Players that stick with one guitar?

Revelation

You see people like BB King, Albert King, John Scofield, George Benson, Stevie Ray and Larry Carlton (for the most part) Rory Gallagher, Joe Pass, Carlos Santana (for the most part), Chet Atkins sticking with one guitar when you see them play live all the time. Could you be satisfied staying with just one guitar (or two of the same) when playing out?

Sushi Box FX

Silver Supporting Member
Yup. I'm a weird one, I don't like having more than one. I only get a new guitar if it's better than my old guitar, and then I usually get rid of my old guitar. I own one acoustic, one electric, and one bass. But each one cost more than my first car.

alex1fly

Few things are worse, in a band situation, than a bandmate that brings different gear to every rehearsal or show and spends their time tweaking the new gear to sound like the old gear.

For me gigging with familiar gear takes a lot of guesswork away - and experimentation is more apparent in the studio.

CapnRex

There is something to be said about a signature sound. Petrucci, Yngwie, and a few others that I love have that. Then there's Paul Gilbert who tends to use a new guitar and general tone for every solo album now. He seems to get inspiration from the instrument.

I can see both sides.

For me, variety is the spice if life.

CapnRex

I feel there is a correlation between the one guitar/one amp folks and the amount of success they achieve.

Basically, if you eliminate the gear chase and just focus on playing and writing, you do better overall.

To be clear, I am NOT one of those folks. Wish I was.

It's surely not about being a better player. They are all quite good enough to handle multiple guitars. It's that they have found the sound that sells their music.

I would far prefer David Gilmour playing a strat to him playing an SG. I would far prefer hearing Angus Young playing an SG to him playing a strat.

I have no doubt they could play the other guitar quite well, but they have found a particular match for the music they are known for.

RRfireblade

Not going to comment on everyone listed but many of them had many guitars. BB King got a new Lucille like every year. "Performing" with a signature look can be and is likely for a whole different purpose. The whole gear chasing arguement, IMO, is just a BS statement with zero connection to anything.

Ddur

It really depend on what player you are. If you're a studio or gig player, I suppose having a choices for each gig is helpful.

If you're a loser playing in a crappy band (like myself), I found that focusing on one guitar and having another similar one as a backup/tuning alternative is the ideal combo (Tele and Strat, Tele and Gibson w/ p90, Les Paul and 335...)

Oinkus

Played one guitar only for a couple decades but it was just because I couldn't afford another one. Never had any issues using other guitars once I got some it really doesn't matter to me what I play. That is mostly from having to learn how to do Strat stuff on an LP all of those years.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I'm definitely a one guitar guy, but I love Tele's and semi-hollows equally, so it ends up being half the year with one and half with the other. lol

Gotta have a couple of each though, in case one is in the shop. But I definitely have my main one of each, so it's usually just one at a time..

I don't gig, but hypothetically if I did, I could definitely do it on 1 guitar with versatile wiring, but I'd be a little happier with 2. That way I can have access to a neck single coil and a neck humbucker.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom