tricks in one box, so dont think it does digital delay great.

I am going to get the Deco and maybe El Cap so dont need those features. Already own a MXR Carbon Copy.

IMO Timeline is fantastic at ambient delays, maybe the best. For standard digital, tape or analog sounds, it falls flat for me. It always has this smear that fades it behind the guitar signal, which is cool if you want that but I don't and there is no way to change that character. I have my TL sitting in a box and went back to using my DD200. I will say the stereo imaging on the TL is awesome, but again for big ambient washy stuff. I would look at the DD500 if you want digital clean delays.
Ok, thinking of Boss. Would the DD200 be good or go with the DD500?

yoshiii

I wasn’t a fan when I tried it as well. I had delays that I liked already and wasn’t impressed.

Of the super delays out there, I have been impressed with Boss, Source Audio, Empress, and Line 6 HX.
Ohhhhh.

What ones from Source Audio and Empress are good? The Line 6HX is good? Thought that is a modeling platform?

Do you know of any good (old or new) rack units to look at?
Does anyone make a rack unit delay in a pedal, non modeling?
My favorite digital rack delay is the korg sdd2000, with my modification of the front end. Some rack delays have a low input impedance, and need a buffer in front. The stock SDD 2000 works better with a buffer if you run it in front of your amp.

lexicon has some good ones, I’ve got a pcm41 which is good. Yamaha d1500 is a good one, often available in the $50-100 range. Roland SDE series. A real sleeper are the half rack boss units with the long chip, rdd-10 and rdd-20 which have short times and modulation, or rsd 10 (box of madness) but it’s 2 seconds, no modulation used normally. I think those are $50-100. The de-200 is one I’m curious about, kind of like an SDE with knobs. Ibanez has a series of delays, too, which I haven’t checked out yet. Kind of waiting for a really good deal.
The deltalab stuff is interesting, haven’t messed with one in a long time.

i don’t like the digitech rds/time machine ones for regular delays, they can do some fun looping things, though.

I think there are some new pedals which are the same approach, digital with analog modulation, no dsp. Eventide Rose and there was another I saw that I can’t remember. There’s a thread about guys making a pedal lexicon pcm42. I haven’t checked those out as I prefer to bottom feed on cheap rack stuff.

InkStained

I think its versatile but not what I want in a digital delay. Too many tricks in one box, so dont think it does digital delay great.

I am going to get the Deco and maybe El Cap so dont need those features. Already own a MXR Carbon Copy.

I don't have a Deco or a Dig, but I agree the El Cap has a more beautiful, impactful tape sound.

yoshiii

My favorite digital rack delay is the korg sdd2000, with my modification of the front end. Some rack delays have a low input impedance, and need a buffer in front. The stock SDD 2000 works better with a buffer if you run it in front of your amp.

lexicon has some good ones, I’ve got a pcm41 which is good. Yamaha d1500 is a good one, often available in the $50-100 range. Roland SDE series. A real sleeper are the half rack boss units with the long chip, rdd-10 and rdd-20 which have short times and modulation, or rsd 10 (box of madness) but it’s 2 seconds, no modulation used normally. I think those are $50-100. The de-200 is one I’m curious about, kind of like an SDE with knobs. Ibanez has a series of delays, too, which I haven’t checked out yet. Kind of waiting for a really good deal.

i don’t like the digitech rds/time machine ones for regular delays, they can do some fun looping things, though.

I think there are some new pedals which are the same approach, digital with analog modulation, no dsp. Eventide Rose and there was another I saw that I can’t remember. There’s a thread about guys making a pedal lexicon pcm42. I haven’t checked those out as I prefer to bottom feed on cheap rack stuff.
Thanks

cubistguitar

Ohhhhh.

What ones from Source Audio and Empress are good? The Line 6HX is good? Thought that is a modeling platform?
I am familiar with the Source Audio Collider because a friend has one, gets phenomenal tones that make me check his board looking for a new delay, but it’s the Collider every time. I believe it is just a truncated version of the Nemesis delay so the Collider can include reverbs too. Empress makes the Echosystem that sounds great and doesn’t require an editor to dial in. I always thought the old Superdelay sounded great, but the new one looks way cooler. I have used the HX Stomp a lot and love it, the delays are a big feature. They always sound great and they keep adding to this platform through updates. The new Glitch Delay is a lot fun and pretty easy to dial in unique textures. I think the HX FX is a lot like the Stomp tones, just without amp and cab modeling. A good friend at church has a new modeler to replace his HX Stomp but likes the Stomp for the delays and fx.

yoshiii

I am familiar with the Source Audio Collider because a friend has one, gets phenomenal tones that make me check his board looking for a new delay, but it’s the Collider every time. I believe it is just a truncated version of the Nemesis delay so the Collider can include reverbs too. Empress makes the Echosystem that sounds great and doesn’t require an editor to dial in. I always thought the old Superdelay sounded great, but the new one looks way cooler. I have used the HX Stomp a lot and love it, the delays are a big feature. They always sound great and they keep adding to this platform through updates. The new Glitch Delay is a lot fun and pretty easy to dial in unique textures. I think the HX FX is a lot like the Stomp tones, just without amp and cab modeling. A good friend at church has a new modeler to replace his HX Stomp but likes the Stomp for the delays and fx.
Cool, thanks will check these out.

yoshiii

Do you think the Boss DD500 or the DD200 has the sounds of the Roland delays that you mentioned? I will run the digital delays thru a effects loop on the amp.

DonaldDemon

Ok, thinking of Boss. Would the DD200 be good or go with the DD500?
I would think the 500 would be better but I only had a short time on that compared to my 200. If you need the versatility go with the 500.

Trending Topics